Non American Opinion

JustHatched

First off no offense meant to anyone

I was reading one of the other topics that discusses future GTA cities and most seem to think they will be in the USA and it made me think to ask this.

Most games I have ever played that involve real world countries the games have the USA taking on forces in another country (Usually Russia).

SO, if you do not live in the USA are the games that way or are they made different for each country and have say England vs Russia type thing, or are you forced to play a role as an AMerican?

I always thought if wierd (especially since alot of games are Japanese made)

Hope I made sense

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

They are the same everywhere. At best you can change the language.

Some games might have very tiny adaptations due to a country specific laws, i.e., green blood because of PGA ratings.

Edited by Arruda

SO does it ever piss you off having to play that way?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I have the UK release of GTA 5 and nobody has offered me in a for a cup of tea yet, not even Madrazo.

I have enjoyed games where you are playing as British characters but not for years since The Great Escape and The Getaway.

I think to use an already established lets say 'rivalry' in a game between 2 countries is a good thing for me, it makes those kind of online games very competitive even though I have no hard feelings towards any country.

It does cause an almighty reaction in other countries where war violence / references is not accepted at all, for example Russia, Iran and even China.

Playing as an American or a mute as I am in GTA is cool with me.

Edited by DavidCore89

Not really. Speaking for myself and Portugal here but we're heavily influenced by American culture in movies, music, etc. I just can't imagine myself playing some sort of Portuguese super-agent, they exist nowhere, not in our literature, not in our movies, not in our TV shows.

Not to say I wouldn't like to play from a different and original perspective, but other than the Japanese hero (usually in fantasy games) or the occasional UK agent, America is all we get. Never played with a Russian other than the small campaigns in some war games.

^^ The Getaway was a funny game, and sounded extremely original with all the London based stuff. The City was boring for anyone that doesn't know real life London though, real-life cities don't work very well in games because they're whole blocks of the same stuff, and streets aren't designed for exciting action. Felt exactly the same in LA Noire.

Edited by Arruda

Not really. Speaking for myself and Portugal here but we're heavily influenced by American culture in movies, music, etc. I just can't imagine myself playing some sort of Portuguese super-agent, they exist nowhere, not in our literature, not in our movies, not in our TV shows.

Not to say I wouldn't like to play from a different and original perspective, but other than the Japanese hero (usually in fantasy games) or the occasional UK agent, America is all we get. Never played with a Russian other than the small campaigns in some war games.

^^ The Getaway was a funny game, and sounded extremely original with all the London based stuff. The City was boring for anyone that doesn't know real life London though, real-life cities don't work very well in games because they're whole blocks of the same stuff, and streets aren't designed for exciting action. Felt exactly the same in LA Noire.

I agree, too many traffic lights and everything looked the same

I'd say video games are the reflect of our western society.

You americans are leaders (or major players) in almost every form ofentertainment.

It's only logical that video games put us in the shoes of american people.

It's the same in TV Shows and movies.

I don't mind it because as Arruda said, I have a hard time picturing a badass french super agent, super cop or super hero.

We're just not used to it and attempts made in France are all a little goofy. I just don't buy it.

Of course we could use some diversity. Diversity is always the best way to go but I'm not shocked about the huge dominance of America in entertainment.

I think it's because we're all (well a large majority of us) from Western countries. Our way of life is similar, whether we're americans, british, germans, italians, finns or frenchs.

GTA V has the forth road and forth rail bridge in it and I'm sure San Andreas did too so there's a wee bit of Scotland there lol. It doesn't bother me what nationality I'm playing as long as the game is good.

GTA games based in the UK probably wouldn't work because firearms are outlawed. Ammunation could only sell umbrellas, cricket bats, etc. And the jerry can would be replaced with a flask of hot tea!

• Like 7

this was a interesting topic, it havent ever bothered me that im "forced" to play as americans soldiers (for example)

if it were finn army that would be a bit boring... more yelling and punishment

for example guy did smoke a cigarette in nightwatch, sergeant blew his gasket and made that guy bury the cigarette 6ft down in frozen ground, after cigarette was buried he`s next task was to make small cross for it...

if i can choose where GTA 6 should be ill say bring los santos and liberty city together

I don't think about it. 90% of the time the best films and tv are American. Where the UK has an advantage is music. Now that is way ahead of America. 

The Getaway. Now that's going back some.

Edited by Troysayshi

I don't think about it. 90% of the time the best films and tv are American. Where the UK has an advantage is music. Now that is way ahead of America. 

I happen to agree with you in regards to music.  There is nothing better than 1970s music from the UK.  That is the origin of progressive rock!

Also, as an American, I don't only watch films and shows from my own country.  I watch plenty of films from the UK and elsewhere.

If a game featured a non-American setting with non-American characters, I would have no problem at all with this, as I tend to prefer variety.

However, I do hope that those of you who have never been to America don't think we are all like movies and games portray us.  I can assure you that the country is vast, and the differences between people and places is quite significant.

I have to be honest but in regards to TV and films, I find the American stuff too far fetched for me and the differences are noticeable, however there are some American film producers who have a magic touch when it comes to films I enjoy, most notably Quentin Tarantino.

The only American TV shows I watch are those by Seth Mcfarlane and The Big Bang Theory.

In terms of music, my preferred genre has influences from Netherlands, America, Australia, Japan, UK and much more.

I have regular contact with many American music producers who I consider friends through skype and have had the pleasure to collaborate too, I certainly appreciate a different angle of approach.

The difference in comedy is unreal, for example Frankie Boyle (Scotland) would not get out of America alive if he told his jokes across the pond, he is incredibly offensive and I hear his kind of comedy is not acceptable on TV or a stage in front of a crowd in America and other countries.

He has been banned from the top UK TV stations.

I enjoy many American comedians but I find them a bit 'fun', that's not an insult or anything but such a large numbers of Brits enjoy it a more 'tasteless' humor if you like, sometimes we are not happy until the comedian has sickened us with their jokes, leaving the crowd in near shock, disgust and/or a laughing fit.

I guess this is off topic a bit, If so I apologize.

Edited by DavidCore89

I thought the first Resistance game was good but that's maybe because part of it was set around the corner from me (Nottingham) and I recognised a few streets as I was blasting the Chimera.

Most of my fave tv shows are American made but with a heavy British influence. I like Walking Dead which has a Brit as the lead and Game of Thrones which is littered with British talent.

As for other game I don't mind playing as an American. Obviously GTA wouldn't work over here too many narrow roads really strict gun laws and cctv!  Quite like the idea of a UK based parody of GTA building on the flask of tea/jerry can idea! Scones as grenades!?

As an American it's actually the flipside for me. I want to play as other cultures and nationalities. I love British gangster flicks like Lock Stock and Layer Cake, so The Getaway was great to me.....same with Sleeping Dogs.

• Like 1

alchemist3321.jpg

So MLB does that mean you've got the Steve Wilson 'Close To The Edge' blu-ray then ?

I did not know this existed, but I thank you, as you have given me a new item to order from Amazon.  I have listened to Yes since I was old enough to breathe.  :)

I better not mention 'The Yes Album' blu-Ray due out this month, Same thing. Steve Wilson. No doubt you've pre ordered this already.