I killed my PS3...

As some of you know I had a little PS3 not turning on issue early this morning...

Turns out I killed it... I guess if it doesnt even go into the home screen, and turns itself off after about 10 seconds its done for...

:( :( :(

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption...

cotick20.jpg

Did you get that advice from PlayStation support?

I got my son working on that -- he doesnt have the patience for being put on hold for hours -- who does!...

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption...

cotick20.jpg

I got my son working on that -- he doesnt have the patience for being put on hold for hours -- who does!...

Fingers crossed they can help you fix it, if not at least you will be sure of where you stand.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed they can help you fix it, if not at least you will be sure of where you stand.

I think I know where I stand, and its not pretty -- its not HDMi cable or tv or internet connection, or even the controller for sure. Its no longer under warranty cause I had it for a while -- and will cost about $150 to ship it to Sony if its fixable...

So, I am thinking -- 'funeral' is some time this weekend!!! :(

cotick20.jpg

Take it apart and clean then try goon's advice. There are several good videos showing how to take it apart, since you are out of warranty there is nothing to lose. It is quite easy, the only hard part is finding the proper torx-bit to remove 4 small fasteners. I couldnt find one at Home Depot or Ace hardware, but luckily found an Allen Wrench that managed to get them out with some effort though I dont recommend doing it that way since I almost stripped/rounded-out a couple of them.

• Like 3

handcuff_charlie.jpg

HC is right on the money. Had to do that for my old 60 GB long time ago. It eventually shit the bed but I still have it as a large paperweight considering some time I want to try and retrieve any data I can off of it. Best of luck. 

The service/shipping charges are outrageous. You're honestly better off getting a new system for that price if things don't work. For that I'd personally suggest this:

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-500GB-Last-Bundle-Playstation-3/dp/B00IA2NYT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402685540&sr=8-1&keywords=last+of+us+ps3+bundle

- 500 GB (yes this is less money with more storage, odd)

- 1 controller

- Last of Us (one of my all time favorite titles)

- $269 (yup that's not a typo).

• Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

IMO it's either overheating very fast and is powering off automatically (doubtful, that usually takes a few minutes at least, not seconds)

Or when the PS3 froze the last time it was used, the data and file system has become corrupt and a rebuild of the database or a full format (full wipe) may be advised by PlayStation.

If a full format is required, don't back up the data and put it back on the PS3 as it will still be corrupt, in that case you'll lose all data except PSN friends, messages and trophies.

That sux dude.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Sorry to hear that. :(

Hope to see you again soon though!  I've had to replace mine once already, and it is beyond frustrating.  Mine seemed ok upon start up, but froze every time I inserted a disk.  After about a week or so of doing that, it froze to the point where I couldn't even turn the system on for more than five minutes.

• Like 1

IMO it's either overheating very fast and is powering off automatically (doubtful, that usually takes a few minutes at least, not seconds)

Or when the PS3 froze the last time it was used, the data and file system has become corrupt and a rebuild of the database or a full format (full wipe) may be advised by PlayStation.

If a full format is required, don't back up the data and put it back on the PS3 as it will still be corrupt, in that case you'll lose all data except PSN friends, messages and trophies.

This is what I was thinking too. Unless some critter(s) got in it and made a home at the expense of some circuitry, I honestly cant think of anything else that makes sense.

handcuff_charlie.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help! I tried everything you suggested -- but unfortunately it was not to be -- my PS3 is gone... :(

10297715_10202270877276125_5122214788749

On a good note -- my son got a PS3 for his b-day two weeks ago -- I am borrowing it -- I didnt say it was 'his good note'... :P:D

Edited by Cotick20
  • Like 4

cotick20.jpg

Reflowed with a 44 magnum?

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

*epic voice*

when my "fatty" ps3 died i used my finn shaman powers to bring it back and serve me ones more...

..in another words: i fixed it by replacing the old Blue-Ray unit with another From SLIM Ps3 ^^

One more thing -- I was able to contact Sony -- they were somewhat helpful trying to help determine what was wrong -- at the end, they told me how to save the hard drive with all my data -- so I took it out, but now I am not sure what to do with it -- other then maybe take it to Best Buy!...

cotick20.jpg