What did you do without PSN this Xmas?

Matty

With the Christmas hack this year, nearly all of us have experienced difficulties getting online to play our favourite game. This has been frustrating to say the least, but we're are a resilient crew and I know we won't have let it get us down too much.

I am really interested to know what you all did instead of hitting the streets of Los Santos.

I'll go first....

I actually used the time to message and reconnect with friends, catch up on some PC gaming and I installed my new car stereo.

I also drank and ate far to much, and am not stopping there :D

• Like 2

yFn5uY6.png

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matty

• ScottyB

• G37

• Maha

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been one to really game on Xmas for a number of years, since I was younger (pfft, makes me sound like grandpa dinosaur Hatch - don't hit me).

Usually hang out and go see family, big ordeals for dinner and food and really just shit like that.

• Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I haven't been one to really game on Xmas for a number of years, since I was younger (pfft, makes me sound like grandpa dinosaur Hatch - don't hit me).

Usually hang out and go see family, big ordeals for dinner and food and really just shit like that.

You're safe for now G, I think hatch is offline :lol:

• Like 1

yFn5uY6.png

I heard Sony got hacked. How bad did it screw up GTAO?

Not hacked, subjugated to a massive DDoS attack, or Distributed Denial of Service. Essentially these people flooded XBL and PSN networks with fake traffic to the point of crippling the servers where they'd have to be taken offline.

PSN goes down, so too does access to GTAO. R* servers seemed to have stayed up though but it didn't matter. Attacks now have stopped. XBL is back on line mostly while PSN is still down (for maintenance they say lol). PS3 could get spot coverage over the last 2 days while PS4 had virtually zero. Things are still down overall though and definitely for the PS4.

• Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Sucks that it happened for all of us plus people that just got new systems or new games especially since they are still having issues. Personally i was working nights all week so i didnt have time to get on anyway but felt for all the people who tried and couldn't

• Like 1

I heard Sony got hacked. How bad did it screw up GTAO?

Nothing got screwed up with gtao as far as I know, being able to actually play was sporadic at best. Some people missed the snow entirely too.

Good news is that R* are extending the Christmas presents due to the hack, or so I read (can't remember where).

How was your Xmas beez?

yFn5uY6.png

After talking to the npcs for a few hours and realising the conversation was going nowhere, I decided to open the blinds and step outside into the hot Australian sun. As my pasty white skin started to burn, I knew I needed to withdraw back into my man cave and send several complaint letters to rockstar, stating how they have ruined Christmas...

Haha I'm sorry I had too :) I actually got up a bit early and got on for a bit to get my surpirse, only to realise that they don't count Australia's Christmas cause we are too far in the future :( I played around in the snow a bit then got off and cooked breakfast for my gf, and washed up all the dishes from her mums bday the day before, and then got ready and went to see her family for Christmas.

Busy time of year so I haven't had any time to get on and have fortunately missed out on all the outages :P

• Like 3

scottyb1988.jpg

We played Playroom on Rose's PS4 for awhile. I was to tired to really do much other than bitch about being tired.

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Family functions, eating, drinking, napping....as far as games go, started a new story mode in GTA, might finally start The Last of Us tonight.

• Like 1

After talking to the npcs for a few hours and realising the conversation was going nowhere, I decided to open the blinds and step outside into the hot Australian sun. As my pasty white skin started to burn, I knew I needed to withdraw back into my man cave and send several complaint letters to rockstar, stating how they have ruined Christmas...

Haha I'm sorry I had too :) I actually got up a bit early and got on for a bit to get my surpirse, only to realise that they don't count Australia's Christmas cause we are too far in the future :( I played around in the snow a bit then got off and cooked breakfast for my gf, and washed up all the dishes from her mums bday the day before, and then got ready and went to see her family for Christmas.

Busy time of year so I haven't had any time to get on and have fortunately missed out on all the outages :P

You can't really blame R* or Sony, as G said it was a huge attack of server requests, up to 10gb I believe. If you think about how much data a login request would usually be (just bytes) that's a pretty big attack.

All will be right again soon and we can all get back to working on our pastey gamers tans :D

• Like 1

yFn5uY6.png

I drove a few hours with my gf to visit my mom, sister and 1 yo nephew that I never get to see :) basically just lounged around and watched movies but had a great time catching up!

• Like 2

What amazes me though, is that it doesn't sound like a hard thing to do, and you would think that there would be some safe gaurd against it. Hacking something to gain information is one thing but overloading a server wouldn't be as hard (you would think) and can have pretty devastating effects.

Didn't effect me at all but how upsetting would it be if you got a brand new console and or games and now you can't login :P oh well haha

scottyb1988.jpg

We played Playroom on Rose's PS4 for awhile. I was to tired to really do much other than bitch about being tired.

Is playroom any good? Is it a motion sensing thing-a-me-jig?

yFn5uY6.png

Is playroom any good? Is it a motion sensing thing-a-me-jig?

Gotta have PS4 camera, it is a cool side game for the family to have a bit of fun, kids really like it.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Well that sucks, sounds like a bunch of hacker dicks ruining other peoples fun, for what? Did they make any money from it?

R* said snow will last until Jan 5 so hopefully I'll get a chance to experience it in game. My Xmas was great but I did not get a PS4 so I'll still be there for my PS3 brothers and sisters for the foreseeable future! I plan to be as active as possible and keep the ps3 squad strong.

• Like 2

What amazes me though, is that it doesn't sound like a hard thing to do, and you would think that there would be some safe gaurd against it. Hacking something to gain information is one thing but overloading a server wouldn't be as hard (you would think) and can have pretty devastating effects.

Didn't effect me at all but how upsetting would it be if you got a brand new console and or games and now you can't login :P oh well haha

I was watching a couple InfoSec experts/analysts being interviewed on CNN earlier...they were saying no personal info was stolen, but if these groups can take down PSN and XBL, they could do the same to stock markets, power grids, stuff with real life impacts.

• Like 1

It's scary shit, I read on Twitter that Sony paid off lizard squad with 300k of gift cards. But it was on Twitter so make what you will of that information.

I hope they didn't, otherwise every Tom, Dick and Harry will start this shit. We certainly don't need any more of these nob sniffing arse munchers out there.

yFn5uY6.png

Well that sucks, sounds like a bunch of hacker dicks ruining other peoples fun, for what? Did they make any money from it?

R* said snow will last until Jan 5 so hopefully I'll get a chance to experience it in game. My Xmas was great but I did not get a PS4 so I'll still be there for my PS3 brothers and sisters for the foreseeable future! I plan to be as active as possible and keep the ps3 squad strong.

Glad you had a good one beez. :) The ps3 presence was good tonight as its been the most reliable. It wasn't you guys was it? :lol:

yFn5uY6.png

These hackers need to do something good, like erase my credit history. I watched two movies today and am playing far cry 4, and getting the flu or a cold i think.

• Like 1

Now I'm annoyed, can't get on due to maintainence.. Maybe I should buy Xbox one :P

I was just reading an article on an interview with the lizard squad about what had happened and they claim that Sony and Microsoft are monkeys at keyboards and this is to teach them to be better and up their security.. They also said you either need a lot of equipment to do it on your own or be able to hack and make other computers do it which is what they did. They also said that it is an easy thing to do

I was watching a couple InfoSec experts/analysts being interviewed on CNN earlier...they were saying no personal info was stolen, but if these groups can take down PSN and XBL, they could do the same to stock markets, power grids, stuff with real life impacts.

Yeah that's what I was referring too, with Sony and Microsoft down, it isn't too bad and they could do a lot worse and you would think there would be some protection against it. Problem is no matter how good the security is some one will always find a hole in it

scottyb1988.jpg

Chrismas Eve and Day are spent entirely with the family, so there wouldn't have been any gaming for me anyway.  Other then that, catching up on a ton of movies I already had for a while, but never watched.  Think I saw 8 in two days/nights :)  If PSN continues to be down, I'll watch some more or maybe play some SP. And since they predict some RL snow here, I might as well get my lazy @rse out of the sofa, go for a long walk and get some fresh air...

• Like 1

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

I didn't even know this had happened. I've been suffering from acute man flu and on deaths door the last few days. Reading websites and using a controller have been way too painful as I lay on my deathbed (sofa).

I still have man flu so if you never hear from me again you know why.  : THIRST :

• Like 1

I didn't even know this had happened. I've been suffering from acute man flu and on deaths door the last few days. Reading websites and using a controller have been way too painful as I lay on my deathbed (sofa).

I still have man flu so if you never hear from me again you know why.  : THIRST :

Alcohol kills germs shortround.....just sayin' :D

• Like 1

yFn5uY6.png

I luckily played a bit of GTAO before the downtime and could play a bit with snow. Threw some snowballs on NPCs then a few races then had to go out. I went for a nice walk with my wife around the city, near the river part. Quite cold but clear day. :)

• Like 1