Old Henry [RSC Film Club 47]

LimeGreenLegend

Our second film for this month's double feature is @omarcomin71's nomination of the recent western, Old Henry.

Old Henry' Review: Violence, Protection And A Crucial Lesson

The film stars the always excellent Tim Blake Nelson in a rare leading role.  He plays the titular character, a widowed farm owner who must protect it, and his sons, from local outlaws.  Not having even heard of this film, let alone seen it, I don't have much to say, so here are some quotes from favourable reviews.

From TheWrap, Steve Pond said he wished parts of the film were "more expansive" but overall described it as a "beautiful elegy" with a finale that feels "just right."  Writing for The Hollywood Reporter, David Rooney described the direction of the film as a "well-crafted exercise in old-fashioned but durable genre tropes" that later "evolves into a satisfying reflection on the more complicated, somber realities behind the icons of the Wild West."

I'm always up for a bit of western action, and I can't wait to check this out.  But it better be good @omarcomin71😉 

The Queen is not Amused...but I am. — punksimulation: Stephen Dorff II Old  Henry (2021)

The world is changing... It's a place I don't belong in no more

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Henry McCarty (Tim Blake Nelson) is an unassuming old farmer living a quiet life practically hidden from the world with his son Wyatt (Gavin Lewis) when, in a very No Country For Old Men way, he stumbles across a satchel of cash and an injured man, Curry (Scott Haze).  Hot on his heels is a gang led by the black hatted Ketchum (Stephen Dorff), with each party claiming that they're the law.  Soon Henry has to choose sides as the inevitable showdown looms large.  

This is a very simple story, but the real meat of the film is in the character study of Henry, and of the mythology of the West itself.  This film is full of tropes, but the way that they are presented is in a very deconstructive way.  The setting implies this - Henry's farm is nestled in between some hills, separated from the world as if it's a stage for this well trodden story.  These are all to serve the character of Henry, who is the personification of the West and all of its legends.  The ending where we get a huge revelation is so well done that I didn't see it coming despite the many clues set up beforehand.  

I loved Blake Nelson's performance as Henry, it's a very quiet performance that suits the character, a man who wants to withdraw from the world.  But the way his physicality changes at the end is incredible and he becomes a totally different person right in front of our eyes.  I always love seeing character actors who have been in supporting roles for most of their careers have the chance in a lead role - Harry Dean Stanton in Paris, Texas is the gold standard for this -  and he really nails it here, the less he does the more intently you watch him.  

The direction is as simple as the story, and I'm not saying that in a negative way.  It gives the story room to breathe, this is quite a slow moving, laconic film for the opening portion.  The supporting performances are all good, Dorff really relishes his black-hat bad guy role, but they're all in service to Blake Nelson as this is totally his show.  I really like this film, more than I thought I would, and pretty much all of that is down to Blake Nelson.  A great example of a modern revisionist Western.  8.5/10

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Henry McCarty (Tim Blake Nelson) is an unassuming old farmer living a quiet life practically hidden from the world with his son Wyatt (Gavin Lewis) when, in a very No Country For Old Men way, he stumbles across a satchel of cash and an injured man, Curry (Scott Haze).  Hot on his heels is a gang led by the black hatted Ketchum (Stephen Dorff), with each party claiming that they're the law.  Soon Henry has to choose sides as the inevitable showdown looms large.  

This is a very simple story, but the real meat of the film is in the character study of Henry, and of the mythology of the West itself.  This film is full of tropes, but the way that they are presented is in a very deconstructive way.  The setting implies this - Henry's farm is nestled in between some hills, separated from the world as if it's a stage for this well trodden story.  These are all to serve the character of Henry, who is the personification of the West and all of its legends.  The ending where we get a huge revelation is so well done that I didn't see it coming despite the many clues set up beforehand.  

I loved Blake Nelson's performance as Henry, it's a very quiet performance that suits the character, a man who wants to withdraw from the world.  But the way his physicality changes at the end is incredible and he becomes a totally different person right in front of our eyes.  I always love seeing character actors who have been in supporting roles for most of their careers have the chance in a lead role - Harry Dean Stanton in Paris, Texas is the gold standard for this -  and he really nails it here, the less he does the more intently you watch him.  

The direction is as simple as the story, and I'm not saying that in a negative way.  It gives the story room to breathe, this is quite a slow moving, laconic film for the opening portion.  The supporting performances are all good, Dorff really relishes his black-hat bad guy role, but they're all in service to Blake Nelson as this is totally his show.  I really like this film, more than I thought I would, and pretty much all of that is down to Blake Nelson.  A great example of a modern revisionist Western.  8.5/10

Well said @LimeGreenLegend I’m glad you enjoyed it! 🙂 I felt the same in nearly every aspect of your review. I’d like to say more but I don’t wanna give anything away.  However, I will say the acting alone is worth the watch. 

Edited by omarcomin71
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, omarcomin71 said:

I’d like to say more but I don’t wanna give anything away.

I was avoiding that too because I thought it was so well done!

• Like 1