Hiking w/ Hannabis (50km+ in 4 days)

Hannabis_80

I had an impromptu over-nighter on Golden Ears over the weekend and it got me motivated to go out again.  I've had this route planned for awhile now.  Silverhope River Valley Trails, it's actually part of the TCT (Trans Canada Trail).  I was hoping to record this trip, but since my move I've been unable to locate my camera equipment.  (And my sub-par quality cell phone pics aren't looking too good so far)

I'll be starting (8/28) in Hope BC after breakfast at Rolly's Restaurant, (if you ever drive by Hope go there and order the fruit waffles), ending at the Chilliwack Lake Campground FSR entrance (9/01).  There are a few lakes along the way I'll be hiking to (Eaton & Swanee Lake), and I left a few options open depending on the weather and how tired I am.

51QF8PSl.jpg

What's in your Bag?

ebo0sGXl.jpg

Starting at the Top Left (top to bottom)

- Headlamps (I can't decide which one I like, so I'm bring both to field test)
- Bug Mesh & Hat
- Map & Compass
- Book "but I don't want to be a pirate!!!"
- First Aid Kit

- Mug

- Spice missile

- Spork & Spatula

- Silicone Bowl

- Toiletries / Towel

- TP & Cat Trowel (yes I have to poop in a hole)

- Pot & Pan

- Stove "wood burning" (Video

- Lighter, Matches (my son "borrowed" my flint stick w/o returning) LED light.

- Dish soap & Scrubber

- Katadyn Water Filter & 1L Nalgene

- Hiking Poles

- Misc cord

- Spare Socks 

- Sleeping Bag, liner & pillow

- Tent, pegs & poles

- Hammock (I normally only bring one or the other, but I have extra space and it's only 8oz)

- Tarp

- Sleeping Pad

- Guy lines

- I do have some extra clothes, fleece etc I forgot to put in.

As you can see I'm not into the ultra-light gear, plus I normally end up carrying someone else's share (son, gf), so the extra weight doesn't matter a whole lot anymore.

Food:  2,550 - 2,670 Cal / Day (I'll save you the calories / pound info)  

*disregard the coffee cup I forgot to move it, but fun fact it's the same one in my profile pic :)

AFwSiial.jpg

Total weight: 49lbs (54lbs is the max I should carry comfortable)

8.8lbs water, 9lbs food, 5.8lbs bag & 25lbs for gear, which isn't bad, not ultra light either, I could easily drop 10 - 15lbs.

CBejhVul.jpg

I will hopefully have some nice pics to post on Monday / Tuesday when I get home.

• Like 5

Ooooohhh!!! Is it too late to join you? :)

Sounds absolutely amazing!

Sooo envious! :P

No bears there?

Just curious... What is the Euro fascination with Bears?

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

Ooooohhh!!! Is it too late to join you? :)

Sounds absolutely amazing!

Sooo envious! :P

No bears there?

Lots of bears & mountain lions, I have a bear bag to store my food in (no pic).  I've come across bears a few times, I don't bother w/ a bell or spray and I've never had an issue.  Rodents and birds are more annoying.

Bear spray? :lol: I guess my guns spray... kinda

What. No pot to smoke? What kind of Canadian backpacking trip is this! ;)

Lol. Looks like great fun man. Be careful

Just curious... What is the Euro fascination with Bears?

I would probably shit myself if a bear came to visit me during the night when camping. :lol:

There's probably no real wilderness in Europe like there is in Canada and USA, I mean there's probably "civilization" no more than 10 miles away from anywhere in Europe and bears are pretty rare too.

There's probably no more than 10-20 bears around here. They relocated a bear couple from Slovenia to Spain's Pyrenees few years ago and that was kind of a big story. They're probably all tagged and have names too. :lol:

I've always been a bear "fan", amazing animals, my scout squad was called Bears too. :) Plus, have you not watched Grizzly Adams? :P

• Like 1

I would probably shit myself if a bear came to visit me during the night when camping. :lol:

That's easily avoidable,  I cook 100ft(ish) away from my tent turn 90 degrees and keep my food bag 100 that way.  As a kid I remember a bear coming thru the campground in Jasper AB which is normal and my dad was banging on a pot trying to chase it away.

What. No pot to smoke? What kind of Canadian backpacking trip is this! ;)

Lol. Looks like great fun man. Be careful

Of course there's weed, it's part of my EDC and come on I have a scooby doo patch on my bag... lol I sometimes do get funny looks or comments like "stoners hike and stuff?" 

CgoPcbkl.jpg

While I have never been into the hiking thing, sounds pretty cool.

@Z, if only all bears could be like Ben in Grizzly Adams. I've only seen 2 in my time (black bears) that were not in a zoo, it's a bit unnerving but not as bad as being chased by a lion (yes that really did happen, and it was the African kind)

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

The closest I get to camping is a hotel room in Las Vegas.

But seriously, looks like you are very well prepared! Have a great time.

9 pounds of food over 4 days? Fuck. No knife of any kind?

But at least you have Seinfeld.

Edited by G37

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Yeah 9lbs is a little high, but I'm bringing cheese, crackers, candy etc..all luxury items.  I normally try to keep it around 1 - 1.5lbs / day. My water weight will actually be about half of that too since I'll  be following a river for most of it.  45 - 49lbs is still under my 30% body weight carry limit.

Myknife is part of my EDC (everyday carry), I posted a "spoiler" pic in a reply to rumdig since it also displays legally questionable items.  But I don't carry anything larger than that, I don't really use it that often.

I used to bring better books, but I'd pick them up and put them down and I'd lose my place, forget or w/e.  I switched to joke books a few years ago.. plus when I go with other people we can practice our terrible Seinfeld stand up impressions.

since it also displays legally questionable items.

Appreciated,

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

More so meant only 9 pounds of food, fuck that I'd die :lol:

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Here's a few pics from my trip, I didn't take a lot overall since I was using my cellphone.  

I'll edit in the link to the longer trip report in case anyone is interested. >> Trip Report <<

Night 1 - 12km hiked. 

XJa68Z9l.jpg

Night 2 - 15km. 

kRugWOil.jpg

Day 3

Ya! I finally made it to the TCT entrance.  The weather was sunny, raining, sunny, down pour, sun, storm, rain, rain, rain..  I didn't get a lot of pics along the trail, I had planned on spending a night on the mountain but there was way too much bear scat and the trail seemed to be very active.  There were large stretches where it was very over grown.  It was pouring rain, wet branches soaking me as I walked thru them and grass over a foot tall soaking my bottom half.  I can best describe it as walking thru a tiny car wash.  I had a small branch jam into my eye and get stuck under my bottom eye lid, I had to pull back so it could *pop* out from under there.  Fun times :)

11:45am TCT trailhead

zW7urLdl.jpg

5:30PM 1,435M (4,700ft) Cellophane birthday balloons (10points each)

mDPNHM6l.jpg

I made it down the mountain around 7:30pm.  22km in 8hours 850M(2,800ft) elevation gain.

Nights 3 & 4

The next day rained almost non-stop, I spent most of the time in my tent (W 2.5ft x L 6.5ft x H 3ft) reading seinfeld cover to cover, and then cover to cover again.  The rain did let up in the evening and I was finally able to eat a hot meal (burnt my mouth).  Bringing only a wood burning stove was a terrible idea.

Final 6km hiked! 

PrbMMzTl.jpg

Edited by Hannabis_80
  • Like 11