Football (soccer) important national games.

Spinnaker1981

I have noticed I am not the only one that enjoys football here.

Our own national teams are the ones that really lighten our hearts and their wins brighten our days. This thread is for all those games that are not big European or world games but that are important for us locally (not only in Portugal, but wherever you are, whatever teams you support).

Today is a big game day here in Portugal.

The 2 biggest teams will play for the championship (whoever wins will most likely be the next Portuguese champion).

2 points separate first and second, Sport Lisboa e Benfica and Futebol Clube do Porto, in Benfica´s home. 

4 matches to be played after this round of the Portuguese league, with Benfica still having to play away against Sporting Clube de Portugal (Sporting Lisbon).

Benfica wins, and 5 points will be enough to even lose the match against Sporting. A draw is the result nobody wants.

If Benfica wins the title it will be the fifth in a row, something Benfica was never able to do. (it was able to win 3 times 4 in a row in a 15 year period, but the streaks would always be broken by either Sporting or Porto).

As you can imagine, the local TV stations are all hyped by this game and everyone is in anticipation for it.

I am a Benfica fan and, if Benfica wins, I will be happy (and probably drunk) tonight, but, if they lose, this is going to be hard to swallow.

My local team is gonna be relegated to 3rd division so I don't care about football anymore lol

More seriously, the french championship is done since a long time with PSG faaaaaar ahead of the competition. Not many 'important' match this season.

But I can't wait for the world cup and I hope France wins it ! We want our revenge against Portugal :angry:

37 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

My local team is gonna be relegated to 3rd division so I don't care about football anymore lol

More seriously, the french championship is done since a long time with PSG faaaaaar ahead of the competition. Not many 'important' match this season.

But I can't wait for the world cup and I hope France wins it ! We want our revenge against Portugal :angry:

You want what? Noooo, we had our revenge... remember EURO2000 semi-finals? Because I do...

We had the best football I ever saw being played by our national team. We had amazing players. We had a great coach that was so heartbroken that he never coached anywhere else after that. We had it all, and we still hanged on the overtime against the all mighty France, where a shot that was made 1meter from the defender, happened to touch the defenders hand. That one you should´ve lost. we played a whole lot better than you did.

This one? Well, we played lousy football and we didn´t deserve it, but revenge is a dish best served cold... :P

And all it took was a lucky shot from a Portuguese player that no one had ever heard of and that no one has heard of since...

On a less "bustin balls" attitude :D:D what is your local team?

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 1

I guess Spain-Gibraltar is the most exciting match we can see.

Now seriously, I'm a Real supporter. I don't see many matches now but I do when it is possible.

Edited by VALL_es

You kidding @VALL_es1583070462? Spain has amazing football even in the 2nd league.

Barcelona B is in 19th in the 2nd league there, you need to have good teams to get Barcelona to have a 19th position, even if it is just their B team!

You have the 2 best players in the world playing in Spain right now. Spain is a great place to live if you like football.

Well there a lot of interesting matches here (not talking about Real-Barcelona, which is very obvious): Sevilla-Betis, Valencia-Atlético, Valencia-Sevilla, Atlético-Sevilla, Villarreal and Celta can also be very strong teams, Real-Atlético, Barcelona-Atlético... If you like football Sevilla-Betis is a must see. I'm not from there and not a fan of any of these teams, but I think it is the most intense match of Spain.

@Spinnaker1981 Lel of course I was.

Edited by VALL_es

10 minutes ago, Potato said:

We want revenge from 2004 and 2006 @Spinnaker1981. Disallowed goal for no reason in euro 2004 and Ronaldo getting Rooney sent off in 2006.

And what did we win in 2004 and 2006? :D:D:D

And in 2004, we had 59% ball possession, double the attacks, triple the shots on goal, you were lucky... very lucky to get to the penalty shoot-outs.

And, in Campbell goal our goalkeeper was pinned to not get to the shot. It was rightly disallowed, sorry...

And it was our goalkeeper who defended Vassel´s shot and then proceeded to score the winning goal...

Most people didn´t know that Ricardo started his football life has a striker, not has a goalkeeper... :D

Edited by Spinnaker1981

@Spinnaker1981 : Euro 2000 was loooooong ago. You should have had your revenge earlier. :P

2016 was at home and you ruined it ! Revenge will be ours ! 

My local team is Tours FC, currently last in 2nd div. going down for sure. 

But my favorite team is St Etienne. They're doing OK after a catastrophic beginning. Hopefully they qualify for Europa League. 

A long time? Well, I guess Portugal is to france as greece is to portugal.... ??

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Haha 1