PS Plus

DO you pay for PS Plus? Was it worth it?

I not sure if I am still a + member or not, I did pay for it a couple times but it wasn't worth it to me as I am only playing one game, I have little interest in other games. I did download a few free things but overall not worth it to me.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I was a member and had maybe 3 good games from there for free.

Didn't see any more good stuff for a while and the discounts were not worth it so I ended it.

It is mandatory for Playstation 4 and as I purchased one I had to go along with PS+ as well but I don't regret it in the slightest. I think the free games you get monthly make it worth it, they do have the odd month where they aren't spectacular but to have the likes of Bioshock Infinite, the new Metro game and Tomb Raider free how can you complain?

I have it because it's mandatory for the ps4 in order to play online. I did download a couple of games for the ps3 for free but I'm just not in it for the free games. The only game I play on ps3 is Gta. Literally the only reason why I still have my ps3.

Edited by Dmos23

Wow, I can't believe it's been made mandatory for PS4, well obviously it makes sense for financial gain but from a consumer point of view It's pretty rough.

Wow, I can't believe it's been made mandatory for PS4, well obviously it makes sense for financial gain but from a consumer point of view It's pretty rough.

Considering people have had to pay for Xbox Live for the past 10-12 years it's not exactly a bad thing, Sony make more money out of it which just leads to getting better games for PS+ on all three platforms. PSN is worth £30 a year easily compared to the likes of Xbox Live.

Considering people have had to pay for Xbox Live for the past 10-12 years it's not exactly a bad thing, Sony make more money out of it which just leads to getting better games for PS+ on all three platforms. PSN is worth £30 a year easily compared to the likes of Xbox Live.

Yeah I agree, it is good value but it just seems wrong why Sony would not make it something their customers want, instead they have made it something they need.

If it was good enough the customers would still have a choice and the membership numbers would be high.

That is my only objection, if it leads to a better all round service then I will have less of an issue with it.

Considering the amount of Playstation 4's they sold I think it was only viable that they had to start charging for PSN when you consider the amount of work the servers are doing now.

Considering the amount of Playstation 4's they sold I think it was only viable that they had to start charging for PSN when you consider the amount of work the servers are doing now.

That's true.

I've had plus for 2 years or so? they release a great game maybe twice/year. the rest are just games that didn't sell well. the best thing is the auto update feature. games you've played within the last 6mo will auto update at the time you set. any system updates are downloaded as well. you get some discounts too, usually around 15-30%

its not a bad feature, better than Xbox live, but still a cash grab in my opinion. servers do take a lot, but $400 system +65/game is more than enough to support servers. according to a buddy of mine who picked up his ps4 yesterday, servers for madden are garbage

I've had plus for 2 years or so? they release a great game maybe twice/year. the rest are just games that didn't sell well. the best thing is the auto update feature. games you've played within the last 6mo will auto update at the time you set. any system updates are downloaded as well. you get some discounts too, usually around 15-30%

its not a bad feature, better than Xbox live, but still a cash grab in my opinion. servers do take a lot, but $400 system +65/game is more than enough to support servers. according to a buddy of mine who picked up his ps4 yesterday, servers for madden are garbage

To be honest a few of the games I mentioned above sold really well and yet still went out for free on PS+.

Also, game servers and the actual PSN servers are completely separate. EA are in charge of the Madden servers and are renowned for having god awful servers on there sports games, take it from me as a huge FIFA fan.

As long as PS+ stays better than XBL I don't mind paying for it. 

Apparently it is mandatory for PS4 online use

Sony finally succumbed to the Microsoft plan. It's unfortunate but hey, guess us PS3 users had a very good 10+ year free run. I'd pay for it - especially with saving $500+ in that decade too lol.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

It is mandatory for Playstation 4 and as I purchased one I had to go along with PS+ as well but I don't regret it in the slightest. I think the free games you get monthly make it worth it, they do have the odd month where they aren't spectacular but to have the likes of Bioshock Infinite, the new Metro game and Tomb Raider free how can you complain?

I'm not, if I am not mistaken it is quite cheap isnt it?

I never bought it for PS3 because I simply don't buy things I have no use for. Don't need it to play any of the online games I play.

Not sure why it is "needed" for online play with PS4 games....I can understand if it was for Sony games, but for example R* games? Why should I be blocked from connecting to R* servers for gameplay just because Sony wants to charge me to use R* services?

handcuff_charlie.jpg

I never bought it for PS3 because I simply don't buy things I have no use for. Don't need it to play any of the online games I play.

Not sure why it is "needed" for online play with PS4 games....I can understand if it was for Sony games, but for example R* games? Why should I be blocked from connecting to R* servers for gameplay just because Sony wants to charge me to use R* services?

It's around $40 and covers all three systems. The only reason Sony have done it is because they can, Microsoft have been doing it for 10+ years now and made a lot of money out of it. If we get better servers etc then I have zero complaints :).

It's around $40 and covers all three systems. The only reason Sony have done it is because they can, Microsoft have been doing it for 10+ years now and made a lot of money out of it. If we get better servers etc then I have zero complaints :).

I agree but my concern is what services? The money doesnt go to the game companies to cover the costs of better servers or whatever. It just goes into Sony's pocket and has just as much effect on non-Sony games as buying a controller does. Or at least thats how I understand it.

I never bothered with xbox so I dont know how much better, if at all, their online games are....do the xbox peeps have the same connection issues with GTA online as us on PS3?

I'm still looking forward to when PS4 has a Gran Turismo or other game for me that will justify buying it. It sounds like quite a step up from the PS3.

Edited by handcuff_charlie

handcuff_charlie.jpg

I agree but my concern is what services? The money doesnt go to the game companies to cover the costs of better servers or whatever. It just goes into Sony's pocket and has just as much effect on non-Sony games as buying a controller does. Or at least thats how I understand it.

I never bothered with xbox so I dont know how much better, if at all, their online games are....do the xbox peeps have the same connection issues with GTA online as us on PS3?

The issues are on both platforms from what I have read over the past few months, the problem lies with GTAO and R*.

PSN performance wouldn't be any better when their pockets are being filled quicker with the mandatory PS Plus memberships because without a good reliable server from the game developer we are all powerless as gamers and customers.

People say EA Sports servers are bad, I played over 3000 online matches on FIFA 14 before I got hooked on GTAO and my DNF was almost zero.

In fact all other online game services that I have used are very good on both platforms and I can't notice any differences that would justify a mandatory membership.

Edited by DavidCore89

I have it and love it. Discounts are nothing special, but the free games are totally worth it in my opinion. They've had plenty of good stuff. Ni No Kuni, Tomb Raider, Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, PES 2014 are examples of games that were free less than a year after release. A few of those are absolute gems, and others are good games with high production values that may cater to plenty of players.

On the other hand there's the "smaller" titles that I would never buy myself (lack of knowledge mostly) but that turn out to be great games, a few quite original (XCom, Catherine, Hotline Miami), others very good but underrated (Spec Ops: The Line - awesomely crude story, loved it).

All of the above in 8 months, that's what, 50€ in subscription? In Portugal I can't buy a new game for less than 60€ (most are 70€) and most old games don't come below 30€. On top of that there's a load of games that I didn't try but have activated and can download whenever I want (Devil May Cry, Remember Me, Bioshock)...

In short, I stopped buying games except for those premium titles that I really long for (GTA series, Gran Turismo, etc). 

Of course, if one only plays one or two games per year it's useless. If one likes to play often and varied games, and unless you're rich enough to buy everything on release day, it's totally worth the price.

Edited by Arruda
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

what if the game companies also charge a fee to use there online services? That would just drive me back to pc