Following, Notifications and Your Content

JuniorChubb

Question

This thread will be for questions about setting your notifications and features to get the most out of the website and find the content you want to read.

The guide and tips below are what I have picked up from browsing on PC/Laptop and Tablet. Unfortunate I do not use a phone but the same rules will apply but the screenshots will not match up.

Homepage

The website makes use of its Homepage feature to make the websites goals clear and to promote its activity to new visitors. If you would rather skip the home page and go straight to the forum or your crew section then make use of your browsers Bookmark function so the website opens up on your preferred page when visiting.

We have discussed removing the Homepage but right now promoting the website is our main goal and the home page is a great promotional tool for showcasing the activity within the website.

Following Content

Deciding what content to Follow or not to Follow can really make browsing the website and forums a lot quicker and easier. You can follow whole sections (such as the RDR Online section), individual threads (the Football Thread for example), users streams or even follow other users.

You can manually set what content you decide to Follow or change your settings to Follow any threads you post in or reply too. 

Once you have decided what you want to Follow you can adapt your Notifications so you can keep track of your favourite parts of the website and forums.

I have set mine to Follow all content I post in or reply to automatically, I find this easier as I can then Un-Follow the content I don’t want come back to.

1-Follow.jpg

Notifications

Notification settings may differ greatly from user to user, some like browser alerts, some like emails. You should be able to tweak your Notification Settings to get things just right for you. You can access Notification Settings via the Notification Icon at the top of the screen.

So with ‘Auto Follow Content’ and Notifications set to my preference I get a Notification on the Bell Icon at the top of the screen every time someone posts in a thread I have posted in, this makes finding the content I am interested in nice and simple and also stops me from missing responses that do not Quote me directly.

You may want a completely different set up to what I use, but whatever you want this is the place to get your Notifications to behave how you want them to. Just chose the option that suits you best. I have also not selected ‘Play a sound when I receive a notification’ to stop any sound being played when receiving Messages or Notifications.

1-Notifications.jpg

I prefer not to get lots of emails about my Notifications so I have ‘A notification when new content is posted’ selected. If you scroll down on the Notifications Settings section you can decide whether to receive Emails or Notifications or both for different website events. I have turned off emails for everything possible to keep my email from getting overloaded and just set the websites Notification system to keep me updated. I have also turned Browser Notifications off too as I only want Notifications whilst browsing the website.

1-Notifications-2.jpg

Don’t forget to hit Save when you are done.

Activity

If you do not want to use Notifications you can use the Activity link in the main menu to see what has been recently posted. This will let you check on the latest Unread Content, Content I Started, Content I Follow, Content I Posted In and Members I Follow.

Just hit/click/tap Activity then choose your option, personally I go for ‘Content I Posted In’ to get a quick summary of any replies to any threads I have posted in but may not be following. 

1-Activity.jpg

Forums

You also have a bit of control on how you can view the Forums section too. Try the different layout options next to the ‘Start New Topic’ button on the Forums page to find the style that suits you best. You can switch between Table, Grid and Fluid.

I prefer the table layout but many who are more comfortable with using Social Media may prefer the Fluid Layout. The Fluid Layout also lets you tailor what you see with options on the right hand side of the page (see the Fluid Layout below).

1-Fluid.jpg

You can also increase the number of Topics that display in the ‘Recent Topics’ box on the Forums page. I have increased mine from 5 to 10 so I can see more of the recently updated threads straight from the Forums Page.

You can also exclude selected sections to, so if you don’t want any GTA topics in your Recent Topics just chose to exclude them. 

These settings are available on your Account Settings from the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Hopefully these tips will help you navigate the website and tailor it to your needs. I have just picked up all these myself from browsing and investigating the options.

Manage Content

If you need to change the settings for any content you are already Following just browse to the Manage followed Content options form the drop down menu in the top right corner of the page. From here you can control how you receive Notifications for all the different Threads, Sections of users that you follow.

1-Managed-Content.jpg

TL;DR

Make sure you follow the Content you want to keep track of, otherwise go to Activity/Content I posted In to retrace your steps.

If you have any questions just ask below or if I have anything wrong also let me know and I will update this post.

Remember… Follow that content!

• Like 4

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

5 answers to this question

Giving this a bump, I know the question come up about notifications being different by default than on the XDBX site

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

@JuniorChubb, I edited the OP, pics were broken from the merge, I restored them

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Cheers @JustHatched I went over these yesterday to remind myself.

Seeing as you sorted the pics I popped in and cleared up a very embarrassing Calibri font infection that the post was suffering from.

• Haha 2

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

15 minutes ago, Dodge said:

That sounds far more serious than it is, I think. 😀

I think they make a pill for that, possibly a suppository 

• Haha 1