PS4 Impressions

JustHatched

This will be a simple topic of my impressions of the PS4 as I get it setup and running and figuring out the menu and what.

For reference I will be using the Sniper Elite 3 game as well (was going to get the Destiny bundle but decided against a white PS4 plus Sniper was on sale)

Since I am at work now the only thing I can comment on is going to get it, first thought - Good god this thing is heavy compared to the PS3.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Nice u that u got one aswell , few months ago i bought one aswell , and the moment i held the new controller i was in love , i think its so much better then the ds3. Although i havent been using the ps4 it for atleast a month now idk why lol.

Now the question is .. is it heavier than the old 60 GB PS3? Cuz I still have it and I swear it's at least 10 pounds alongside my PS3 Slim.

Edited by G37

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Dunno, never had a huge PS3. Mine is the middle weight.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

googled it

''The PS4's size measure 275 x 53 x 305 mm, while weighing around 2.8kg (6.17 lb). That is significantly lighter than the original fat PS3 which was 5kg (11.02 lb) and slightly lighter than the slim PS3 which weighed 3.49kg (7.7 lb).''

• Like 1

I be putting on the scale tonight cuz I swear my 3 isn't that heavy

I have no concerns about the console. 

My biggest concern is the controller....the touchpad doesnt seem that it would be very useful in my limited modern-gen console gaming experience and I hope the dimensions are somewhat larger for larger hands. The L2/R2 buttons on the PS3 controller are TERRIBLE.

handcuff_charlie.jpg

I have no concerns about the console. 

My biggest concern is the controller....the touchpad doesnt seem that it would be very useful in my limited modern-gen console gaming experience and I hope the dimensions are somewhat larger for larger hands. The L2/R2 buttons on the PS3 controller are TERRIBLE.

As far as the controller goes it feels smaller to me over all, it's not much wider than a PS3 controller, but with making room for the touch pad the feel for haning on to it seems less. R and L buttons feel fine though.

I'll give you better feedback after messing with it some more.

The original ps3s are tanks! I've got the 80gb and a ps4 and oh my god I never noticed how heavy the 3 was till I just read this post and had a comparison. The thing with the ps4 is that it almost feels flimsy. Like you don't want to sqeeze it to hard or it will break. Where the ps3 feels like it could roll down the stairs lol. My opinion on the controller is that they do feel smaller but they're more comfortable in your hand. Comfortably fit in your plans and the joysticks are grooved and I think easier to stay gripped to. Funny thing is I to have had my 4 collecting dust since gta came out. Can't wait to make the switch to next gen gtaonline. The possibilities with where R* takes it is exciting.

You Want Peace, Prepare For War

The possibilities are certainly exciting.

Unfortunately their track record for execution is pathetic. I have not played an online game with worse support, worse attention to detail, worse record of fixing bugs/glitches.

It isn't rocket science either. They have well over 1000 people working on this game. That is larger than most companies in the USA. I played Star Wars Galaxies online for several years which was ridiculously more complex than this game over 10 years ago. The bugs/glitches/exploits paled in comparison to GTA Online. Rockstar simply doesn't give enough of a shit to dedicate the appropriate amount of resources to straighten the game out....and we all pre-order the next game, so why should they?

handcuff_charlie.jpg

The original ps3s are tanks! I've got the 80gb and a ps4 and oh my god I never noticed how heavy the 3 was till I just read this post and had a comparison. The thing with the ps4 is that it almost feels flimsy. Like you don't want to sqeeze it to hard or it will break. Where the ps3 feels like it could roll down the stairs lol. My opinion on the controller is that they do feel smaller but they're more comfortable in your hand. Comfortably fit in your plans and the joysticks are grooved and I think easier to stay gripped to. Funny thing is I to have had my 4 collecting dust since gta came out. Can't wait to make the switch to next gen gtaonline. The possibilities with where R* takes it is exciting.

yep , my ps3 slim fell twice from the closet, about 1.5 meter high only a smal dent in it but absolute no troubles with it

The possibilities are certainly exciting.

Unfortunately their track record for execution is pathetic. I have not played an online game with worse support, worse attention to detail, worse record of fixing bugs/glitches.

It isn't rocket science either. They have well over 1000 people working on this game. That is larger than most companies in the USA. I played Star Wars Galaxies online for several years which was ridiculously more complex than this game over 10 years ago. The bugs/glitches/exploits paled in comparison to GTA Online. Rockstar simply doesn't give enough of a shit to dedicate the appropriate amount of resources to straighten the game out....and we all pre-order the next game, so why should they?

Of course not speaking for GTA, but I did play Sniper Elite last night online on the PS4 for several hours (got my ass kicked may times over as well) and not once experienced lag or a disconnect. Dunno if it is due to Sony's paid service or the game servers.

The traffic for a game like that is also a fraction of what it is on GTAO, so while I'm sure the hardware most definitely helps, I think a lot of it has to do with in comparison how few play one vs the other.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

The traffic for a game like that is also a fraction of what it is on GTAO, so while I'm sure the hardware most definitely helps, I think a lot of it has to do with in comparison how few play one vs the other.

That's true

Traffic for SWG was at least as heavy, using 10 yr old tech. Hundreds of players per server. There really is no excuse for this in 2014. The draw/render distances are one thing, platform limited, the rest is just crap execution.

handcuff_charlie.jpg

Best thing IMO about the PS4 is the ability to live stream without the need for a computer and the ability to download DLC's and play at the same time.

All in all not counting anything about a game the PS4 is unimpressive in terms of apps compared to the PS3, they are basically the same just with a new XBM which is nice one you figure your way around it.

Does it stream to its own service? Or does it need to be linked to a 3rd party site?

Not sure what you mean, I went to the Twitch settings on it and it gave me the option of logging in to Twitch with a current account or make a new one (the option I used), 5 minutes later I was streaming.

That's basically what I was getting at.

Do we provide a twitch account info, or was there some new "PSN" streaming site. 

Do we still need capture devices to record/edit? I really don't use twitch, the device I use streams absolute shit quality so I never fooled around to see if streams can be recorded.

handcuff_charlie.jpg

You can use your twitch log in info and do not need a capture card.

What you will need a capture card for is to record for youtube, the PS4 is able and I have done it is to upload its own video to facebook. but it is pretty limited on the amount of time. If had to guess its 3-5 minutes of video.

Something worth looking into, I have the elgato card, when I got it the instuctions said it did not support PS4 due to some legal shit with Sony, since then an update came out for it with PS4 ability but I have not tried it yet. Dunno if it effects other captures cards or not.