GTRC Discord - for when PSN parties are full

Aslad

Hello everyone,

This is just a post to share a Discord  server that we can trial the use of for GTS events when more than 8 people are in attendance.

Software links:

PC (you can choose whether to download it as an app or use it on a web browser):  https://discordapp.com/

iOS:  https://itunes.apple.com/gd/app/discord/id985746746?mt=8

Android:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.discord&hl=en_GB

The server invite link is below:

https://discord.gg/m4EyDAZ

It is worth noting that I set this server up back in August as a trial for centralising our gaming group when we were discussing moving away from other platforms, which is why you'll see that it is formatted towards more than just GTS events - however this never came to fruition and so the server has sat empty since. Just ignore these extra channels for now, I will consider re-designing the server at a later date if we come to use it more often, although for now it is just something to be tested for when parties are full on Playstation.

Thanks!

Aslad

Edited by Aslad

No, I didn't misspell Salad 

Vauxhall Corsa D (dead)

Hyundai Coupe TSIII Fanclub

Some people will know my position on Discord due to previous bad experience with it.

However if it is used strictly for its voice chat it could be an option.

My concerns now are the same as they ever were...

It splinters the group, this may be especially true at this point when we are looking to start a small community here on RSC. Discord  may become ‘home’ for people we would like RSC to be ‘home’ for.

It needs an extra device that not all may have access too.

Apologies if this seems negative but it is a view some of us hold, especially at VANS.

However this is not VANS but GTRC, if the decision is that we use it I will too. But for me it has to be strictly for voice chat, nothing that may hamper the growth of GTRC.

• Like 2

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

3 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

Some people will know my position on Discord due to previous bad experience with it.

However if it is used strictly for its voice chat it could be an option.

My concerns now are the same as they ever were...

It splinters the group, this may be especially true at this point when we are looking to start a small community here on RSC. Discord  may become ‘home’ for people we would like RSC to be ‘home’ for.

It needs an extra device that not all may have access too.

Apologies if this seems negative but it is a view some of us hold, especially at VANS.

However this is not VANS but GTRC, if the decision is that we use it I will too. But for me it has to be strictly for voice chat, nothing that may hamper the growth of GTRC.

Yeah that's completely understandable. If trials go well then I'll reformat the server and str*p it of the unnecessary channels. There is a Discord app available on mobile phones (both Android and Apple I believe) and it is also available as a desktop app or a simple website (which is usually how I use it), so hopefully it is an option for GTS nights.

Vauxhall Corsa D (dead)

57 minutes ago, Aslad said:

Yeah that's completely understandable. If trials go well then I'll reformat the server and str*p it of the unnecessary channels. There is a Discord app available on mobile phones (both Android and Apple I believe) and it is also available as a desktop app or a simple website (which is usually how I use it), so hopefully it is an option for GTS nights.

Let’s see what the general view is...

Hopefully some of the regulars will chip in.

• Like 1

To be honest, based on what we found testing it as an alternative to Team Speak on NoDo PC it didn't handle having more than 3 or 4 players for voice very well at all as it really struggled with the bandwidth.

As a general view, I'd say fine to try as an audio comms tool and see how it goes.

Beyond that I don't see any real purpose for it as between the PSN chat boxes and here we have more than enough tools to actually promote the stuff we d

As a general rule having a permanent spot for that information is also a lot neater and provides a better archive of the stuff you do and that stuff having some kind of archive also has the advantage of people being able to look at things that have gone before and getting an idea of the flavour of what we do and how things are normally run on events.

Using it for anything beyond that is potentially good for people already involved, but it's not much good for finding or attracting new blood in my opinion.

For me Discord is essentially nothing more than a bang average IRC chat that has been marketed well. In fact I'd say marketing is about the only thing it actually does seem to do well.

However, if it gives us a potential voice solution then it may be worth pursuing.

Edited by doubleg213
  • Like 2

It’s just the voice chat that interests me. 

We generally have our smartphones next to us (apart from G and his ancient Nokia)

Plugging my headphones into my phone instead of the controller makes no difference. Even though I’ll need an adaptor thanks to Apples headphone jack revolution.

The bandwidth issue is interesting, currently anyone struggling with poor internet connectivity struggle when they are in a party chat and a race. Both Fury and Storm have suffered connection problems when they’re in party chats. Taking the voice comms away from the PS4 could help them there. 

All we can do is test it to see how well it handles groups larger than 8. 

• Like 2

Personally I've used Discord voice with 30+ people at once from all over the world on several occasions - literally people from the US, Canada, Australia, Europe and even Russia on one occasion, and we've never run into any issues. Discord usually copes well with it and I've read of voice channels with 500 people at once that still ran well.

It's definitely worth pursuing and at least having a trial run at some stage :)

Vauxhall Corsa D (dead)

Next step is getting enough of us signed up to discord so we can test it. 

@Aslad have you got links for the PC program and android/iOS apps. If you can find the links people need and add them to the first post it will make it easier for them to get the right software. 

As for when to do the trial, I think the Monday after next should work. GTOC already works with the two classes having their own party chat so no point changing that just yet. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Next step is getting enough of us signed up to discord so we can test it. 

@Aslad have you got links for the PC program and android/iOS apps. If you can find the links people need and add them to the first post it will make it easier for them to get the right software. 

As for when to do the trial, I think the Monday after next should work. GTOC already works with the two classes having their own party chat so no point changing that just yet. 

I'm in uni right now so can't do the apps at the moment, but just searching for it on the relevant platform should work. You can even use it as a website (which is what i do a lot of the time) instead of needing to download anything, which is here:

https://discordapp.com

• Like 1

Vauxhall Corsa D (dead)

11 minutes ago, Aslad said:

I'm in uni right now so can't do the apps at the moment, but just searching for it on the relevant platform should work. You can even use it as a website (which is what i do a lot of the time) instead of needing to download anything, which is here:

https://discordapp.com

Edited the OP for you with the necessary links. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Discord on PC and Android phone. If we all use it then we'll get the benefit on busy race nights for the voice. Best to keep the information for events here AND in the PSN chat personally. Don't want too many places where it can get confusing about what's happening.

• Like 2

There seems to be a general consensus of Discord for voice chat but not for text chat.

As I said that is my stance exactly. 

So when are we gonna give it a whirl? GTOC has used a two party system since the start so maybe the week after so people have time to get sorted out if it’s there first time use.

• Like 2

I know it’s not GTS related but there seems to be a large potential group up for some COD Prop Hunt. Could be an ideal situation to test the discord voice server. 

Just now, Squirrel said:

I know it’s not GTS related but there seems to be a large potential group up for some COD Prop Hunt. Could be an ideal situation to test the discord voice server. 

Does it not have voice chat? 

Also the logistics of getting everyone into the same public session need to be looked at

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

Just now, CatManDoza said:

Also the logistics of getting everyone into the same public session need to be looked at

Logistics? Upping your game eh Catman?

A few of us had a quick test voice chat. It seems to be louder and clearer than what’s possible with the PS4 chat. 

If anyone wants to set a chat up anytime to work on set up and how to connect just post in the actual discord server and someone will pop on to help. 

• Like 2