Rallycross - Creators challenge

zmurko

During last Sunday Racing League, a desire to do more rallycross racing has come up, so I call for our creators and offer them a great opportunity to come up with a rallycross track of their own.

imagesource.php?image=5049.jpg&maxwidth=

What is Rallycross you ask?

Rallycross is a combination of rallying and circuit racing. It is head-to-head short, sharping racing on mixed surfaces (dirt and asphalt) contained within amphitheatre venues. High profile drivers are equipped with RX Supercars with over 600bhp and the ability to accelerate from 0-60mph in less than two seconds – faster than an F1 car.

(more on https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/education)

Spoiler

Few requirements for the tracks:

- needs to be short (let's limit the maximum length of the track to ~ 2km /1.3mi)
- needs to be a mix of dirt and tarmac
- must allow ("comfortable") close contact racing
- must offer overtaking opportunities (slower corners, ...)
- must include a joker lap (either by utilising secondary CPs or clearly marked with signage)
- needs a visible start/finish line to determine the winner without the need to finish the race and check the leaderboard
- should have room near the start/finish line for parked cars to move away from racing
- should have a raised spectators area from where one can see an entire track and watch the racing (requested by our members)
- no sticky barriers are to be used please
- minimum 16 players allowed (30 is best)

- must have car selection restricted to the following cars in these classes:
* Compacts (Club, Issi Classic, Brioso 300, Weevil)
* SUVs (Rebla GTS)
* Sedans (Warrener)
* Sports Classics (Retinue MkII, Retinue, Savestra, 190z, Zion Classic, Cheburek, Michelli GT, Nebula Turbo)
* Sports (Issi Sport, Sultan Classic, Flash GT, Sentinel Classic, Comet Safari, GB200, Kuruma, Omnis, Tropos Rallye, Futo)

Everything else is left to your imagination.

Tracks (4 or 5) will be used on 4th or 11th of April in a dedicated Rallycross event during Sunday Racing League, when everyone is welcome to join.
Let's make the end of March / beginning of April a deadline as well. Looking forward to seeing your creations!

An example of a good community rallycross track:
Redwood Rallycross 0.74 by pervarioscasus

Spoiler

Few more videos to get you inspired:

Spoiler

Edited by zmurko
  • Like 5

Im not sure I’ll have time to build something from scratch but I may have something I can re-purpose if I get myself into Creator.

• Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

Here you go...

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/job/gtav/PA6BgBMcM0OHFjgaky11OQ

This ticks all the boxes that are not open for interpretation. The viewing platform may be a little high but I can adjust that.

There is a lot of lighting with the props so running this at night could work well.

• Like 2

Had a go at this last night and oh boy, had I forgotten how big a time consumer the Creator could be.😅 Think I got something decent in the works.

Just a few questions:

What are sticky barriers again? Is the joker lap required to be at the very end of the lap like on Redwood Rallycross? Any tips/tricks on how to get a 30 grid to fit? Seems like the old small grid trick has been removed.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Banketelli said:

Had a go at this last night and oh boy, had I forgotten how big a time consumer the Creator could be.😅 Think I got something decent in the works.

Just a few questions:

What are sticky barriers again? Is the joker lap required to be at the very end of the lap like on Redwood Rallycross? Any tips/tricks on how to get a 30 grid to fit? Seems like the old small grid trick has been removed.

Those nasty tire walls, tire lines and tire stacks are all sticky and are not welcome if you can hit them with a car.

Another tricky prop is a stunt barrier if it's bended (5°, 15°, ...) and facing the cars with its concave side, as if you grind that wall, you'll get stuck. Can get nasty.

Joker lap can be placed at any part of the lap.

I've noticed the small grid trick isn't working anymore too. Luckily stunt layout is a little smaller than normal medium grid. I guess just try with a 16 car stunt layout.

Edited by zmurko
  • Like 1

I'm close to finish as well.

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/job/gtav/cte-ymlXwkW8fW--OV7GUA

Smoothed out few bumpy tarmac/dirt transitions and even built a custom rallycross starting grid with a red finish line.

Still a pretty demanding track probably, need to try it with several cars on it.

On 3/7/2021 at 3:04 PM, JuniorChubb said:

Here you go...

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/job/gtav/PA6BgBMcM0OHFjgaky11OQ

This ticks all the boxes that are not open for interpretation. The viewing platform may be a little high but I can adjust that.

There is a lot of lighting with the props so running this at night could work well.

Tried it the other day, looks good, short and sweet. 👍

21 hours ago, Lann said:

I have finished my race. Video and link in this thread.

Might be a bit too rough and wild for my taste, had a hard time controlling my car without even worrying about other drivers. That twisty dirt section through the sewage plant is probably a bit too tight for contact racing too. Very well placed viewing platform though, could really see an entire track from there.

If you could cut out the part from the Zancudo gates to that massive jump and maybe smooth out some of the roughest parts, you might have something good there. Doesn't need to be too complicated. 👍

Btw, any feedback is more than welcome from anyone, let's build something that will be enjoyable for most of us if possible. ☺

Edited by zmurko

4 hours ago, zmurko said:

Cheers, hope it fits the bill.

Glad I had something ready to go, as @Banketellisaid I forgot how time consuming Creator was. I was planning on editing another track I had but just didn’t have time after editing this one.

On 3/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, zmurko said:

Might be a bit too rough and wild for my taste, had a hard time controlling my car without even worrying about other drivers. That twisty dirt section through the sewage plant is probably a bit too tight for contact racing too. Very well placed viewing platform though, could really see an entire track from there.

If you could cut out the part from the Zancudo gates to that massive jump and maybe smooth out some of the roughest parts, you might have something good there. Doesn't need to be too complicated. 👍

Btw, any feedback is more than welcome from anyone, let's build something that will be enjoyable for most of us if possible. ☺

Good points, there are alot of losing contact with the ground on that track along with some tighter spots. I am going to leave it as rough and wild as it is, and instead submit another track that I am working on. Its great to spend time in the creator again!

• Like 1

Ran out of props so I guess it's ready.😁

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/job/gtav/qnZZmyb55kWvwi_c7MMLpw

Ended up a bit longer than the allowed (2.21 km) but nothing I could cut out. It's a fast track with a good lap between 1.05-1.10 depending on the car.

The spectators area is placed so the whole track can be viewed without having to move around but some of the track might be so far away that it's impossible to see what's going on anyways.😅 Not sure how the cars will load from that distance.

I realise that the dirt section in the beginning + the two bridges might be too narrow for the kind of racing you're looking for. But I've had a great time back in the Creator!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Banketelli said:

But I've had a great time back in the Creator!

It does get addictive in there once you start putting things together. I've even started looking at unfinished projects from years ago. 😁

There's not much to do in GTA right now, except the crew challenge and getting SRL ready, so great opportunity to build something.

• Like 1

I've had  a go at this. Just a rough first attempt so far. Could someone give this a quick test and see if the basic track seems OK please?

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/job/gtav/bQpSytqwGkSgD6Sh_p-IHg

If so I'll carry on tidying CPs, adding more props, etc, etc.

I know you can't get to the veiwing platform. I thought you'd be able to climb up those track buildings, but you can't.

• Like 1

Route looks fine @djw180, I'd say keep going. Couple of spots will need some work (one of them is coming back to asphalt (2nd time?), but you jump into the (left) corner, so it might be abit akward), but once everything's done, it should be a nice track.

There's also a small windmill sticking out of the road around the last apex atm, but I'm sure you have something in mind about that.

• Like 1

The Rallycross event is now scheduled for 18th of April, so there's still around 2 weeks for anyone to finish their designs, so we have the tracks ready around a week before.

So far we have @JuniorChubb, @Banketelli, @Lann and myself with tracks already built for the event and @djw180 working on his. Should be enough tracks for the event, but we could potentially add another one if someone else decides to join the challenge or is perhaps already building one.

• Like 2

Changes made to mine

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/job/gtav/UC4uod2ZskOqtVuGOzYC2w

I'm fairly happy with this as it is, apart from the joker lap and maybe the veiwing platform could be higher up, but  if others could give it go and point I things that I haven't noticed that would be great please. I could add more props on corners but personally I prefer to keep them for blocking off unmoveable scenary or where I don't want to corner cut too much.

With the joker lap I used the actual split road that is on the map, but I am a bit concerned that drivers coming out from one route might not see those coming out of the other. Adding a different joker lap somewhere else should be easy.

• Like 2