Domestic Battery Cookbook

Jaggy

Since all we seem to do in the shoutbox is talk about food (and pumpkin spice lattes), I figured we should all share our favorite recipes in this thread.

I'll start.  :)

This meal has been a go-to every week in our house.  It's not healthy at all, but it's a good comfort food.

Loaded Chicken and Potatoes

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cubed
6-8 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/3 c olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp hot sauce

Topping:

2 c fiesta blend cheese
1 c crumbled bacon
1 c diced green onion

How to Make:

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2.  In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and hot sauce.  Add the cubed potatoes and chicken and stir to coat.  Carefully scoop the potatoes and chicken into the prepared baking dish.
3.  Bake the potatoes and chicken for 55-60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes, until cooked through, crispy, and browned on the outside.  While the potatoes are cooking, fry your bacon (about half a pound).
4.  Once the potatoes and chicken are fully cooked, remove from the oven.  Top the cooked potatoes with the cheese, bacon, and green onion.  Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

• Like 9

chicken - fennel

Difficulty: low

Time: about 1 hour

Dish level: low (1 pot only)

Ingredients:

- 1 or 2 chicken breast

- 1 fresh fennel

- 1 big onion

- 6 potatoes

- 2 garlick toes (?)

- 1/5 liter dry white wine

- butter or oil (whatever you fancy)

- bit of cream

- 1 bush of fresh parsley

- thyme

- bayleaf

- pepper/salt

- 1 star anise

- 2 spoons of grain mustard

- 5 spring onions

Preparation:

- cut the chicken in lumps of approx 1 square inch. Doesn't need to be precise.

- heat up the butter/oil in a pot and fry the chicken. Add a bit of salt and pepper

- important is that the chicken only gets a little brown crust on the outside. So relative high fire and a couple of minutes per side.  Rest of the cooking is done later

- once done, remove the chicken from the pot, turn down the fire a bit, add some extra butter/oil if needed and then add the finely chopped onion and squashed garlic

- let that become a bit glazy ( should only take a few mins) and then add the very roughly chopped fennel (just cut it lentgh wise, 1/2 inch thick)

- let the fennel fry with the onion and garlic for a few mins

- add the spices like some thyme, bayleaf, star anise (1 max !) and the twigs of the parsley (tie them together with a cooking wire)

- then add the chicken back to the pot

- put in the white wine and let it come to a boiling (alcohol needs to get out)

- then add some cream and the mustard

- add some big chunks of potatoe (if they're real fresh, no need to peel them)

- let it go on a soft fire for about 20-30 mins

- then add finely chopped parsley and the spring onions

- have a taste and add a bit of pepper/salt if needed

Enjoy !

• Like 3

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

We need 2 threads for this, this topic and another for the stoners of the crew to post the shit they put together when the munchies set in.

• Like 9

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

If anyone has any thanksgiving dishes they would like to share that would be appreciated, I'm making one for my family because the one I had in America was amazing  : SLOBBER :

Oh, I've got to post scalloped corn when I get home. Think of it as fluffy extra moist corn bread, but like a salty sweet dish that is covered in crushed crackers and butter. Yeah, it's healthy.

Pumpkin Spice Martini

I was at a bar last night and this was one of their specials. I thought of you, LV-Jag but I didn't have one.

Ingredients

1.5 fluid ounces of vanilla flavored vodka (such as Stoli)

1.5 fluid ounces of Irish cream liqueur (such as Bailey's)

1.5 fluid ounces of  pumpkin flavored liqueur (such as Hiram Walker)

1 cup ice cubes

1 pinch ground cinnamon

1 pinch ground nutmeg

Directions

Pour the vanilla flavored vodka, Irish cream liqueur, and pumpkin flavored liqueur into a cocktail shaker over ice. Cover, and shake until the outside of the shaker has frosted. Strain into a chilled martini glass, and garnish with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg to serve.

Let us know how is is.

• Like 1

Pumpkin Spice Martini

I was at a bar last night and this was one of their specials. I thought of you, LV-Jag but I didn't have one.

Ingredients

1 cup ice cubes

1 pinch ground cinnamon

1 pinch ground nutmeg

Directions

Pour the vanilla flavored vodka, Irish cream liqueur, and pumpkin flavored liqueur into a cocktail shaker over ice. Cover, and shake until the outside of the shaker has frosted. Strain into a chilled martini glass, and garnish with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg to serve.

Let us know how is is.

Umm... no wine for me this weekend.  I'm making this!  :D

• Like 1

rice - provencal sauce - meat/fish

Difficulty: relatively low

Time: about 30-45 mins

Dish level: medium

This is a dish you can get very creative with. You can use any kind of fish or meat: pork, veal, beef, chicken, turkey, mixed pork/veal sausages, brochettes, ... whatever you like. Also works very well with a BBQ or grill. You can also play around with the herbs by sticking to just one or two or mixing up a whole bunch of them.

Ingredients:

- meat, in my case some mixed sausages

- olive oil

- 1 cup of rice (I use long grain)

- 2 cups of water (or vegetable broth if you have any)

- pepper and salt

- 2 shallots

- 2-3 fresh paprika's (yellow, red, green, pick and combine what you like).

- 150 grams of mushrooms (the ones you buy in the supermarket, not the other kind ...)

- 1 big glass of white wine, water or vegetable broth for the sauce (again, whatever you have available or prefer)

- 4 fresh tomatoes or a can of tomatoes

- herbs: the classic threesome (thyme, bayleaf and parsley).  I sometimes also use a mix of herbs I took back from the south of France (dried oregano, dill, basil, thyme, bayleaf, sage, rosemary and what not). Anything that sort of gives the medditeranean taste/feeling, will work :)

Preparation:

- finely chop the shallots and crush the garlic

- let them glaze in a pot with the olive oil (few mins)

- then add the cleaned and roughly chopped paprika's (if u don't digest them well, peel them first and avoid the green ones)

- after some mins, add the tomatoes (peeled if they are fresh. Put them in boiling water for 10-15 seconds, then into ice cold water and then you can peel them very easily. If you can't be arsed to do all that, open a can of peeled tomatoes)

- put in the glass of moist (white wine, broth or water), the herbs, a litte pepper and salt

- let the sauce go for 30 mins on a soft fire and stir from time to time

- in the meantime put one cup of rice and 2 cups of water or broth in another pot + a little salt.  Let that boil soflty (should take about 10 mins). Stir regularly not to burn the rice. If you want to go the fancy way: glaze some finely chopped shalot in some olive oil, add the rice and then the moist. Gives a slightly richer taste to the rice.

- fry your meat in a pan, grill, BBQ, ... with a little olive oil and maybe some extra herbs used in the sauce

- 5-10 mins before the sauce is finished, add the roughly chopped mushrooms to the sauce

- have a taste, add some extra S&P or herbs if needed

Job done. Enjoy !

Note to Fido: sauce provencale classique, simple comme bonjour et tres connue en France et en Belgique. Pas vraiment le grand secret culinaire ;)

Edited by ronin1904

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

Pumpkin Spice Martini

Ingredients

1 cup ice cubes

1 pinch ground cinnamon

1 pinch ground nutmeg

Directions

Let us know how is is.

OK, so these things are delcious.  They are like liquid pumpkin pies.  Super yummy.  Two of them after a half a bottle of wine and it's like, whoa OMG... I'm drunk.  So yummhy.  <3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has any thanksgiving dishes they would like to share that would be appreciated, I'm making one for my family because the one I had in America was amazing  : SLOBBER :

Here you go Dani.

Thanksgiving Stuffing by Beez's Mother-in-Law

This recipe for stuffing is a happy accident that resulted from my MIL not reading the recipe correctly. The family has been making it this way ever since and I've never had better stuffing. Also we don't bother putting it in the bird, we just bake it in a casserole dish.

Ingredients

1 cup butter

3/4 cup finely minced onion

1 1/2 cups chopped celery, stalks and leaves

1 tbsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1 Tbsp. dried sage

1 Tbsp. thyme

1 Tbsp. marjoram

1 Tbsp. poultry seasoning

12 cups (3 quarts) bread cubes, 1/2" to 3/4" dried or stale

1-1/2 cups chicken, turkey or vegetable broth to moisten

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet. Add onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add celery. Stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper and all herbs. Turn into a deep bowl, add bread. Pour a little broth over and stir, continue until broth is gone or before bread is too mushy.

Put in 350 degree oven ( or whatever it's at for what else you're baking). Keep covered for about 30 minutes, bake another 15-30 to make it have a crispy top.

The reason it's so good is it has too much herbs in it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ronin's Fajitas

Difficulty: low

Time: about 30 mins

Dish level: low

Ingredients:

Pork chops or chicken breast or beef ....

Paprika's

Onion

1 spoon of cumine

1 spoon of stof paprika powder

Olive oil

Lime

Sambal (properly HOT red paste based on red peppers)

P&S

Wraps (sort of pancake-like tortilla)

Sour cream

Avocado

Coriander

Preparation:

- cut the meat in slim long pieces, 1/3 inches wide

- mix it in a bowl with a (small) tea spoon of sambal, spoon of cumine and paprika powder, juice of half a lime, P&S and a spoon of olive oil

- fry in a non-sticky pan

- add paprika's and onions, also cut in long slim pieces

- frying meat and veggies shouldn't take very long on a relatively high fire

- make some guacamole (avocado, P&S, chopped fresh coriander, juice from half a lime + whatever rocks your cradle)

- warm up some wraps

- lay down the wrap, across the middle line put a layer of the meat and veggies, add a layer of the guacamole, add a layer of sour cream, add some chopped fresh coriander

- roll it up in a piece of aluminium paper

- alternatively, put the rolls (without the aluminium) in an oven tray thingy, add some cheese on top and have that grilled ....

Easy and quick. Works on a lot of occasions: cut it in small parts and you got something to go with the summer's aperitive, you can have it warm as dinner, cold as lunch or simply take one from the fridge if you get the munchies during a PL. Out of experience, I know the latter works :D

Edited by ronin1904
  • Like 1

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I'm back... and have returned with a delicious recipe for you Ronin!!   :)  Because let's be honest, I'm only here for recipes and death matches.   ;)

Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried basil

1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp salt & pepper (freshly ground pepper)
12 oz penne pasta
1 lb asparagus (trim off the ends and steam)
1 1/2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, minced

1 3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream or half and half
3 oz Neufchatel cheese (aka light cream cheese), diced into pieces
1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
4 - 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled into small pieces (optional)

Directions:

In a small bowl, stir together basil, oregano, thyme and 1/4 salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of the herb mixture evenly over tops of chicken. Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken to skillet, herbed side down, then add remaining herb mixture to tops of chicken. Cook chicken until fully cooked through, about 8 - 12 minutes, occasionally rotating chicken (time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts. If chicken is browning too quickly reduce heat to medium low as needed). Transfer cooked chicken to a plate, let rest 5 minutes then dice into pieces.

Meanwhile cook pasta according to directions listed on package, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water before draining.

In a clean skillet (large and deep), melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer, stirring constantly. While whisking, slowly pour in milk then cream (whisk vigorously to break up clumps). Season with salt and pepper to taste (a fair amount of each) and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Once it reaches a boil and thickens, reduce heat to medium-low, add Neufchatel and parmesan cheese and cook, stirring frequently, until cheeses have melted.

Toss in cooked pasta, then add cooked chicken, steamed asparagus and bacon and toss to evenly coat. Add in reserved pasta water as desired (it will thicken as it rests and the pasta will absorb the liquids, so add up to 1/2 cup as needed). Serve immediately.

• Like 1

LV, I made this tonight and it is truly DELICIOUS !!!

Did adapt the method to what I'm used to, but did not change the ingredients as such.

I cut up the fresh chicken breast in little cubes and then put them in a marinade of the above herbs and olive oil.  Then fried them in a non sticky-pan.  Halfway through, I then added some crushed garlic (just to avoid the garlic getting burned ...).

As for the sauce I first made a roux which is basically the same chemical principle as you describe above, just a little different.  Melt 60% butter and add 40% flour once the butter is melted (reverse the proportions depending on the thickness you desire). Leave it on the fire until you start smelling a buiscit like odor. Then add COLD milk/cream, get that to a soft boil and then add all the rest of the stuff: the crushed garlic, cheese, P&S, etc etc The sauce will then become thicker. I then added the cubes of marinated chicken to the sauce and let that go for a while, about the time it takes to cook the pasta. I then finished off the sauce with a bit of the asparagus cooking water as well as the pasta water (can't steam ...) to lift the sauce a bit and give it that nice glaze.  Wished I had some fresh parsley and maybe a bit of lemon just to give it that little extra touch ;)

I could not find Neufchatel cheese at my local supermarket, so I used some properly old Camembert. Similar type of cheese, but VERY smelly and with a strong, salty, pronounced taste. Warning: the smell is horrendous ! I imagine it would also work nicely with a Roquefort type of cheese (that salty cheese with the blue fungus on the inside :P)

Overall, fantastic recipe ! This is most definitely a keeper.

I know of an easy variation but with another cheese, mushrooms and sausage meat. Will post later.

Also, I think this would go well with some fresh Norwegian or Scottish salmon. Instead of the chicken cubes, just wrap the asparagus in the fresh salmon, top of with the sauce (maybe a mousseline version of it) and serve with bread/pasta and a cold dry white wine : SLOBBER :

Edited by ronin
  • Like 1

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

I'm back... and have returned with a delicious recipe for you Ronin!!   :)  Because let's be honest, I'm only here for recipes and death matches.   ;)

Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta

Ingredients:

4 - 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled into small pieces (optional)

Since when is bacon optional?

• Like 2

Since when is bacon optional?

Bacon is never optional for me.  :lol:

Some people might be on some weird diet that says they can't have bacon.  Who knows how this world works?!  The bacon makes this recipe so much more delicious.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I usually just collect recipes online and sometimes adjust them to my liking, otherwise I use this book (bible) a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Spoon-New-Phaidon-Press/dp/0714862568/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422465412&sr=8-1

6240913760_ed2724bdcd_o.jpg  The_Silver_Spoon_by_Phaidon_Press.jpg

A must have if you're even a little into Italian food/cooking. You can pretty much find any dish in there and then some. Not to mention all the basic methods and even cookware explained.

I might share my own recipe for octopus salad next time I'm making it though. Probably my best dish. ;)

• Like 3