PS5 SSD

So I purchased the Western Digital WD_Black SN850 NVMe SSD, 1Tb 2280.

It has a listed read speed of up to 7000 MB/s though the PS5 itself maxed out at 6552 MB/s read speed.

After formatting the ssd it said there would be 850+ GB of free storage, but in reality I can use 1.1Tb which is approximately 250Gb more than expected.

Also this is very important get one with a built on heatsink, this is recommended by PlayStation to have on the SSD, so don't cheap out and get one that doesn't come with a built on heatsink as it most likely will burn out over time, but if so you can buy an after market one just shop around and install A.S.A.P.

I transfered a 66Gb game from the internal SSD to the new SSD, and it took 43 seconds. That's crazy fast as it would take 28+ minutes on a PS4 for reference.

Make sure when purchasing a SSD for your PS5 it has between:

1) 5500-7000MB/s Read speed

2) NVMe Gen 4.0

3) 250Gb - 4Tb storage

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Sony has updated the PS5 system software so not only will it just store PS4 games, but now you can play them using a cheap external hard drive preferably RPM 7,200, and then store your PS5 games on the internal SSD.

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 3