Travelling to Italy - any suggestions?

pete_95973

I am getting married in April and just 3 days after the wedding my new wife and I will be off to Italy for our honeymoon.  Neither of us have ever been.  Neither of us have even been to Europe.  We will be spending 4 days and 3 nights in Rome.  Our hotel and room has a view of the Colosseum!  Then we will take a train to Florence and spend two nights there in a beautiful Villa.  Then from there we take a train to Venice where we will spend our final 3 nights.

So far the only thing we have planned officially is that we booked a Vatican and Colosseum tour with one of the companies that allows you to skip the lines and have your own english speaking tour guide.  With these private tours you get access to some spots the general admission tours do not.  We are very excited for that.  But other than that nothing specific is planned or booked except eat lots of pasta and wash it down with lots of wine and gelato. We will also look into the Gondola experience in Venice of course.  Anyone with Italy experience in any of these three areas have any advice, tips or suggestions?

• Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

Very nice. Have never been to Italy but spent time in Germany and Hungary.

Take your time and enjoy it, Europe is beautiful. Really wanting to go back sometime.

• Like 1

I've been to Venice and Florence, but it was over 10 years ago, so a lot will have changed. Both are amazing cities. Venice can be quite expensive and smelly if it's warm and humid. I guess the main thing I'd say is there is a lot more to Italian food than pasta and pizza, and I know you like your food so I'm sure you'll make most of that. Their pizza is very different to British and American. Expect horrified reactions if you suggest putting peperami or pineapple on it.

Edited by djw180
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I've been to Venice and Florence, but it was over 10 years ago, so a lot will have changed. Both are amazing cities. Venice can be quite expensive and smelly if it's warm and humid. I guess the main thing I's say is there is a lot more to Italian food than pasta and pizza, and I know you like your food so I'm sure you'll make most of that. Their pizza is very different to British and American. Expect horrified reactions if you suggest putting peperami or pineapple on it.

LOL I read about the pepperoni thing online.  I look forward to trying everything I can.

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

I visited Rome with my girlfriend back in 2013.

I was expecting something beautiful and I was not disappointed. 

You have to visit the Colosseum and the Roman Forum/Palatino just next to it. That should be your priority. 

I see you booked a Vatican tour with line skipping. Well done cause the Vatican line is fucking huuuuuuuge ! When we visited the line was easily 1km long. Luckily we had booked our tickets in advance and it was a great feeling to enter without waiting while everyone else was waiting for several hours :D 

Anyway, there is stuff to see at each corner. Temples, ruins, columns, piazza... My favorite spot was Piazza Navona. Other must see : the Pantheon, Isola Tiberina, Piazza di Spagna, the Trevi Fountain (tons of people there, forget your dream picture alone in front of the fountain). 

Haven't seen it but the big park near Piazza del Popolo with the Villa Borghese is beautiful. The Caracalla Baths are probably worth your time as well. I regret not having the time to visit. And if you have time left and aren't exhausted, cross the river and go to the Trastevere district. 

About food, the pizzas were OK but not better than what we have here in France. That was disappointing. Pasta on the other hand, best I've ever tasted. I was a student at the time so couldn't spend much at the restaurant but I regret not trying other meals like Risotto. 

Just lose yourself in the little streets of Rome. Just walk, don't try to reach a destination. Perfect destination for a honeymoon (well after Paris of course :D )

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

When exactly are you going? I’m heading to Italy around the same time. Just going to Milan though to watch some footy. 

April 10-19

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

I would leave the Pizza alone and focus on pasta and things not found at home. It was always funny taking people out to eat while in Germany. Instead of trying the wonderful food only found there most opted for Pizzas and Burgers, sigh.

• Like 2