Strictly Ballroom [RSC Film Club 43]

LimeGreenLegend

This month's film club selection, nominated by @djw180, is the Australian rom-com Strictly Ballroom, directed by Baz Luhrmann.  This is the first part of an unofficial trilogy, followed by Romeo + Juliet in 1996 and Moulin Rouge in 2001.  

Strictly Ballroom movie poster | NFSA

The film sees talented dancer Scott Paul Mercurio) team up with beginner Fran (Tara Morice) as no one else will dance with him due to his unconventional style which has seen him denounced by the Australian Dancing Federation.  I've not seen this before, but having had seen Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge I'm expecting something bold and brash and oozing with style and energy and melodrama.  

Strictly Ballroom GIF by Kitpak

i'm not dancing with you 'til you dance like you're supposed to

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I own a copy of this because it came free with a DVD player I once bought. I looked at it and thought why would I want to watch a film about ballroom dancing? A couple of years later, having seen Romeo+Juliet and realising it was the same director, I finally watched this. I think it is a brilliant film. You don't have to have any interest in ballroom dancing. All you need to be able to do is accept there might be some people for whom it is the most important thing in the entire world and they take it very, very seriously. Like Baz Lurhman's later films it is a full of music and dancing (obviously), but with a much lower budget it's not as flashy and glamorous.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1