Ps4 media server

Kudisanga

A week gone after the big surprise from the wife, and starting to thing that something fishy with sony. New generation console and you cant even stream you own music or movies files? Seriously? 2014 and you give me less quality than predecessor ps3? One of the best feature and you left out!

I am not paying subs for a music service when i own a huge music library, same to amazon shit i have my own tv and movies.

It was IMO the best feature any console would have. Hopefuly they will follow m$ and put the media player back on.

Rant over

It's done so Sony can protect themselves against copyrights and not allow it's users to listen to or watch content that you do not have the rights to. such as music files that were not paid for.

It's either pay for the streaming services, take advantage of free apps (after subscribing to PS+) or nothing at all, as most newer tech will not allow the playback of copyrighted material.

Edited by DavidCore89

It makes sense to me, I'd guess that 90% of most PC/laptop HDD's are full of suspicious files.

If Sony do introduce the multimedia player again, I very much doubt it would include video playback as I can't see many people purchasing a Blu-ray, playing it on a PC/laptop and then streaming it to the PS4 when the PS4 has decent services available.

Most movie companies use Blu-ray protection, so that would block the vast majority of movies being streamed due to them being suspicious, the remaining people who bought the movie would probably not consider streaming it through the media server as it's not really the first thing you think of when considering a movie at home.

Music is pretty much the same without the high level of protection - however, just by purchasing a song or movie it does not give any rights to stream, copy, broadcast or record the content, you've only purchased the royalties to view/listen to the content yourself while the the full rights stay with the composer/movie studio.

I hope the media server is brought back, but with some level of protection against rips, otherwise it will be a storm of low quality 91 kbps YouTube audio rips and movie torrents.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

Thanks.

@david

I really get your point but it was them (sony and m$) sold to us the idea of complete game console and multimedia device in one. Hell i paid a lot a money for it to be just a game console.

We need move forward not backwards and the moment for me ps3 still have a killer feature that new generation ps4 don't.

Yes i can use my pc/laptop for that but to me i don't want my ps4 just for gaming i want to be able to access my library and with my big tv on leaving room sofa!

In the end it's business 101 but they will revert back as M$ just did a few patch ago.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have you considered raspberry pi as a media server? It would mean hooking up an additional device to your TV, but you would have nearly unlimited freedom as to what to do with it. (Even though I agree with you that the ps4 should have such a feature, I feel it would be much more limited in features than what the rpi has to offer)

A step forwards at last, a version of Plex is now available for the PS4. You do need a Plex pass subscription to use it at the moment, but they are indicating a free version will be available later.

• 6 months later...

At last it's here the media server on ps4, they took their time but in the end i believe not having this from start when ps3 had, was a wrong move by Sony..

somehow i didn't even realized until this weekend when when media player was ready to download

• Like 1

Aw Yis.....One of my favorite things of my Xbox360 was playing while listening to my own music collection

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.