GTA V PS4 Router/ Modem issues

My issues started after the GTA V December update, I am always connected to Ethernet since the days of PS3, with multiple new Ethernet cables & a fiber optic one, I have no connectivity problems with any other game.

Well the problem could range from a few things IMO:

1) PS4 Hard Drive/ Disc Drive lens

2) Modem/ router compatibility & features issue        Mines being a Huawei HG8245Q

3) Internet Service Provider

4) R*

Lets start with the hard drive. When launching GTAV, wait until a black screen appears after the initial splash art has disappeared, and hold down L1+R1 throughout the opening scenes, this will reset your GTA V Profile Settings also turn off auto save & manually make a single game save, the game will also load to online faster. 

While the PS4 is off hold down the power button until you hear the second beep & on the menu choose 'Rebuild Database.' If the problem still persists you might need to initialize your Hard Drive which would be my last approach in this tutorial, it erases the whole hard drive leaving only the system default software which is known to solve PS4 problems with games, but not a guaranteed fix.You can create a backup via a usb 3.0 drive spanning from 250GB - 8TB. To initialize go to settings>initialize and follow the on screen instructions. Get the system software from the link below. (scroll to the bottom of the webpage, the file will always be close to 900MB in size but if not you have chosen the wrong file to download https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/.) 

The lens of your PS4 disc drive could be worn out and needs to be replaced or just dirty & not reading the disc properly. Remember to initialize if reinstall the system software or if formatting took place. Having only one GTA V save file helps speed up initial game loading time, upload & delete the extra saves.

Our Modem/ router features may vary in name but execute the same functions. Go to LAN >DHCP Static IP Configuration & insert your PS4 Mac Address (Lan Cable)  example  'AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF' & your PS4 IP Address Example 192.168.1.1 to find this on the PS4 just go to Settings>Network>View Connection Status. On the router enable IPv6  If the method of obtaining LAN addresses is 'NOT' SLAAC. Under your router security settings  Security> DoS Configuration, this should be the only setting enabled 'Prevent ICMP Redirection Attack.' Normally I would recommend DMZ Mode but my modem states & I quote 'The DMZ device restricts unreliable external connections from linking up to the device.' Your Cat5/Cat5e RJ45 network Ethernet 8-pin adapter port might have some play to it due to manfacturer making it a bit too large making the Ethernet cable slightly loose when plugged into the port, when the Ethernet cable is plugged in, tug the cable in & out to see if your console disconnects from the internet.

Contact your Internet Service Provider & ask them to open all your ports & also ask them to make your Public IP Address a 'Static IP Address,' but if they can't make it static you might want to hold off on opening all ports because in that case your external IP Address is dynamic so it constantly changes, this is where DDNS is required to rectify that issue. A simple way to check if you have a Static IP Address or not is to unplug your modem/ router for 10 sec & plug it back in, & go to the very next link below. If the Public IP Address numbers on that website changes after repeating this test over a couple times then you NEED to contact your ISP & definitely make the aforementioned request.

Now we're dealing with the DDNS, when DDNS is enabled the previous public IP address will still change when doing the unplug for 10 sec testing but the difference is it will hide the actual Public IP Address but also use it. On the modem/ router, go to Network Application>DDNS Configuration> Service Provider drop down list & use one of the website's from your routers list & make sure at lease one of them provides free DDNS Service. After using your pc & signing up, create a HostName Example Smurf.DDNSDYD.COM from the website & using the host name in the router DDNS setting & test it. Use one of the public IP address, only from the link below. You will find a external ip address to use in your DDNS here http://www.whatsmyip.org/.

Moving on to port forward all your now opened ports, look for your router brand & model here  https://portforward.com/router.htm, after finding your router on the website, in step 4 change the application to 'Grand Theft Auto V Playstation 4' & input the IP address of your PS4 so that the website shows you the accurate ports & how to enter the ports to be forwarded. Ping test your PS4 IP Address while its turn on from your computer, on the computer hit the windows key type cmd & start the Command Prompt app & ping your console ip address Example  ping 192.168.1.1 -f -l 1473 keep lower the number of the mtu sent to Example(1472, 1471, 1470) until all mtu packets are sent 100% without an issue, the high the working value the better. Create a new network on the PS4, choose the manual method & use the working MTU numbers along with inputting the other obvious details.

Find the fastest DNS from a computer here with this software benchmark https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

The next settings below might vary in name & menu's but carry out the same functions. It is basically there to reduce ping.

On your modem/ router's go to QoS (Quality of Service) Setting> Enable - Dynamic QoS

>  Enable - Performance Optimization Database

If you hit any snags hit me up on the PS4 @Smurf_Glory

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 1

I have not read all of it but tutorials are always nice :)

in your case I'd blame either the console itself or r*... have you ever read about people complaining about those same issues? Just curious :)

• Like 1

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

Good stuff.

Already have static IP as standard.

Can't do port forwarding on my ISP's router without paying £30, but I don't have enough issues to warrant it.

11 minutes ago, grjkie said:

in your case I'd blame either the console itself or r*... have you ever read about people complaining about those same issues? Just curious :)

All the time, where have you been for the last 3 years? :P

Kidding. The port forwarding thing was actually posted by R* ages ago, it's on their support pages because so many players weren't able to connect to others, but if you're experiencing issue-free gameplay (which I think you are) you probably wouldn't have noticed that it's such a big problem for some. 

@Smurf - Don't forget the useful info about the MTU :) 

• Like 2

Yeah, i guess i am one of the lucky ones so far, reason why i find it weird people have issues of their own lol :D

I actually remember one of the psplus free games giving me connection issues once, they advised about the mtu settings but i did not want to fuck it up for all other games and stubbornly told their support that i would not change anything and like me i bet a lot of people would not either... The only issue, ever... I have some disconnects somedays but i guess its because of my pc, the streams, my wife kids etc... I lose connection to gta but still streaming :D 

But i acknowledge that i have had a good experience with sony since the beginning. I just love the PS, maybe someone is boosting mine? ;) 

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

1 hour ago, grjkie said:

I have not read all of it but tutorials are always nice :)

I didn't want to get too into my issues but since the December update I had issues for 5 monthz straight until I literally took a weekend testing everything. From contacting my ISP, communicating with R*, router & PS4 settings solved it for me if you went through it you probably would have stopped playing. R* can't handle dynamic IP addresses well I think it will still be a problem for every future games from them.

1 hour ago, DavidCore89 said:

Good stuff.

Already have static IP as standard.

Can't do port forwarding on my ISP's router without paying £30, but I don't have enough issues to warrant it.

All the time, where have you been for the last 3 years? :P

Kidding. The port forwarding thing was actually posted by R* ages ago, it's on their support pages because so many players weren't able to connect to others, but if you're experiencing issue-free gameplay (which I think you are) you probably wouldn't have noticed that it's such a big problem for some. 

@Smurf - Don't forget the useful info about the MTU :) 

Yeah the MTU Info is way down the bottom lol guess you did not read that far as of yet. It seems to me your ports are closed if you have to pay £30, I only had to call my ISP & wait 7 days for them to open all my ports but the firmware on the router limits me as it is çustom for the ISP & can't update it. Didn't want to write this long a$$ thing for the 3 years @DavidCore89 but it's time. Some people routers might have settings beyond mines so I don't know all the possibilities of what their setup can harness.

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 1

(I can mess around with my router) but with gta you are most likely right @Smurf, I would try to open some ports and quit playing if the problem wasn't there :D on second thought I don't think I would... I would probably try all I could because I love the game as well :) 

www.ishare4free.com

On 6/6/2017 at 2:14 PM, Smurf said:

My issues started after the GTA V December update, I am always connected to Ethernet since the days of PS3, with multiple new Ethernet cables & a fiber optic one, I have no connectivity problems with any other game.

Well the problem could range from a few things IMO:

1) PS4 Hard Drive/ Disc Drive lens

2) Modem/ router compatibility & features issue        Mines being a Huawei HG8245Q

3) Internet Service Provider

4) R*

Lets start with the hard drive. While the PS4 is off hold down the power button until you hear the second beep & on the menu choose 'Rebuild Database.' If the problem still persists you might need to initialize your Hard Drive, it erases the whole hard drive leaving only the system default software which is known to solve problems with games, but not a guaranteed fix. You can create a backup via a usb drive spanning from 250GB - 8TB. To initialize go to settings>initialize and follow the on screen instructions. Get the system software from the link below. (scroll to the bottom of the webpage, the file will always be close to 900MB in size but if not you have chosen the wrong file to download https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/.) The lens of your PS4 disc drive could be worn out and needs to be replaced or just dirty & not reading the disc properly. Remember to initialize if reinstall the system software or if formatting took place.

Our Modem/ router features might vary in name but execute the same functions. Go to LAN >DHCP Static IP Configuration & insert your PS4 Mac Address (Lan Cable)  example  'AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF' & your PS4 IP Address Example 192.168.1.1 to find this on the PS4 just go to Settings>Network>View Connection Status. On the router enable IPv6  If the method of obtaining LAN addresses is 'NOT' SLAAC. Under your router security settings  Security > DoS Configuration this should be the only setting enabled 'Prevent ICMP Redirection Attack.' Normally I would recommend DMZ Mode but my modem states & I quote 'The DMZ device restricts unreliable external connections from linking up to the device.' On your router go to Network Application > ARP Configuration & put in your PS4 IP Address & Mac Address. Your Cat5/Cat5e RJ45 network Ethernet 8-pin adapter port might have some play to it due to manfacturer making it a pinch too large, when the Ethernet cable is plugged in tug the cable in & out to see if your console disconnects from the internet. I recommend purchasing the Edgeroute Lite the next time your shopping for a router for the best features & superb performance, it's not for ADSL users though.

Contact your Internet Service Provider & ask them to open all your ports & also ask them to make your public ip address a 'static IP Address,' but if they can't make it static you might want to hold off on opening all ports because in that case your external IP Address constantly changes in which a DDNS is required to rectify the issue. A simple way to check if you have a static IP address or not is to unplug your modem/ router for 10 sec & plug it back in & go to the very next link below, if the public IP address numbers on the website changes after repeating this test over a day then you NEED to contact your ISP & definitely make the aforementioned request if you want to now go the DDNS route if your device supports that feature. Now we're dealing with the DDNS, when DDNS is enabled the previous public IP address will still change when doing the unplug for 10 sec testing but the ddifference is it will hide the actual public IP address & also use it only. Go to the modem/ router settings, go to Network Application>DDNS Configuration> Service Provider drop down list & go to one of the website on the list & making sure at lease one of them provides free DDNS Service after signing up, & creating a HostName Example Smurf.DDNSDYD.COM & testing it, using one of the public IP address only from the link below or if your willing to pay then ....You will find a external ip address to use in your DDNS here http://www.whatsmyip.org/. Moving on, to port forward all your now opened ports, look for your router brand & model here  https://portforward.com/router.htm, after finding your router on the website, in step 4 change the application to 'Grand Theft Auto V Playstation 4' & input the IP address to your PS4 so that the website shows you the accurate ports & how to enter the ports to be forwarded. Ping test your PS4 IP Address while its turn on from your computer, on the computer hit the windows key type cmd & start the Command Prompt app & ping your console ip address Example  ping 192.168.1.1 -f -l 1473 keep lower the number of the mtu sent to 1472, 1471 until all mtu packets are sent without an issue.Create a new network on the PS4, choose the manual method & use the working MTU numbers along with inputting the other obvious details.

Find the fastest DNS from computer here with this software benchmark https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

If you hit any snags hit me up on the PS4 @Smurf_Glory

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, not sure how old this post is.....but wanted to share something that just seemed to work for me, at least for the time being, could be something or maybe just luck....lol

I was trying for hours to play online, every time getting booted offline in under 5 minutes. So I restarted the game and let story mode totally load up (before hitting square during load up to go straight to online mode).......Once story mode fully loaded, then I went online......and I haven't been knocked offline yet!

AS I said, maybe it's something, maybe it was just luck.....

6 hours ago, juicedup said:

I was trying for hours to play online, every time getting booted offline in under 5 minutes. So I restarted the game and let story mode totally load up (before hitting square during load up to go straight to online mode).......Once story mode fully loaded, then I went online......and I haven't been knocked offline yet!

AS I said, maybe it's something, maybe it was just luck.....

Your Profile Settings was definitely corrupt, by going into story mode it mostly likely Asked you to do a quick auto save where you would just press X. thus fixing the issue & swiftly move onto online rather than holding down L1+R1 at the black screen when the game was starting.

Edited by Smurf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...