Do you play to win?

DavidCore89

Been thinking about this over the past few days.

Some might say if you play to win you'll be even more disappointed when you don't win, I agree and that's what makes me wanna win even more.

Others may say playing to win will reduce the amount of fun you have in game, I tend to agree with this too but it's dependent on which game you're playing I guess.

For me, right now GTAO is all about having fun with everyone and I try to put that first, although my competitive side comes out as soon as I enter any event, I have no control over that.

I enter each event with the same thought in my mind - Win.

I guess in GTAO the payout for the winner makes it more competitive but other games have almost no reward for a victory.

Fun should come before winning in most games but my competitive nature takes over.

Anything else feels like a heavy defeat, even a close 2nd is not good enough for me, not because I expect to win - I want to win.

So, do you play to win, for the fun or for another reason?

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Matusware

• bullittblitz

• Dodge

Top Posters In This Topic

I play to win which is why I play DM much more often than race as I am much more skilled in that area...With that being said I focus on missions pretty much every second I am on because I love being virtually rich.

Sometimes I am that guy where if I do not place highly I feel like I wasted my time...How don't have to win a race ( which is very rare ) or win the DM ( I win my fair share ) but normally as long as I don't get my ass handed to me I am cool with it...But as you all know that is my issue not the guy whoopin me...I cannot think of the last time I got whooped in a DM. I am very methodical and always thinking on my feet...Where to take cover, what weapon to use, who to attack...

If we are ever in a public room together and my kids are not around you will hear me spit some venom if someone is coming at me and has a mic. I love talkin shit...It can take another person out of their game and make them doubt their ability...I play pickup bball to this day and its the same thing there...

I am super competitive in DM and one reason I really don't like playing against the crew in this regard is I love talking shit...The things I say would cause bad blood because its rhythmic and improvisational and I apply no filter...

When I am talking shit I play much better...I might be alone in this.

I don't cheat or play dirty..but I use all options the game gives me.

• Like 2

i try to play for fun but i'm a competitive person aswell, i always aim for the top even tho i can barely reach. i tend to end up firmly in the middle of most jobs. if i wreck too much or get too overwhelmed on a DM i tend to give up bc i know i'm not gunna win which can end in 2 ways, either i go all out, wreck tremendously, guns a blazin, or i just drive casually and hide out til its over. i don't do it for the money, i can camp coveted for that, its more for the recognition, to get at least 1 person to think, hey.. he's pretty good.

EDIT: i'd like to point out that my competitiveness never results in poor sportsmanship, i never intentionally ram, bump, 'spawn kill', or seek out only 1 specific individual.

in fact a funny moment i had during "container yourself" when i go on my usual sniper shootout, watched i believe Matusware spawn on the other end and had his head in my scope for almost a min trying to figure out how long a decent time to wait til after a spawn to kill, unfortunately i didn't notice he was scoping me out aswell and i ended up dead :D.

Edited by Onrefne
  • Like 3

I play to win which is why I play DM much more often than race as I am much more skilled in that area...With that being said I focus on missions pretty much every second I am on because I love being virtually rich.

You're a good DM player that's for sure and I enjoy being teamed up with you, I bet your record is pretty good.

Do you have an aim to be the richest crew member? I know your bank balance is looking pretty healthy  ;)

• Like 1

i try to play for fun but i'm a competitive person aswell, i always aim for the top even tho i can barely reach. i tend to end up firmly in the middle of most jobs. if i wreck too much or get too overwhelmed on a DM i tend to give up bc i know i'm not gunna win which can end in 2 ways, either i go all out, wreck tremendously, guns a blazin, or i just drive casually and hide out til its over. i don't do it for the money, i can camp coveted for that, its more for the recognition, to get at least 1 person to think, hey.. he's pretty good.

I appreciate the honesty there man but I have noticed your competitive side many times during a race, I admire the bravery when your happy to go side by side into a corner where others would naturally back off.

DM skills are not bad either, especially with a sniper rifle in your hand  :).

I also recall you winning the Sandking race the other day made by Hannabis (sorry I forgot the name of it), I bet that was pretty satisfying.

• Like 2

I play to win. I want to have fun, but winning is the goal in any contest. Sadly I have become more comfortable in not winning. This is because we have so many high skilled players in this crew. I still try, but it's getting harder every day to succeed.

• Like 3

Dodgeservice.png

Wish I could win more often because like you david my comp side takes over unfortunatly I've always just been the average gamer across every game I've ever played, can hold my own and run with the top guys but never truly a top guy. With that said I'm not a sore loser either I can accept that there will always be someone better

• Like 4

Future is nothing but a series of probability

I play to win however with the skill in the crew its tough. I am usually mid to back of the pack in everything, however I am getting better watch out guys I'm coming for you. Lol don't hold your breath it will be awhile.

• Like 1

I think this is what put me off DMs for so long but I've realised how fun they are now so I'm not too bothered as long as I'm not getting totally destroyed. I'm not a competitive person which is why I don't race I usually hang back to avoid bumping into people  :wacko:

I usually play for fun because in the end it's just a game, but I play with a goal in mind. Like others said it's great to win but I won't rage quit or cry about it. I absolutely sick horribly at death matches but I have fun and laugh when I get killed in a funny way.

• Like 1

Being a former semi-professional poker player, I too have a competitive streak inside of me.  It's there, I can't change it.  However, I play mostly for fun, as there is not any real money involved here.

Like many others, I do try to give it my best and win.  If I don't win, I'm ok with that too.  However, I don't have much patience for cheating or intentionally playing dirty.  That sort of thing just frustrates me, and I don't consider that fun at all.

• Like 2

It depends, sometimes yes sometimes no. I've given away easily over 300 race wins to people. I've given many headstarts passed em all and still let someone else win, either because they showed me good heart by hanging in there, or they need the wins for mods. I think I've received only about 1/2 a doz. wins this way. As for deathmatches, I play GTA for the racing.... I don't mind them, some are heaps of fun, some suck, just like some races, but I definately don't play them to win as I'm hopeless at them. I do believe I am improving a little since being with DB.

If you load up a field full of competent racers... you will most certainly see competitive Rev come out to play :)

• Like 2

There's a dichotomy in why I play. Half of it is for me, for my own amusement. I'm not set out for this or that, but if it interests me I'm in. I play to improve myself in what I'm interested in. There's always going to be someone better so playing for the sake of winning is moot in my mind. I do the best with what I have and what's in front of me.

The other half is for others. Without them one can only sustain an interest in playing on their own for so long. This includes socializing and immersing yourself in group dynamics. This may also include a willing sacrifice on my end from time to time. For example: holding back so they win or intentionally making a mistake for their benefit. I do this occasionally when I sense it'd be best to because I like to see people enjoy things (especially if they feel they're not very good at something). If it lengthens their overall stay with things and makes it more enjoyable to them, then it's completely worth the subtle manipulation. After all, without the company of other people (friends in this case), you may as well be playing SP by yourself.

Edited by G37
  • Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I play to win. I want to have fun, but winning is the goal in any contest. Sadly I have become more comfortable in not winning. This is because we have so many high skilled players in this crew. I still try, but it's getting harder every day to succeed.

You get your fair share of wins to keep you a happy dodge, I hope  :D

Wish I could win more often because like you david my comp side takes over unfortunatly I've always just been the average gamer across every game I've ever played, can hold my own and run with the top guys but never truly a top guy. With that said I'm not a sore loser either I can accept that there will always be someone better

I have to say that you are probably the most easy going guy around when it comes to not winning, you're the first to make the jokes about it and I admire that because I would be furious with myself lol.

I know it's just a game, like any other game, but for me it's hard to separate fun from a good old ass kicking.

• Like 1

Well .. We all play to 1-win and 2-have fun .. None of us will join or start anything in GTAO aiming to lose or to cry .. The question should be how much your character can accept / stand the loss .. The answer will indicate the amount of fun that you can gain from playing ... I'm sure that loss for a lot of players is not 'funny' at all.

I play to win however with the skill in the crew its tough. I am usually mid to back of the pack in everything, however I am getting better watch out guys I'm coming for you. Lol don't hold your breath it will be awhile.

Lol that's funny. I've noticed improvement in DM and race from you and consider you a good player.

I agree, there are so many good players in the crew that winning is getting very tough but I'm sure you'll keep at it.

I'm not competitive at all. I play to relax and have some fun. I really suck at racing and it seems no amount of trying makes me better and I'm ok with that. I still try to do my best and don't give up no matter how many dnf races I get, I'll keep joining in and having fun.

• Like 2

kQ4fIRp.png

Well .. We all play to 1-win and 2-have fun .. None of us will join or start anything in GTAO aiming to lose or to cry .. The question should be how much your character can accept / stand the loss .. The answer will indicate the amount of fun that you can gain from playing ... I'm sure that loss for a lot of players is not 'funny' at all.

I guess a loss is funny if I knew I had no chance of winning, or if I did something really dumb and lost as a result of it.

If I have fun and lose I'm still happy but I still wanted to win  :)

Depends on my mood and what we are doing. I play to win most of the time, but if in a Sports Classic race and I get the Roosevelt out I am playing for fun. God save you all if I beat DC89 and Rev with the Roosevelt.

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Lol that's funny. I've noticed improvement in DM and race from you and consider you a good player.

I agree, there are so many good players in the crew that winning is getting very tough but I'm sure you'll keep at it.

I do have a never give up attitude. I enjoy all parts of the game win or lose its just a little better to win. Thanks DC89 means alot.

Does anyone else play better when there is trash talking involved?

Not necessarily, bullitt, but it doesn't necessarily bother me.  As long as we aren't trashing talking other crew members, that is.  I think friendly, competitive banter is fine, but I would never hurl any sort of verbal attacks towards people involved in the crew.  That's just me though.

As far as other things are concerned, I too like to hang in there regardless of the outcome.  You won't find me rage quitting or getting upset if I come in dead last.  I think practice is important, and while I may not play just for the sake of winning, I do like to work to improve my game.  That's just the competitive side of me. :)

• Like 3

Depends on my mood and what we are doing. I play to win most of the time, but if in a Sports Classic race and I get the Roosevelt out I am playing for fun. God save you all if I beat DC89 and Rev with the Roosevelt.

I hope that day never comes  ;)