Boxing

DavidCore89

Any fans here?

It's one of my favourite sports, but I've only seen it mentioned on these forums once, that was by me :).

• Like 1

I use to follow boxing, more as a teen. Then I got into MMA. I plan on getting my 4 year old daughter into boxing though. We were just talking about it. I want her to have some sort of self defense training, but I think boxing opens up more doors then just standard "Self Defense." 

Check this girl out, and her siblings to!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lIIlCompleXlIIl said:

I use to follow boxing, more as a teen. Then I got into MMA. I plan on getting my 4 year old daughter into boxing though. We were just talking about it. I want her to have some sort of self defense training, but I think boxing opens up more doors then just standard "Self Defense." 

Check this girl out, and her siblings to!

Wow... That kid is absolutely incredible!

My 14 year-old sister is a boxer. Started karate at 8, moved to kick-boxing at 10 and then realized she had a talent for boxing. She's a tall girl for her age, so needs to work hard as she will come up against older opponents. I'll have to show her that video one day.

I don't mind MMA (when they actually hit each other and not roll around too much), but I find boxing to be more honorable, it has the history advantage as well. Legends are made in boxing, but people forget MMA champions much quicker.

By all means you can use boxing as self-defence, but remember that boxers can only defend against punches.

Boxing is big in my country, in my city and in my family. Even my 80-year-old grandmother will watch on TV if anyone local is fighting.

Got into it really early, it was always on at home when I was growing up and I'd always back the guy who had the support of my household (the Welsh or British guy).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind watching a fight once in awhile, dunno who anyone is other than Mayweather. 

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

16 hours ago, Hatch said:

I don't mind watching a fight once in awhile, dunno who anyone is other than Mayweather. 

He's a great boxer, that 49-0 record speaks for itself (assuming you're talking about Jr.)

Edited by DavidCore89

I'm a big fan of the sweet science.

Marvin Hagler/Tommy Hearns was the first fight I remember watching as a kid.

Looking forward to Golovkin/Brook and I hope Carl Froch comes out of retirement.

2 minutes ago, SeymorScagneti said:

I'm a big fan of the sweet science.

Marvin Hagler/Tommy Hearns was the first fight I remember watching as a kid.

Looking forward to Golovkin/Brook and I hope Carl Froch comes out of retirement.

Golovkin/Brook is gonna be a huge fight, can't miss that!

Calzaghe/Eubank was the first fight I can remember. I was quite young, tried my best to stay awake, but only really caught a few seconds at a time when my mother would be shouting at the TV :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

I am personally into almost all the combat sports which up to a few years was kickboxing, muay thai, judo, greco roman wrestling (all sports that fall into MMA) and even "fake" wrestling but i could never get into boxing. My dad and uncles are old boxing fans but they refuse to watch any boxing nowadays because they claim that boxing has been fixed and has been corrupted by money. 

I could not disagree or agree but anytime ive seen a boxing match its been beyond boring. Ive seen plenty of really old footage from even just 15 years ago and boxing seemed so much more dynamic. I love watching old Mike Tyson clips but ive just never thought modern day boxing is any more exciting than any of the other combat sports ie, mma. Maybe since i wrestled in high school can get more into mma since it has more of that element..i dunno, i just know that boxing doesnt seem to be as popular as it once was and im not the only person who feels this way 

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

3 hours ago, JALJ said:

I am personally into almost all the combat sports which up to a few years was kickboxing, muay thai, judo, greco roman wrestling (all sports that fall into MMA) and even "fake" wrestling but i could never get into boxing. My dad and uncles are old boxing fans but they refuse to watch any boxing nowadays because they claim that boxing has been fixed and has been corrupted by money. 

I could not disagree or agree but anytime ive seen a boxing match its been beyond boring. Ive seen plenty of really old footage from even just 15 years ago and boxing seemed so much more dynamic. I love watching old Mike Tyson clips but ive just never thought modern day boxing is any more exciting than any of the other combat sports ie, mma. Maybe since i wrestled in high school can get more into mma since it has more of that element..i dunno, i just know that boxing doesnt seem to be as popular as it once was and im not the only person who feels this way 

Lots of fights are boring these days, sometimes due to a mismatch in boxers or just boring boxing styles. I don't think Tyson was ever in a boring fight though :)

Boxing certainly doesn't have the characters that it used to have, they were half of the appeal.

Boxing is still popular, maybe not as much in the US since they're no longer dominating as much as they used to, but the above fight sold out the London O2 in 11 minutes!

Definitely a sport ruled by mega amounts of money. 

Edited by DavidCore89

I like wrestling. Don't get any entertainment watching two people actually trying to hurt eachother but I can respect the sportsmanship and skill needed to do it.

Give me Sami Zayn v Kevin Owens any day of the week.

That reminds me, i recently saw something on viceland about bareknuckle fighting in the UK. Now that is absolutely brutal yet beautiful at the same time :lol:

It makes me cringe because ive been hit in the face with a fist and it is just so unpleasant, yet these guys are out here doing it for a living. These guys have my respect but dont really think they need it haha

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

7 hours ago, JALJ said:

That reminds me, i recently saw something on viceland about bareknuckle fighting in the UK. Now that is absolutely brutal yet beautiful at the same time :lol:

It makes me cringe because ive been hit in the face with a fist and it is just so unpleasant, yet these guys are out here doing it for a living. These guys have my respect but dont really think they need it haha

Yeah, that's much more brutal and dangerous than a controlled boxing match.

It's very common in the UK, almost anyone can enter bare-knuckle fights and fight for money, but the damage they take is insane.

My girlfriend has a lot of travellers/gypsies in her family and they know quite a lot about that scene, not sure if any of them take part these days.

Each time I see a bare-knuckle fight I'm always very shocked.

Edited by DavidCore89

• 10 months later...

Frampton/Gutierrez bout for tonight postponed after Frampton doesn't make weight and Gutierrez slips in the shower :mellow:

7 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Frampton/Gutierrez bout for tonight postponed after Frampton doesn't make weight and Gutierrez slips in the shower :mellow:

Quite pissed at that tbh, was supposed to be on freeview tae, refuse to pay for boxing 99% of the time so was looking forward to it. 

Yeah, free to air boxing is rare, was disappointed.

Feel like Frampton has seen his better days, 2 defeats in a row, now failing to make weight.

Will watch Broner/Garcia in the early hours on Sky.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Josh Taylor vs. Miguel Vazquez this weekend, free to air on Channel 5.

Should be a good fight, hopefully the Tartan Tornado can put himself in the mix for a world title shot.

I rate him very highly, but think McGuigan's aren't going to be able to put him in the public eye as much as his talent deserves.