FREE BEER (also i'd really appreciate your help with this thing...)

Crawford1872

Right there's no free beer i admit it, but i could really do with your help in relation to a uni project i've left far too late and am currently blasting through, but i need some data.

Doing a study into Vinyl collections in the 21st century as there has been a bit of a resurgence in it's popularity (also known as the "manbun and beard effect) and i'm looking into the varying ways in which people collect/sell/view vinyl today. So i have a quick question...

How many of you here either buy Vinyl records, sell Vinyl records or even just have a collection in the garage you forgot about till right now? and if you were to sell, do you know how you would go about this? (ebay, job lot, phone a collector, take it into a record store, put it in the bin etc etc)

Anyone with literally anything to say on this please reply below and that would be massively helpful as the deadline is in 24 hours  (i'm an idiot i know) and if it's alright i may anonymously quote any responses in my report, just say if you'd rather i didn't

Many thanks troops :) 

• Like 2

I think I have a couple somewhere, both Queen albums from the 70s bought years after they came out because I liked the cover art, I already had the CD versions as well. I don't have anything to play them on. Never thought of selling. If I did, and they were sellable, there's a Record Collector shop in Sheffield (where I live) that I assume would buy them. I've no plans to buy any more.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, djw180 said:

I think I have a couple somewhere, both Queen albums from the 70s bought years after they came out because I liked the cover art, I already had the CD versions as well. I don't have anything to play them on. Never thought of selling. If I did, and they were sellable, there's a Record Collector shop in Sheffield (where I live) that I assume would buy them.

Cheers DJ, aesthetics are actually the biggest reason people hold onto vinyl these days rather than listening to the record itself, appreciate it :) 

• Like 1

Rose has a fuck load of 45's and a jukebox plus some 78's and 33's. The 33's are all artist sent from when she owned a radio station, they sent them to her so they would get first play. If she were to sell it would be on ebay

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

My husband has a collection in our attic space of about 1000ish... he is now reliving them, glad we don't have a record player.... original gatefolds of Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Hendrix.... to 80's Goth and his 90's dance and rave music from when he DJ'd back in the day... I on the other hand have none :) ... Hope it helps :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hatch said:

Rose has a fuck load of 45's and a jukebox plus some 78's and 33's. The 33's are all artist sent from when she owned a radio station, they sent them to her so they would get first play. If she were to sell it would be on ebay

That's really cool, disk jockeys these days don't get to keep anything i'm guessing, nice one thanks

31 minutes ago, Xyon14 said:

My husband has a collection in our attic space of about 1000ish... he is now reliving them, glad we don't have a record player.... original gatefolds of Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Hendrix.... to 80's Goth and his 90's dance and rave music from when he DJ'd back in the day... I on the other hand have none :) ... Hope it helps :)

thanks it does help :)! the whole aspect of this project is around what people do when they remember they have all this stuff, reliving it is my personal preference also :) 

I have no Vinyl, never nad any eitjher even tho I am old enough for that ;-) My Wife has a stack of 30 odd records, they are in the cellar at rpesent with us having no means of listening to them. Also no Intention to sell them.... guess my daughter will inherit them in 30 odd years or something... that'S all I have to say about that.

7 minutes ago, MrBump360 said:

I have no Vinyl, never nad any eitjher even tho I am old enough for that ;-) My Wife has a stack of 30 odd records, they are in the cellar at rpesent with us having no means of listening to them. Also no Intention to sell them.... guess my daughter will inherit them in 30 odd years or something... that'S all I have to say about that.

Ran out of likes for the day :( but thanks bump!, and yeah this all stemmed from my inheriting my grandfathers records from the 50's/60's and it being decided that as the music student it was my job to sort them out... -_- so i figured i might as well make it a uni project giving me an excuse to drag the process out till february at the earliest :D 

Getting a good spread of responses here also so thanks everyone 

I have some of mine, some of my parents' and some from my father-in-law. I also have a record player that has a broken belt and an ION record player that plugs into your computer so you can convert it to digital. Worked like shit, got like one Blue Brothers album recorded before it started making strange noises. I would still like to digitize some of them and then sell or give them away.

2 minutes ago, Beez said:

I have some of mine, some of my parents' and some from my father-in-law. I also have a record player that has a broken belt and an ION record player that plugs into your computer so you can convert it to digital. Worked like shit, got like one Blue Brothers album recorded before it started making strange noises. I would still like to digitize some of them and then sell or give them away.

Cheers Beez :) I use this audiolab integrated amp http://www.highfidelityreview.com/audiolab-8000a-integrated-amplifier.html and a cd digital recorder to record things from vinyl to cd then stick it on the computer that way, works pretty good but you have to listen to the record play, pause, turn it, keep going etc without making too much of a bump to cause the record to jump, but all my doors albums i only have on vinyl and it does actually sound like you're listening to vinyl more than a cd remaster does. 

My dad has a ton of vinyl including an Abbey Road picture disk hung on the frickin' wall. What you say about aesthetics is true. I bought the Ray Parker Jr. Soundtrack to Ghostbusters from a car boot sale purely because I like the emblem. 

I realise this is probably not very helpful but you did say.......

2 hours ago, Crawford1872 said:

Anyone with literally anything to say on this please reply below and that would be massively helpful as the deadline is in 24 hours  (i'm an idiot i know) and if it's alright i may anonymously quote any responses in my report, just say if you'd rather i didn't.

yFn5uY6.png

Just now, Matty said:

My dad has a ton of vinyl including an Abbey Road picture disk hung on the frickin' wall. What you say about aesthetics is true. I bought the Ray Parker Jr. Soundtrack to Ghostbusters from a car boot sale purely because I like the emblem. 

I realise this is probably not very helpful but you did say.......

nahh man that's great, it's all great, i have 3000 words to write and all i really need to say is "i'm gonna sell some vinyl on ebay and some to a record store and see what the differences are" so all this helps me massively haha! , picture disks are awesome though my old man has the iron maiden trooper one, pretty sure sainsbury's did a survey the other year when they started restocking vinyl and something like 70% of people who bought it had no way of listening to it but liked the look, cheers mate :) 

I should have a few stored in my mom's cellar somewhere, including my first record I ever bought, MJ's 'Bad'. I hope they're still there, eventhough most are crap music, including this piece of shit:

s-l1600.jpg  :lol:

But what does a 11/13 year old know about music anyway.

Anyway, I believe CDs were introduced soon after that, so there's really just a few.
There should also be my grandad's collection of some classical music and few operas on vinyl there.

No intention of selling them, maybe in 40 years if someone's offering real good money. But if I was to sell them, I'd try ebay.

Edited by zmurko
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, zmurko said:

I should have a few stored in my mom's cellar somewhere, including my first record I ever bought, MJ's 'Bad'. I hope they're still there, eventhough most are crap music, including this piece of shit:

s-l1600.jpg  :lol:

But what does a 11/13 year old know about music anyway.

Anyway, I believe CDs were introduced soon after that, so there's really just a few.
There should also be my grandad's collection of some classical music and few operas on vinyl there.

No intention of selling them, maybe in 40 years if someone's offering real good money. But if I was to sell them, I'd try ebay.

Bros wow, pretty sure they're doing a comeback tour soon hahaha, and cheers man, that's the really interesting thing when it comes to vinyl more than any other format, the emotional value often beats it's physical worth

8 hours ago, Crawford1872 said:

Right there's no free beer i admit it

Sorry @zmurko technically a disclaimer in line one :D and yeah i think they were a bit pricey though haha