Hunting Tips

ErnYoung

After playing RDRO for a while, I wanted to share a few hunting as well as fishing tips that I have picked up along the way....

To lessen the chance of damaging perfect large game and to ensure one shot kills the following have helped me:

- Take head shots whenever possible. I do not recommend using the scope view if you think a second round is useful.

- If a headshot is not an option, while aiming at your mark, use the CALL button (square) just before you send the round.

- While aiming at your mark, the dot will be a brighter red when focused on vital areas. This is especially useful on alligators. 

- To avoid wasting animal parts during extended hunting trips, keep the carcasses you plan to sell intact. Skin them after you sell everything else at the butcher.

For small game....

- Sweep yout aimed weapon over brush to detect critters not visible to Eagle Eye.

- Once detected use TRACK ( triangle) to highlight the mark. This will act like eagle eye for a single target.

- Using small game arrows will yield perfect chipmunk and squirrel, but the price of these are not worth the bother, small game arrows are not effective on anything larger than a squirrel.

For fishing...

- Fish usually found in an area will spawn in that area once you begin fishing with the bait or lure for that species.

- Using eagle eye with your fishing rod equipped will highlght active fish in the area. This is useful for casting to the fish you want or avoiding those you do not want.

- Cutting the line in online does not sacrafice your lure as it does un story mode. 

- The button to open your satchel will work while your fishing rod is active.

- If you do not have the Special River, Lake, Swamp, and Spinned lure I highly recommend getting these. If you are not ranked high enough to purchase one of these, you can use RANKED GOLD purchass on these at the bait shop in Lamay or many of the general stores.

Happy hunting,

Ern

• Like 9

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing - General Dwight Eisenhower Allied Supreme Commander WWII

Thanks, good tips all around! 

a few questions 

I have yet to buy a bow in online, it's useful in single player but is it worth investing in it for hunting in online?

also, apparently the quality of carcass goes down now when dragging it to the butcher with a lasso, anyone can confirm?

14 minutes ago, Beez said:

Good tips Ern. @The_Lady_A has conflicting reports of buying a lure with gold before you unlock it. She lost it for good. 

You just have to NOT reel AND pump when the fish breaks the water to fight.  Haven't lost ANY lures yet. When reeling in when you first hook the fish, if you hear it clicking, it's a small fish and you can just keep reeling and pumping until you land it. I mostly use the Special spinner lure. It catches ALL fish in ALL places. Well worth the $$$!

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

5 hours ago, AlCohonez said:

Thanks, good tips all around! 

a few questions 

I have yet to buy a bow in online, it's useful in single player but is it worth investing in it for hunting in online?

also, apparently the quality of carcass goes down now when dragging it to the butcher with a lasso, anyone can confirm?

The bow is fun but does not offer the same insurance against damaging game as in the story mode. There are a few awards (worth XP) that you can get with the bow so I would say yes to purchading it eventually. My primary weapons for hunting are the bolt action and the varmint rifle. 

Any trauma such as horses trodding on you game has a good chance of degrading it. 

5 hours ago, Beez said:

Good tips Ern. @The_Lady_A has conflicting reports of buying a lure with gold before you unlock it. She lost it for good. 

I do not know what her experience was but I have yet to lose a lure. I purchased mine with ranked gold. 

Edited by ErnYoung

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing - General Dwight Eisenhower Allied Supreme Commander WWII

1 hour ago, Sinister said:

I have lost 2 lures so far., both bought with Gold. Then it's back across the map for a new one, lol.

Did you lose them while fishing in online mode?

I have lost 2 lures so far., both bought with Gold. Then it's back across the map for a new one, lol.

Damn!

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

9 hours ago, ErnYoung said:

Did you lose them while fishing in online mode?

Well yeah, lol. We don't use Gold in single player and this thread is about online ;)

13 hours ago, Sinister said:

Well yeah, lol. We don't use Gold in single player and this thread is about online ;)

Well that sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...