Broadband Help

markt112

We are switching over to BT infinity tomorrow. Ive noticed on the setup instructions it says to connect to the master socket. Does anyone know if this really matters?  I also haven't got a clue which socket in our house is the master socket - a friend told me you can tell by the face plate but a while ago we changed all the face plates to brass so all 6 look exactly the same. 

If it does matter about the master socket is it easy to move?

Cheers

If it's one of those powerline adapter things, any mains socket should work perfectly.

Don't know what these are so I'm guessing we haven't got one

Edited by markt112

Don't know what these are so I'm guessing we haven't got one

powerline-adaptors.gif

Probably this, BT will supply you with one.

Edited by DavidCore89

powerline-adaptors.gif

Probably this, BT will supply you with one.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Got the Home Hub 5 through the post today ready for tomorrow but there wasn't one of these in the box

If it's one of those powerline adapter things, any mains socket should work perfectly.

Just remembered about this socket this morning... Its the only one thats any different. I forgot about it as its a fucking nightmare to get to (unused)

WP_20150129_00_21_00_Pro_zpsjlimooiv.jpg

3 wires going into it and if I unplug any of those white things the whole internet goes off (but theres no line coming out from it), would this be the master socket?

All the rest are the same as this:

WP_20150129_09_23_28_Pro_zpsag76m0zb.jpg

Edited by markt112

Just remembered about this socket this morning... Its the only one thats any different. I forgot about it as its a fucking nightmare to get to (unused)

WP_20150129_00_21_00_Pro_zpsjlimooiv.jpg

3 wires going into it and if I unplug any of those white things the whole internet goes off (but theres no line coming out from it), would this be the master socket?

That looks correct to me, if the net goes off when this is unplugged the it's definitely the master for the internet.

• Like 1

That looks correct to me, if the net goes off when this is unplugged the it's definitely the master for the internet.

Could the problem I'm getting now be linked with changing to infinity?   I can't join any public lobbys, I'm only able to enter an invite only session :/ Was working fine yesterday with infinity, just started earlier on today and I've never had it before. Can it still be a problem with the internet if its letting me in invite only sessions fine? 

Spoke to someone at BT they told me the problem is to do with port forwarding.  Got an email of how to do it but they said I'd have to find out myself which ports to open and I haven't got a clue :/

Found this on the PS Forums. I don't know how accurate it is. Now, did they tell you how to do port forwarding? This may differ depending on the router you are using.

LInk: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/Port-Forwarding-my-PS3/td-p/27520695

Port Forwarding my PS3
May 25, 2008

dcy4WAR wrote:

Playstation
Network Required Ports
TCP 80

TCP 443

TCP 5223

UDP 3478

UDP 3479

UDP 3658

Remote Play & Gaming Required Ports
TCP 80

TCP 443

TCP 5223

TCP 9293

TCP 10070-10080

UDP 3478

UDP 3479

UDP 3658

UDP 10070

UDP 3658 is used for voice/video chat, not required.

9293 is the only port required for remote play, enable the other ports on a game by game basis.

The only one you will need to "forward" is 9293 for remote play, the others just need to be unblocked/open in the firewall.

kQ4fIRp.png

Thanks for the help...   Had a mess about with the internet connection and port forwarding. Someone also suggested disabling UPNP and seems to be working fine now :)

Edited by markt112

Thanks for the help...   Had a mess about with the internet connection and port forwarding. Someone also suggested disabling UPNP and seems to be working fine now :)

You may get some compatibility issues when trying to connect to certain players with UPNP disabled, glad it's working though!

• Like 1