Tuning cars in GTA?

Spinnaker1981

Well, it has been common knowledge from some time, at least in the racing communities, that the way you tune cars changes the way they handle.

The problem is: there are no real "how to do" manual around.

So I am going to explain how I do it:

First of, try the car with only performance upgrades (engine, brakes, turbo, transmission and spoiler).

And then, you just have to take into account that an extra hit box anywhere makes the weight of the car (that is the same no matter what you put in there) shift more to where that hit box is located (so a rear diffuser makes the car more rear bottom heavy whereas a roof rack makes the car more top heavy).

Now, if a car needs more traction on the rear you just have to make it more rear heavy, whereas if it really understeers, make it more front heavy.

If the car is too bouncy (handling flags) you can raise the suspension and use smaller walled tires (less bouncy), and make the back suspension less under stress (so no hit boxes in the back and the smaller possible spoiler), etc...

The wheels also have different characteristics, and that is hard to explain also, but, has a standard:

Less tire wall means more response but make the car snap more. Muscle wheels have less cornering capabilities whereas tuners have more than most other wheels.

So, not in-depth strategies, but a bit of knowledge for the harder to use cars like the muscle cars or the hard sports (GTO/Pariah).

Let me know if you have more insights on the matter or if you find these findings to be bullocks... :P

• Like 2

Recently I've experienced the opposite when it comes to too bouncy/handling flags for example. Lowering the suspension (instead of raising) has seemingly increased stability. Helped me with the Itali GTO.

the GTO handling flags makes him have too much force on the rear shock absorbers which is what makes the car bounce. If you compress them further it makes it harder to regain control once you lose it. You compress them by lowering the suspension and/or using more hitboxes on the back (bigger spoiler, difuser, skirts, etc...). 

When compressed you do gain a bit more control before you lose it, but once you lose it its game over, whereas without compression it makes it easier to regain control. 

At least that is what I keep hearing.