Windows 10

Anyone got Windows 10 yet?

I've been offered a free upgrade for both my systems even though the copy of windows I have for my media server is a pirated copy. 

It runs like a legal copy, has the genuine software logo and I have no issues with it at all but wondering what would happen if I upgraded.

Also if I do upgrade, decide its complete trash and want to go back to Win 7 how easy would that be too do without wiping out the whole system?

My plan was to upgrade on my media server first, see if it's any good before installing it on my laptop which I use for work.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• DavidCore89

• zztop911

• furdog

I actually have Windows 10 and got it free after reserving a copy before it came out. It somewhat works like Windows 7 but in my opinion I think it runs faster and it's also easier for me.

As for going back, I think only way would be to go through the installation process which will sadly wipe everything unless you create a folder and stick everything you don't want to lose in it. From past history with upgrading and downgrading, I didn't lose any files that I created or made copies of.

ive got it and if you prefer the older style of windows (start menu) then its good kinda old and new at the same time, not so sure about edge tho i have alot of problems loading pages and tbh the only reason i use it is becuase twitch freezes on chrome for me

nicolabellamy77.png

Gonna wait for the last minute to update mine (june '16).

I prefer to wait for them to patch the issues.

But from what I read, the update is worth it :)

My PC keeps letting me know about my free copy, and it's best to reserve it and all the other BS.

I don't want it, a lot of my production software won't run on Windows 10 until a new version is released of the software, but licenses can cost hundreds or even thousands.

I wish I could take the damn notification off of my PC, I'm happy with Windows 7.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

Same as DC, I don't really want it. Our IT people at work have told us not to install it there as they are not sure what software will work with. So as I do occaisionaly work from home I won't be installing Windows 10 here either.

I'm very happy with it and consider it the best version of Windows so far. I received an email from the laptop supplier telling me not to upgrade as they couldn't confirm compatibility. I went ahead regardless, the upgrade went fine but I wanted to install it on a new SSD. Fresh install went fine and activated on the SSD, Windows 8 drivers installed and work flawlessly.

I haven't had any software compatibility issues (although I don't use much software). I did read that all software and drivers should work on Windows 10 as it shares similar architecture with previous versions. Obviously there will be exceptions so manufacturers / IT departments won't commit to anything until they're sure.

My VPN used to disconnect every hour or so on Windows 8, it stayed connected all day yesterday on Windows 10. I also found it very easy to stream videos to my downstairs TV. I'd guess there are loads more features for media centers so I'd suggest you go for it! I doubt you'll have any reason to roll back to Windows 7.

Anyone got Windows 10 yet?

I've been offered a free upgrade for both my systems even though the copy of windows I have for my media server is a pirated copy. 

It runs like a legal copy, has the genuine software logo and I have no issues with it at all but wondering what would happen if I upgraded.

Also if I do upgrade, decide its complete trash and want to go back to Win 7 how easy would that be too do without wiping out the whole system?

My plan was to upgrade on my media server first, see if it's any good before installing it on my laptop which I use for work.

Once upgraded you cannot go back, unless you have the original official disc, which you don't.

Most of the unofficial Win 7 discs will no longer work, a friend of mine ran into the same issue a while back where it was automatically detected as soon as the disc is read.

The 'Genuine' icon that you speak of simply enables the updates.

Edited by DavidCore89

I've been running Windows 10 for a few months now. Started when it was out as a developer preview and have been updating it regularly as new releases have come out. So far, the released version has been very stable for me. I don't use a lot of non-Microsoft software so if you use any of that it's always good to check with any of your software companies to see if it's compatible with Windows 10. While most software should work fine, there may be some that might not work. Squirrel, as far as your current copy goes, I have not heard if updating non-genuine version of Windows will work correctly so you may want to check around about that. There was some miscommunication from Microsoft that any version, genuine or pirated, would update but that was changed.

kQ4fIRp.png

I have it reserved but not really fussed about installing it. Especially after a facebook friends comment who is a reliable source.... QUOTE Word of advice. Windows 10 is a failure. I've seen laptops bite the dust, including my personal laptop due to Microsofts failure. Initially, the touchpad didn't work after the upgrade. It uninstalled my virus protection, and now, the keyboard won't function. That means, I cannot go into safe mode or even log in. Don't trust the hype, Windows 10 is nothing but a farce. UNQUOTE  

Not going to update for a while, if I do upgrade at all. Windows 10 is very intrusive into your private life, if you don't know how to limit it. Some users are caught in a reboot circle when installing regular updates. The update install stalls at a certain percentage. The system sees a problem, so it reboots.....endlessly.

I have it reserved but not really fussed about installing it. Especially after a facebook friends comment who is a reliable source.... QUOTE Word of advice. Windows 10 is a failure. I've seen laptops bite the dust, including my personal laptop due to Microsofts failure. Initially, the touchpad didn't work after the upgrade. It uninstalled my virus protection, and now, the keyboard won't function. That means, I cannot go into safe mode or even log in. Don't trust the hype, Windows 10 is nothing but a farce. UNQUOTE  

Yep! Heard about things like that also.

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Once upgraded you cannot go back, unless you have the original official disc, which you don't.

Most of the unofficial Win 7 discs will no longer work, a friend of mine ran into the same issue a while back where it was automatically detected as soon as the disc is read.

The 'Genuine' icon that you speak of simply enables the updates.

I've actually got a win 7 USB stick but it was the apparent statement by microsoft that said they also able to upgrade pirated software which intrigues me.

.... Squirrel, as far as your current copy goes, I have not heard if updating non-genuine version of Windows will work correctly so you may want to check around about that. There was some miscommunication from Microsoft that any version, genuine or pirated, would update but that was changed.

This is the information I've been trying to find out, some sites say I can upgrade others say no. The official line seems to be if you upgrade from a unlicensed copy of windows 7 then the upgraded version of windows 10 will also be unlicensed. What that actually means for being able to use the PC I don't actually know.

I've had the following issues since I've upgraded:

Touchpad isn't working properly

System hangs randomly and runs slowly at times

Everytime I switch on the laptop it automatically runs a disc check

I'm going to reset the laptop soon and see if it makes things better.

As for going back to Windows 8,there is an option to do so(only for 30 days after upgrading) but I am not sure of the consequences. 

I'm glad this is being discussed, I wanted to upgrade and try it but now I'm not that eager to do it

• Like 1

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

I got Windows 10 the day it came out.  I had signed up and reserved my free copy when the notifications were popping up.  I'm quite impressed with Windows 10 aside from a very small problem.  I will sometimes get a warning notification that says Cortana isn't working.  You simply need to restart the computer and it will download updates, that for some reason, didn't install upon start up.  My laptop is for personal use.  Mostly for browsing the web, playing games and streaming videos.

Just to note, for people having issues with their laptops, Microsoft said that you had to make sure your computer could handle the new software.  Maybe their computers were kind of old to begin with and that's why they had issues.  I bought my laptop about six months ago, so I knew it would handle Windows 10 without an issue.  My other laptop?  Yeah, I'm not upgrading that thing to Windows 10.  It's just too old to handle it, even though it meets the initial qualifications.

I prefer Windows 10.  I didn't like the weird Start Menu tiles on Windows 8.  I still have those tiles, but in the start menu that pops up.  If that makes sense... not sure how to explain.  :lol:  Windows 10 works very well on my computer.

I wish I had a PC... My mac isn't useful whatsoever, expect for using the Internet. There are barely any games on OSX, and now apparently there's a virus that can destroy OSX, which just isn't cool.

Squirrel, i think having an unofficial version mainly means updates may not be automatic or work from the regular way. One other thing to keep in mind is if any of your hardware is older as the drivers may not yet be updated by manufacturer. I would recommend Win 10 to anybody but even then, there may be issues.

kQ4fIRp.png

I'm glad this is being discussed, I wanted to upgrade and try it but now I'm not that eager to do it

Same with me. I want nothing to do with Windows 8 either though. I don't care for it wish I could go back to XP or anything else.

I get what people say about win8 but it has been running smoothly without any issues on my machines, I also dislike the tiles, was much more used to previous versions of it but a start menu exactly the same as other windows can be installed on 8, I do it and I have no issues with it... I will eventually upgrade but just not right now.

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

I get what people say about win8 but it has been running smoothly without any issues on my machines, I also dislike the tiles, was much more used to previous versions of it but a start menu exactly the same as other windows can be installed on 8, I do it and I have no issues with it... I will eventually upgrade but just not right now.

Oh, I didn't know that!  I hated how if I bumped my mouse to the left of the screen, it would flip open the start menu with all the tiles.  So annoying.  I'm sure there was a way to turn that off, but I was too lazy to find it.  :lol:

• Like 1

Mine is set up like that also. Win 8 has been very stable for me. My laptop goes for days on end without rebooting.

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

As a rule of thumb I never install a Win OS when first released. Better to wait for the first SP than to be sorry.

There's no reason to upgrade if you have Win 7. From my experience it's rock solid. Now Win 8-8.1 is pure shite for pc use. It was developped for tablets after all. :lol:

My laptop goes for days on end without rebooting.

Your laptop shouldn't reboot at all. My computer has never rebooted in 2 years with win 7.

Edited by FragTrap666

As a rule of thumb I never install a Win OS when first released. Better to wait for the first SP than to be sorry.

There's no reason to upgrade if you have Win 7. From my experience it's rock solid. Now Win 8-8.1 is pure shite for pc use. It was developped for tablets after all. :lol:

Your laptop shouldn't reboot at all. My computer has never rebooted in 2 years with win 7.

I agree with you that it was indeed intended for tablet pcs but well configured it runs like win7, I can go a couple of weeks without rebooting the system but I do it by choice :) , I'm sure if I didn't wanted to reboot it it would run as smoothly as seven :D

And I enjoy win 7 as well :)

Edited by grjkie

www.ishare4free.com

I agree with you that it was indeed intended for tablet pcs but well configured it runs like win7, I can go a couple of weeks without rebooting the system but I do it by choice :) , I'm sure if I didn't wanted to reboot it it would run as smoothly as seven :D

And I enjoy win 7 as well :)

Exactly

So you've never used windows update? Most times a reboot is needed to finish the installs.

8.1 is fine with with a "start button" app and it's just as stable as good old win 7.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

One thing I've recently found out is that windows 10 can stop other not so legal software work. I do have a large amount of software I've acquired for personal use over the years. It's safe to say I won't be upgrading anytime soon on my laptop.