ipad mini, some guidance

Looking to get one for my daughter, but I have no experience with apple. There seems to be different generations and price. No need for 3g or 4G, WiFi is enough. Is there anyone who knows a bit more about the different generations?

Best value is the iPad mini 2 with the much better processor versus the first gen (A7 over A5 I think) plus it has the retina display. Worth it because it has much more horsepower so will be more future proof / better resale value. The latest (3rd gen) is a waste of money in most people's opinion as it doesn't add anything significant over the 2nd gen (new colour choices and a fingerprint reader basically).

• Like 1

We work with these at University and I can second Beans' comment. There is no real improvement over the Mini 2, same display, same camera - no real improvement. Go with the Mini 2.

I'd also agree with what's been posted. I'm using my iPad mini 2 to type this. It's great, I replaced an ipad 2 with this mini 2 and much prefer it. It's nice and light and the display is great.