Posting images to the forum

JuniorChubb

Question

Share the quickest and easiest way of posting images to the forum that you like to use and your favourite image hosting service too.

For anything I create myself I host it on my own webspace the just post the image URL into a post.

When exporting from my PlayStation I export to Twitter, copy the image URL fromTwitter then paste into the forum.

What’s your quickest route from Game to Forum?

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

14 answers to this question

ps4 - usb - pc - imgur.

always done it this way and I don;t like change.

Just out of interest chubb, does going down the twitter route loose some of the resolution at all? 

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

6 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

ps4 - usb - pc - imgur.

Just out of interest chubb, does going down the twitter route loose some of the resolution at all? 

If it's like Facebook, then yes it does

No, I didn't misspell Salad 

Vauxhall Corsa D (dead)

Hyundai Coupe TSIII Fanclub

17 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

ps4 - usb - pc - imgur.

Twitter is strange how it works.... take the image below for example, taken straight from Twitter from this URL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzoUlICWoAEGgCD.jpg

DzoUlICWoAEGgCD.jpg

I would say it is resized slightly, however with a bit of trickery you can access the larger version by adding :large at the end of the URL.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzoUlICWoAEGgCD.jpg:large

If you want to get the original image try adding :orig at the end of the URL.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzoUlICWoAEGgCD.jpg:orig

They will still work when posted to the forum with the :large & :orig at the end of the URL.

I cannot confirm that the :orig version is the same size as a USB export as I have never done a USB export.

Edited by JuniorChubb

4 minutes ago, Lann said:

Twitter (private) - Get that non-twittery image url -  post.

If any other source than ps4: imgur - hidden - post that url.

Private accounts are a great idea, maybe a secondary private Twitter account liked to PS4 just for sharing would work well.

4 minutes ago, M.C.Lethal Dose said:

Why can't we just upload an image from a device without all this url nonsense? 

Web space and forum functionality costs money.

The vast majority of Forums expect images to be hosted this way as images take up a lot more webspace than text and code does.

Edited by JuniorChubb

8 minutes ago, M.C.Lethal Dose said:

Why can't we just upload an image from a device without all this url nonsense? 

4 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

Web space and forum functionality costs money.

The vast majority of Forums expect images to be hosted this way as images take up a lot more webspace than text and code does.

This

I can tell you that image hosting is not allowed period on the XDBX website. Due to the amount of server space it would consume and our crew site operates on donations from the crew so costs need to stay down. Now, this will be one of the very few times I advertise this but the option does exist on this site https://www.rockstarsocialclub.net/subscriptions/. Those who pay for a subscription have the option to upload images on to the site which is an option you will not find on most forums. The reason I have it set this way is since it costs more then those who offer to help pay the bills get access to do something with it. No one has to use this option of course as there is means to host it elsewhere and paste a link. 

In this early stage of the site it would be easy to give everyone access to upload images here, but at some point it would have to be taken away which would have a far more implications taking something away as opposed to something you never had. 

Sorry things are this way, but they have to be to keep the site online. I am fine spending what is needed to have this site online, but at some point breaking even wouldn't hurt my feelings...

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I have my own web server so predominantly self-host what I have, although I had started using Imgur as a photo dumping ground for stuff from GTA Events, mainly because it was easier to link to their galleries.

I do have a Flickr account as well but I save that purely for none gaming related stuff so never use it for forum stuff mostly. 

1 hour ago, Hatch said:

This

I can tell you that image hosting is not allowed period on the XDBX website. Due to the amount of server space it would consume and our crew site operates on donations from the crew so costs need to stay down. Now, this will be one of the very few times I advertise this but the option does exist on this site https://www.rockstarsocialclub.net/subscriptions/. Those who pay for a subscription have the option to upload images on to the site which is an option you will not find on most forums. The reason I have it set this way is since it costs more then those who offer to help pay the bills get access to do something with it. No one has to use this option of course as there is means to host it elsewhere and paste a link. 

In this early stage of the site it would be easy to give everyone access to upload images here, but at some point it would have to be taken away which would have a far more implications taking something away as opposed to something you never had. 

Sorry things are this way, but they have to be to keep the site online. I am fine spending what is needed to have this site online, but at some point breaking even wouldn't hurt my feelings...

Thanks for answering my question and educating me further on the ways of the world wide web. 😉 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, M.C.Lethal Dose said:

Thanks for answering my question and educating me further on the ways of the world wide web. 😉 

If you need a hand with anything just ask. Once you have posted a few pics it will become second nature, you just got to find which method works best for you.

• Like 1