Can you drive stick?

JustHatched

My oldest kid will start driving classes this school year and being these days and times I doubt he'll be learning to drive with a clutch. I've always known how to drive a stick, I probably learned when I was about 10 how to do it. I plan to teach him in our dump truck as it's the only thing we have with manual transmission, plus if he can learn to split shift those 10 gears he can drive a car or pickup.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Yes. Learned when I was 11 in a dune buggy. When I was 16 all the cars my family had were stick. My first 2 pick ups were stick. Last car sold and latest purchased are stick. Of course all motorcycles I've had are manual transmission although BeezWife once had a scooter that was auto, CVT really.

Here in the U.K. the vast majority of cars are stick (or manual as we call them here) about 80%. Although over the last several years the percentage of automatic sales has increased. This is partly due to hybrids using them. 

I noticed that everything in Canada seemed to be automatics, was strange cause like bry said, everything over here is a manual pretty much, that said my dad's jag is an automatic. 

5 minutes ago, Beez said:

Used to be manual was cheaper and got better gas mileage. Now it's the opposite and many cars sold here do not even have a manual option.

Yeah now the technology is catching up the computers inside the cars are able to keep up, makes sense tbh. 

With the release of 8 or more speed transmissions with non linear shift control, manuals will become even more rare in North America. In nearly all manufacturers for US sales, the Manual trans is more expensive option on the car from the factory. It requires a slight interruption to the manufacturing process,  thus costing more for the consumer. Even BMW is considering removing the Manual from the M3 for US sales. That's a dreaded thought. 

However, to answer the question, yes I can drive a manual. I own 2 manuals now, and 6 out of the 9 cars I have owned have been manual trans. 

Dodgeservice.png

6 hours ago, TheBoyBry said:

Here in the U.K. the vast majority of cars are stick (or manual as we call them here) about 80%. Although over the last several years the percentage of automatic sales has increased. This is partly due to hybrids using them. 

Same goes for Sweden. 

I know a few people that drive automatics, however I don't know anyone that only has an automatic licence. Pretty sure everyone in this country learns manual unless they're missing their left leg

That different. I read "automatic license"? You have a different drivers license for different transmissions? Or is it more of specific qualifications attached to your license? 

Dodgeservice.png

2 minutes ago, Dodge said:

That different. I read "automatic license"? You have a different drivers license for different transmissions? Or is it more of specific qualifications attached to your license? 

Yeah over here you can either learn to drive a manual/stick and then are legally allowed to drive anything or you can get an automatic only license, one of my old man's mates has one due to a medical condition which means he can't work a manual.

14 hours ago, TheBoyBry said:

Same in France. 

I believe most europeans know how to drive stick. 

In France, everybody pass his licence in a manual car. I don't think there is an automatic only licence here. 

I've owned both.

Had some nice automatics, but they're not exciting enough to drive, so I prefer manual.

Edited by DavidCore89

I think I've never been inside an automatic, they are kind of a luxury here in Brazil. Driving schools also only use manuals, leading to only one type of license.

In my opinion, everyone should learn manuals, for emergencies and things like that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I've owned both.

Had some nice automatics, but they're not exciting enough to drive, so I prefer manual.

Then you've never driven a car with performance automatic with higher stall converter! LOL!

I learned to drive my Dad's "Three on the tree" pickup at 11. I've had more autos than sticks. Sticks have been in performance vehicles and dump trucks. I still have a record in my Mach1 in a stock stick transmission. It's getting a new engine and transmission. I'm going to swap out the drag race orientated engine combo, built 4.6 DOHC with twin 62mm turnos and a race C4 transmission, for a Coyote 5.0 DOHC with the auto with a 3600 stall converter. I could easily install a T56 6 spd style transmission,  but the computer controlled 6spd auto is a beast and will outrun the stick by a very good margin.

With all that being said, I really do like to bang gears. I may later build a rat rod with a stick. I do have an old Ford 3spd with overdrive out of a 50 Ford car that would be cool to put behind something with an old flathead engine.

• Like 2

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

7 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

Then you've never driven a car with performance automatic with higher stall converter! LOL!

I learned to drive my Dad's "Three on the tree" pickup at 11. I've had more autos than sticks. Sticks have been in performance vehicles and dump trucks. I still have a record in my Mach1 in a stock stick transmission. It's getting a new engine and transmission. I'm going to swap out the drag race orientated engine combo, built 4.6 DOHC with twin 62mm turnos and a race C4 transmission, for a Coyote 5.0 DOHC with the auto with a 3600 stall converter. I could easily install a T56 6 spd style transmission,  but the computer controlled 6spd auto is a beast and will outrun the stick by a very good margin.

With all that being said, I really do like to bang gears. I may later build a rat rod with a stick. I do have an old Ford 3spd with overdrive out of a 50 Ford car that would be cool to put behind something with an old flathead engine.

True, I have not :)

Performance automatic cars are very rare in the UK, most automatics here are luxury cruisers (Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc).

All of the automatics I've driven have been heavy and quite slow off the line, so I use 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the box to maximize power and get a little bit of excitement from them.

15 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

Yeah quite a difference in stock and modded autos. My S10 shifts hard enough with a bit of foot on the throttle I think it could snap the driveshaft but a nice old Muncie 4 speed would be pretty sweet. 

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

2 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

True, I have not :)

Performance automatic cars are very rare in the UK, most automatics here are luxury cruisers (Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc).

All of the automatics I've driven have been heavy and quite slow off the line, so I use 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the box to maximize power and get a little bit of excitement from them.

When my friend told me he was buying a new 2014 Mustang, I told him to get the auto. He had owned a heavily modified 04 Cobra Mustang with a stick, so he was apprehensive about the auto. So he drove both and did get the auto. I then installed a 3600 rpm stall converter and it totally changed the car. It's not like the converters of old. You still have lock up ability and full control of the transmission by computer tuning.

6 minutes ago, Hatch said:

Yeah quite a difference in stock and modded autos. My S10 shifts hard enough with a bit of foot on the throttle I think it could snap the driveshaft but a nice old Muncie 4 speed would be pretty sweet. 

A Muncie would be a bit nostalgic, but a GM T56, or variant,  would be a much better option.

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 1 month later...

Yes, I drive a stick. My Ranger has a 5 speed, as does one of my Broncos. A properly built auto, with the right converter will almost always be quicker. Would love to put one of the new 6spd autos in my '65 Mustang. All of the Kenworths where I used to work had the Eaton super 9's in them.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I drive both, I have owned 5 autos and 9 Manual (stick) (Actually, 3 autos and 2 robotized manuals)

I can say that the 8speed on the 2011 535d is amazing (the old 6speed on the 2007 model was not great) and it beats any manual you can have around.

But, on a general basis, specially in small and underpowered, low torque cars (remember 90% of all cars sold in the EU are 2.0cc or below, and 50% of the total amount of cars sold are 1.5cc or below), the manual is pretty important. Just try to drive a diesel smart (I have owned 2 now) and see if you wouldn´t be a whole lot better of with a manual gearbox on that one.

Manual makes you feel more in control, but, in fact, it forces you to take the hand of the wheel and the foot off the accelerator. And tha means you are actually not so much in control of the car as you could be in an auto, though you can, for sure, do a lot of stuff you cannot do in an auto.

The future is not having to press clutches and to shift gears, for sure, but enjoyment wise: give a manual!