Air Racing: General Q&A

Dodge

Here is an area to have General Q&A about Air Racing. This is a safe place to have informative communication about Air Racing. 

Dodgeservice.png

What is the best way to steer/turn the damn things? Just left and right, just r1/l1......both? I'm a decent pilot, as long as the touchy CP system is playing nice but just get smoked in the turns. Those that have it figured out will just leave everyone else in the dust....or is it coulds ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinister said:

What is the best way to steer/turn the damn things? Just left and right, just r1/l1......both? I'm a decent pilot, as long as the touchy CP system is playing nice but just get smoked in the turns. Those that have it figured out will just leave everyone else in the dust....or is it coulds ;)

This +1, I like to get my plane turned a bit to use up and down as my turn for anything more than an easy "Curve off" to next check point. I'm sure some of you see me sideways going into checkpoints, this for me, makes it easier to turn and get ready for the next checky. Whats everyone else's opinion.

From what I've read it's faster to use only the joystick to turn. R1-L1 slows you down by a bit. I try to use them only for final adjustments.

The only tip I can offer is the top of the checkpoint is more consistent than the bottom. I always try to clip or brush the top inside quarter of a checkpoint. That seems to keep me more clear from other pilots too when doing contact. There's the whole area around a check point, but isn't the checkpoint, where if you fly through it it still registers but I find the bottom half is inconsistent. 

Always cut the CP in the top corner of the direction that you're heading in, avoid the bottom half of the CP in case it doesn't register.

Example: CP ahead shows left turn, hit it in the top left corner and you can cut it by a lot.

I'm also unsure if rudder is slower, I tend to use it most when there's a sharp turn, otherwise I try to use the stick as Hatch said it's faster.

On 01/08/2016 at 3:16 AM, Sinister said:

I try to be as direct as possible. I'll start to turn a little bit before the CP (think of it like the apex of a corner) and turn as quickly as I can and point it directly to the next CP. Hatch is a little quicker than me on a good day but I'll always give him a good run for his money and I always use the rudders. The problem is, I have no idea what make you go quicker or how I can improve my time. I've seen people race quickly who are all over the place so being direct doesn't necessarily make you quicker (although it should in theory) and I don't know where some of the faster pilots make up those extra few seconds.

As for Helicopters, I think knowing how they handle is the biggest thing. I do use rudders a lot but that's mostly on sharp turns. If you can avoid using them and do a slower, gradual turn, you're going to be putting out faster times.

Edited by ScottyB

scottyb1988.jpg

It could be that the faster air pilots are climbing less. Anytime you climb you lose speed and anytime you dive you can gain more speed than with the engine alone. So you never want to dip below checkpoints if you don't have to because then you will be doing unnecessary climbing.

• Like 2