Favourite Cover Songs

LimeGreenLegend

I love a good cover song, one that takes the original in new and unexpected directions, so I thought I'd start a thread to share a few of my own and see what are your favourite cover songs, any genre, any artist.

A galloping Iron Maiden style cover of one of my favourite Radiohead songs.

Radiohead covering Carly Simon's brilliant Bond song from The Spy Who Loved Me.

And perhaps the greatest cover song of all time, Hendrix's version of Bob Dylan's All Along The Watchtower.

• Like 2

Nice @Fido_le_muet that's almost as good as the original, maybe even on par in my opinion.  It takes me back to my teenage years, I had a friend in high school who was the spitting image of Marylin Manson, 6ft4, gangly, long hair, was called Christian but referred to himself as Christ Himself :D  He was the singer in my shitty high school punk band The Fuzzyhoax :D

• Like 1

Really dig the vibe of this one.

gotta love Faith no more, this one really lets paton's voice shine.

this list could go on and on tbh, but if you only listen to one make it this one, it's a mega cover of chim chim cher-ee ffs! Starts quiet but then goes to full band and is awesome

• Like 1

@Crawford1872 Loved that Turin Brakes song!  Never really listened to them before, will be checking them out now.

On a similar note of songs from kids films, have you heard any of this?

They covered the entire soundtrack, it's incredible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Crawford1872 Loved that Turin Brakes song!  Never really listened to them before, will be checking them out now.

On a similar note of songs from kids films, have you heard any of this?

They covered the entire soundtrack, it's incredible.

Hadn't heard that but jeez from a writers point of view that is really hard to get right haha, pretty impressive tbh

2 minutes ago, Crawford1872 said:

Hadn't heard that but jeez from a writers point of view that is really hard to get right haha, pretty impressive tbh

I just love Primus, Les Claypool could shit on a snare drum and I'd listen to it.  I'd probably think it was amazing too.

I've ran out of likes haha ? But yeah I get ya, late 80's early 90's America was the place to be for sure musically. As for the Turin brakes check out the video for "time and money" great tune and they pay homage to reservoir dogs, probably my favourite film of all time 

• Like 1

Right!

Where to begin. I too love a good cover. Really into metal/screamo covers of pop songs at the moment.

I'm on mobile at the mo so I will update this with videos when I get on pc

• Like 2

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

couldn't edit last post, so:

And like magic I appear on pc, even though I just wanted to put my feet up, drink cider and watch benidorm. Anywho, I digress.

in no particular order:

Metallica - Turn the page - Just a simply stunning song, definitely one I put on when I'm feeling in a bad mood and need to rock!

The Animal in me - Black Widow (Iggy Azelea Cover) - screamo cover at its finest. This bad do loads of pop covers, all of which are pretty damn good

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little wing (Hendrix Cover) Hendrix's version is amazing, but when I first heard this in a late night youtube session I was blown away

Metallica - Whiskey in the jar - another awesome Metallica cover I can play over and over again.

Thats all for now, as I feel I may kill the page with any more videos. Music is a subject I will talk about for ages and ages so I apologise.

If you havn't seen any of the above I recommend them highly, especially more of the animal in me stuff!!

Oh and this to annoy the wife:

Edited by Catmandoza
I'm a numpty
  • Like 1

Haha my phone did that earlier Catman, posted on everything 4x :D Garage Inc is fucking phenomenal, Loverman etc, although turn the page is a cut above the rest clearly. SRV is the greatest that ever lived. Great fun to play. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crawford1872 said:

Haha my phone did that earlier Catman, posted on everything 4x :D Garage Inc is fucking phenomenal, Loverman etc, although turn the page is a cut above the rest clearly. SRV is the greatest that ever lived. Great fun to play. 

Annoying thing is I'm on PC.

Ive just noticed you avatar pic! Good man, I have an electric guitar squirreled away somewhere,b ut it hasnt seen the light of day for 4 or 5 years. I was never that good anyway

Oh, and beards!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Crawford1872 

I know you're a Pink Floyd fan too, they also do a pretty mean Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Oooh thanks will give these a listen, the Ryan Adams cover is back in my first post in the thread I think also :P 

• Like 1

That Ryan Adams cover was really good too, remember listening to it when you first posted it :D

I still want to hear Bryan Adams version though.

• Haha 1

@Crawford1872, if you a Pink Floyd fan, here is one recently out by Avenged Sevenfold

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• 2 weeks later...

As some might know, I'm an inveterate Beatles fan. I usually don't particularly like covers of their songs, as I'm too used to their versions. There are exceptions though.

First, the only one I'll acknowledge to be better than the original version. A million times better. It's just sublime. I've known it since a child, and before I knew it was originally from the Beatles.

This one surprised me. I don't really know the singer, but someone sent me the link and I was blown away.

Nothing special about it. Very similar to the original version. But I just love Eddie Vedder, so he gets a place here.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2017 at 5:00 PM, LimeGreenLegend said:

Obviously I love that. Never heard it before. "Found my way upstairs and had a smoke". That's how I got to know you could smoke in the second floor of London buses back then. That's how deep you get embroiled into this stuff. Probably the song that made an "inveterate" when I was borrowed Sgt. Pepper's in 9th grade.

Also loved that one @Hatch Will be watching Roger Waters live for the second time in a few months. I adore Pink Floyd.

Edited by Arruda
  • Like 1