Snapmatic inspiration

Beez

The other night BeezWife and I chose this documentary to watch - http://www.findingvivianmaier.com/. I figured it would be pretty dull and I’d fall asleep but instead I found it very interesting and was more engaged in it than some races I watch. It also got me thinking about how I could use some of Vivian’s framing and composition techniques with the Snapmatic in GTA. Here’s my first attempt.

0_0.jpg

I won’t say anything more and let you draw your own conclusions if you decide to watch the documentary. I watched it on Amazon instant video, not sure where else it is available.

http://www.findingvivianmaier.com/

What sources of inspiration do you draw from when taking Snapmatics?

Edited by Beez620

Wondered what the grid was for.....

hahaha  Most good photographers do this instinctively anyway so you probably do this already without even knowing  :D

I'm pleased I didn't know about the thirds thing when we trying to get the perfect lazer shot......

Anyway, on topic..

Most of my pics are spur of the moment, I'll see something I think will look good as a pic and whip my ifruit out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ever wonder what those lines are for on your Snapmatic camera? Or your camera phone in real life?

This video explains the Rule of Thirds and a lot more.

These tips are from the guy who took that iconic National Geographic photo of the Afghan woman

• Like 1

I love the photography feature of the game and the fact the crew highlights it. I draw inspiration from all over, I love dynamic angles, sharp contrasts, ironic or clever, etc. I really wish we had a little more control over angles, or maybe we do and i just havent practiced enough lol I do alot of real world photography and graphics, so its a challenge to try and recreate some of that in game 

• Like 1

Sandking is a great photography vehicle. It can go just about anywhere including deep water but it's narrower than a Liberator.

It's tall so you can get a higher angle on your subject or use it as a ladder to get on a building that doesn't have any real ladders.

• Like 1

Still my favourite thing to do in gta is take photos, that maybe weird in a game full of murderous rampaging and full throttle racing, but I can spend ages exploring the map alone in one of my favourite cars (usually observing the rules of the road) looking for inspiration and experimenting with angles and lighting.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

12314108_972347429492932_100776204304086

Anyone up to recreate this with a Massacro in Paelto Bay? This was taken by a professional photographer friend in northern California.

Here's a tip some of you know but many might not. I need more practice with it.

Get farther away from your subject, then use zoom to frame it. Tap L1 to change depth of field then use R2 to lock focus on your subject.

Stuff behind and in front of your subject will be out of focus.

• Like 2

I took a few pic of my Jester yesterday but they're not showing on RSC. is there something I'm missing ? Does it work like on PS3 ?

I believe you have to upload each picture from the in-game gallery to RSC.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@Beez : Beautiful photos. It's amazing he was able to capture such high speed vehicles with such and ancient camera.

I like how the pics are grainy, and the blur on the sides. Only one spot is clear and that really puts the focus on the main subject. The eye is not distracted by anything else.

Really love the result.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I didn't know if I should put this in the Car Videos topic or this one but it is more about photography than just cool cars. Hope it inspires some ideas.

• Like 1