4k TV or VR?

Question as the title.

I'm now happy with my PC set up for now. The next thing on my upgrade list is going to be my viewing equipment. I currently have a 3 year old 40" 1080 LCD TV, nothing wrong with it really but seeing as my PC is 4k compatible I think I could get better. 

I've seen 4k TV's at around £400 but the alternative is getting the oculus rift or PSVR. 90% of my free time at home I'm gaming, other 10% of the time I do have company and end up watching films TV etc. 

Should I buy a new TV or save up the extra cash to get the VR equipment? Few things I'm not sure about are, is the Rift compatible with Playstation VR or is the PS VR compatible with PC, having one device to work on both systems would be ideal. 

Apparently the PSVR will be PC compatible but the rift is PC only.

If you're spending most of your time gaming I would get the VR over the TV, but that's just my preference.  Can't wait to play games and watch some films on a massive screen that fills up your entire view.  I'll probably watch 2001: A Space Odyssey first :D 

2 hours ago, DavidCore89 said:

4K TV.

IMO it's gonna be one of the next purchases that most gamers make.

I agree. Samsung's newest processor is quite good at up scaling. Set a budget limit for this Christmas and see if you can get a good deal.

My latest TV purchase is quite a bit above your amount above, but quite often I'm blown away with the picture! In regular mode, GTA is quite amazing, but the response time in gaming mode is a bit quicker. In my model, once you choose your mode for each input, it automatically switches between modes.

One thing to consider also, with VR coming, you most likely will need a graphic card upgrade to your puter if you want to utilize it fully. I would add that to your TV budget for a fair comparison.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

1 minute ago, zztop911 said:

One thing to consider also, with VR coming, you most likely will need a graphic card upgrade to your puter if you want to utilize it fully. I would add that to your TV budget for a fair comparison.

My PC is already fully compatible for VR. I would get more out of it if I upgraded to something like the 1080GTX but my 970GTX is more than adequate for VR.

4k TV. I'm happy with mine.

I'm still firmly planted in the opinion that VR will just be another gimmick that rapidly fades away.

I think it will stick around if it improves the performance and interaction in game for the user,

but was thinking that it would probably degrade vision rapidly overtime being so close to the face.

I guess some will experience motion sickness, which will result in them just selling the thing.

I had it pre-ordered (VR) and put £100 deposit down, but cancelled it as soon as Slightly Mad Studios did a U-turn on supporting VR in their first release of the game.

I only want it for sim racing, I have no intention of standing up or moving around while playing games, otherwise I'd get a Wii.

Prices will drop after it's been out a while anyway, £350 to get it now, I bet it'll lose £50 in retail before Christmas.

Edited by DavidCore89

I'll stick with TVs, my console and my controller for the next 5 years at least until I see an actual significant and worthwhile improvement in this kind of technology. I'd much rather strengthen whatever screen I play my games/watch movies on first over this experience. For now. We're still quite a ways off.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines