Race format discussion

Mythaga

Moving this discussion in here from PSN chat...

After the drama on Monday, the general consensus is that we need to rethink the race format we traditionally use for one off events.

The current format consists of the Tyre Handicap System™ and reverse grids. This was designed to even the field up and give the slower drivers a chance.

I have my personal opinions on the matter which I am going to keep to myself as I want to hear other peoples points of view first.

So, do we keep the current system or change it? If so what to? Fire away... 🤔

Happy to chuck my tuppence in Myth...

I think drama might be a bit over inflating slightly, I just think a few issues we regularly have were exaggerated by the cars on Monday.

I fully agree with your post on PSN about issues of people buying a car 5 mins before an event and then having issues driving it on the night, I was guilty of this myself. However we all need to be aware that the race is rarely won on the first corner and need to ease of the gas a little if a slower or more inexperienced driver is in front rather than trying to get round them as if it was a World Championship race.

I feel the tyre handicap system works well and sees different players swapping places on the podium as opposed to the same person winning every race.

I do have an issue with reverse grids though. Sticking the slower/inexperienced drivers at the front concertinas us together on the first couple of corners as the quick try to overtake the slow. Due to this I believe reverse grids make things worse. If we are going to use reverse grids then rolling starts may ease the problem, otherwise  would prefer grids with the faster players up front so they can challenge each other, the slower races at the back so they can challenge each other.

I also think ghosting is something we should look at using, especially when we have over 10 players racing or if the cars are a little tricky to control. I know it is not for 'purists' but on nights like Paulie's it should be considered, where as in GTOC maybe not use it.

• Like 3

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

A full reverse grid definitely causes issues. Agree with @JuniorChubb completely on this. The slower drivers get used as obstacles and punted off track without any thought.

I can see why it’s good to mix up the grid, it makes it more of a challenge for the faster drivers. There is a potential solution though involving manual grids. 

Its slightly more setup work but it’s easy to keep track of as a host. First race, qualify as normal. Fastest first. 

Subsequent races, split the field in two and then manually apply the reverse grid to both halves of the field. This is what is done in GP2, GP3 etc. 

For a field of eight cars the grid would line up like this: 4,3,2,1,8,7,6,5

The grid is mixed up but the faster drivers are separated from the slower cars. 

It will be easy to create a spreadsheet to make the job of working out the grid easier and it’s only slightly more work for the hosts to do before a race. 

Personally I prefer weight changes over tyre changes to balance things out but for the casual nights the tyre change system is simple enough to work without any additional effort. 

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 1

@Squirrel that may be a little complicated to use for every race but happy to try it out here and there.

I share your feelings of being muscled out, can I just confirm whether we use the following rule or not...

If you knock another player off the track or are responsible for a pile up, you pull up and wait for the drivers involved.

I try and follow this, just wondering if it is something we are following on GTS or if it’s just a hang up of mine from GTA?

On 3/6/2019 at 1:12 PM, JuniorChubb said:

@Squirrel that may be a little complicated to use for every race but happy to try it out here and there.

I share your feelings of being muscled out, can I just confirm whether we use the following rule or not...

If you knock another player off the track or are responsible for a pile up, you pull up and wait for the drivers involved.

I try and follow this, just wondering if it is something we are following on GTS or if it’s just a hang up of mine from GTA?

Yes. Always follow this. Sometimes it can be marginal as to who is at fault, but the sporting thing is to wait and apologise.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ajh_1990 said:

Yes. Always follow this. Sometimes it can be marginal as to who is at fault, but the sporting thing is to wait and apologise.

👍

Let’s hope we see more of it then AJ, I see a lot more crashes than I see people waiting by the side of the track.

Edited by JuniorChubb
  • Like 2