Locust's DIY greenhouse

Locust_cnd

Sup guys lately since the weather here's been warming up the wife and I have been gearing up for spring,

So far we've got a few diff seedlings going zucchini, 3 diff tomatoes,cucumbers,green beans, mint, oregano and thyme.

I'm using all used pallets and 2x4 I get from my job sites after I finish the build trying to keep this and low cost as possible , the garden area in my yard was already built before I'm creating the greenhouse part on top of the existing garden ,

I'll continue a little journal here on my progrss building and the plants growing as well and NO there will not be any weed in this garden this is to feed my family , if your interested in seeing a weed grow journal and me a pm and I'll send you a link to one I did a while ago but this one will be a SFW journal.
imagejpg1_zps7b00b17a.jpg

Here's the greenhouse itself sides are poly'd and the roof you see built has since be removed i was using scrap wood from around the yard but it ended up bein real shitty so im in the process of getting some more lumber and building some better trusses I have 2 installed but need to brace them and build 2 more.

I poly'd the shitty roof first and didnt think about wind coming through the front and sides basically turning my roof plastic into a wind sail and it destroyed the first attempt I did.

greenhouseside_zps20556a78.jpg

Onto some plants!

First up we have two tomatoes growing strong and theres another 3 planted and have now popped through the soil since I took this pic

tomatoes_zpse561b7be.jpg

Next is cucumbers 3 little guys coming out

cucumbers_zps2e7632ae.jpg

Here we have 2 bean plants thriving here's a picture about a week prior to the new growth you'll see 

beans_zpsdc90c430.jpg

Zucchini plants 4 in total two are looking amazing

zucchini_zps11b9ef62.jpg

And lastly here are a few beans not doing as well some are looking pretty sad but Ive got a few tricks to bounce them back up!

morebeans_zps21d85f79.jpg

I need to take a few more pics because inside the centre of the greenhouse we've planted 3 rows of lettuce, jalepeno peppers, and a few different tomatoes and we have more beans and peppers started in large pots outside of the greenhouse (neighbour wanted to get invloved in the grow!)

Everything we've planted is also from seeds so its pretty exciting to see stuff growing so well :) 

My wife and I have minimal gardening experience other than my indoor hydroponic stuff which is alot different than outside

If you have the space I'd suggest doing this too 90% of the structure is built with free wood (skids from jobsites) just takes your time and love and you'll get delicious food for your family instead of GMO waxed garbage 

Edited by Locust_cnd
updated OP
  • Like 1

Future is nothing but a series of probability

Cool, but when I read the title my first thought.....

• Like 11

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Exactly what I'm doing we ang the food in our stores is not what it's made out to be

Exactly what I'm doing we ang the food in our stores is not what it's made out to be

dont buy veggies that get sprayed with water. stores do that to trick the consumer to think its fresher, all it does is help the veggies rot and go bad quicker

Don't have an option when money's an issues my friend that's why we're doing this

Looking good man, even without the recreational veggies.

Do you have a compost bin? Can you set up a rain collector to water your garden with?

• 2 months later...

shit hannabis i never answered ya! We did get a compost bin but havent set it up yet works been eating my time up working 14 hour shifts but ive had a few days off inbetween and we've done alotta work since my OP 

Sorry for not update this sooner but heres a pic of some progress and some new green!

i will edit the OP with pictures to keep the thread from being cluttered

OP only let me post so many images so Ill post the updated ones here

Here's some new beans growing!

ngbeans2_zpsf0a55928.jpg

ngbeans1_zpse492419d.jpg

New growth on the Zuchs! 

ngzuch_zpsd958c864.jpg

ngzuch1_zpsa54697a6.jpg

• Like 2

I usually only grow Basil in pots on the balcony to have it with tomatoes and for pesto. Wanted to grow mint this year too, but it was an akward time as it pretty much rained for 2 weeks, then I simply fogot abotu it. Next year maybe. Love mint in different salads (Lebanese style). I'm addicted to mint tea too.

If I had a yard I'd definitely grow more stuff, veggies you get in supermarkets are tasteless compared to home grown. I envy you! :P

Lack of weed in this greenhouse.

Thumbs down  :(.

;).

If you wanna see my "other" garden i have it posted on a safer forum LOL pm me and ill send you the link to it!

I usually only grow Basil in pots on the balcony to have it with tomatoes and for pesto. Wanted to grow mint this year too, but it was an akward time as it pretty much rained for 2 weeks, then I simply fogot abotu it. Next year maybe. Love mint in different salads (Lebanese style). I'm addicted to mint tea too.

If I had a yard I'd definitely grow more stuff, veggies you get in supermarkets are tasteless compared to home grown. I envy you! :P

We started a few erbs but they didnt take off very well everything was from seeds so its really hit or miss...

We're lucky we have this space because we just rent an apartment in this duplex and the backyard is a community thing but its huge so no one minds that we take up the space, plus were gonna be sharing we are only 2 adults 2 boys and a puppy we cant eat it all!

• 1 year later...

Bringing up an old thread. Any other urban farmers out there?

After a 2 (3?) year hiatus, I've just put basil, parsley and chives seeds in 2 big flower "pots" (?).

One is full of basil, which is so verstatile for cooking. Fresh basil lifts ordinary dishes onto a whole new level, that dried up shit you can buy in supermarkets doesn't even come close. Not to mention ... Pesto!!! Yummm. :) 

The other one is just parsley and chives.

Basil should start popping out in 2 weeks, where the other 2 need a bit more time.

Plastic foil and that honeycomb mesh are there to prevent the damn birds from digging up and eating all the seeds. It also acts as a greenhouse and speeds up germination/sprouting (or whatever you call the process of seeds turning into plants)
Few years ago when I started this, they literally dug up the whole pot with soil everywhere but in the pot. :angry:

9ObQckI.jpg

P.S.: Yeah, I know I should have cleaned up my balcony first, but I cant be bothered, it's been like that for few years now, so what's the point. :lol:

• Like 3

We have a small garden and grow various things mostly in pots. I say "we", but my wife does most of it because she's into gardening, I get roped into watering & digging. We have bay and rosemary bushes (there may be some other herbs as well) plus tomatoes in hanging baskets outside the kitchen door. There's a cucumber plant and some sweet peppers in a small greenhouse. Different sorts of beans are planted in the ground. But my own personal favourite is our cherry tree, in a very large plant pot. We don't get that many cherries, obviously it can't grow that big in a pot, and we have to make sure we pick them as soon as they are ripe otherwise the birds east most of them. I'll see if I can get a photo because it's blossoming at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zmurko said:

It looks like it'll have a lot of cherries for its size. Have you thought of putting it out of the pot and into the ground? Give it more room to grow, could be a nice shadow in summer too.

The tree came with my wife when she moved into my house. She'd had it for a few years in a much smaller pot and we transfered it to a bigger one, then to the current one. I think she always thought we could take it with us if we move, but she says it's too big now. There isn't really anywhere to plant it in the garden. Where it is now would be too close to the house for my liking (tree roots can undemine foundations), the house begins about a metre to the right of the wooden fence on right hand side of photo. We don't really need anymore shade. The big building you can see on the top left is a football stadium. That already blocks out direct sunlight in the afternoons. So it's going to have stay in that pot and get no bigger.

Edited by djw180

• 2 months later...