Big Bikes On Little Roads

ErnYoung

Big Bikes On Little Roads

Created for Lann3's A Domestic Tour of Los Santos: Motorcycle Edition event.

2_0.jpg

Motorcycle race up and down the goat trails of Mount Gordo on bikes better suited for touring expresso shops.

1-30 players

Locked to Nemesis Motorcycle

Lap Race

2.8 Miles

RSC Link: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/qNPRJ6us50i9ZJhxuCxbqA

I wanted to create a motorcycle race on the type of terrain that I enjoy riding my KTM 990 Adventure.

• Like 2

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing - General Dwight Eisenhower Allied Supreme Commander WWII

Certainly a narrow and difficult area to make a race in. Part of the enjoyment here though, is of course not taking speed for granted. There's nothing wrong with setting the tone for a slower race.

That said, the route is fun.

Structurally, there are a few areas that could benefit from some revised CP locations. For example.

CP 1 should be placed on the main road so if you're traveling toward it, it will be right next to the bridge. This will allow drivers to better understand there is a left turn coming up. Once you cross the short bridge, another should be placed on the apex of that corner as well (right where you have your rock props). The general idea is to have a CP on an apex of a turn so you know how to approach a corner, a bend or a turn. Going off of that, it helps to place future Cps in such a position that you can see them from the one before it.

Since your track follows a pre-defined path on the mini-map, it's a lot easier to know where you ought to drop CPs. You can do this simply by placing them on on "bends" or where the path starts to arc/bend .. right at the peak or apex. This will also help combat the other problem, keeping drivers on track. I imagine you might not want them to go over a less steep hill to get to the next CP/take a short cut (because I was able to do this a lot).

Just a few thoughts to improve this track, but I think the initial attempt/idea is a strong one.

Here's an old example of what I mean. One of my very first races, the red arrows signify where many of the Cps should be.

Untitled_zpsf8d8bf61.png

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Really enjoyed the race, Ern.  :)

The Nemesis is a great choice for this track because it's not too fast compared to some of the other motorcycles.

The track is very challenging, but that's a good thing IMO.  

Having to slow down for a tight bend or narrow piece of track is more fun than just going flat out all the time.

As G mentioned, there are a few CP issues.  It's more about keeping people on the intended course, rather than taking shortcuts.

Most racers will nearly always take the shortest/quickest route possible, and as long as we register each CP, then we convince ourselves we haven't done anything wrong.  :D

On a road course, the easiest way to combat this is to place barriers or props to stop corner cutting.

Due to the location of your track, barriers & props wont do the job, so CP placement is the best way to keep us on course.

Here's an example of where you can place some extra CP's if you want us to follow your intended path.  

To stop corner cutting, extra CP's should be placed on the track near the little pink circles.

You may need to move or remove some of the existing CP's once the new ones are in place, but most of them seem alright as they are.

ErP8Y8M.png

UrMbCI4.png

• Like 1

Certainly a narrow and difficult area to make a race in. Part of the enjoyment here though, is of course not taking speed for granted. There's nothing wrong with setting the tone for a slower race.

That said, the route is fun.

Structurally, there are a few areas that could benefit from some revised CP locations. For example.

CP 1 should be placed on the main road so if you're traveling toward it, it will be right next to the bridge. This will allow drivers to better understand there is a left turn coming up. Once you cross the short bridge, another should be placed on the apex of that corner as well (right where you have your rock props). The general idea is to have a CP on an apex of a turn so you know how to approach a corner, a bend or a turn. Going off of that, it helps to place future Cps in such a position that you can see them from the one before it.

Since your track follows a pre-defined path on the mini-map, it's a lot easier to know where you ought to drop CPs. You can do this simply by placing them on on "bends" or where the path starts to arc/bend .. right at the peak or apex. This will also help combat the other problem, keeping drivers on track. I imagine you might not want them to go over a less steep hill to get to the next CP/take a short cut (because I was able to do this a lot).

Just a few thoughts to improve this track, but I think the initial attempt/idea is a strong one.

Here's an old example of what I mean. One of my very first races, the red arrows signify where many of the Cps should be.

Untitled_zpsf8d8bf61.png

I agree on all of your points (see what I did there?) and am not happy with the checkpoint placements that I was forced to use.

Being a narrow path and on uneven terrain, the placement of checkpoints along this course is extremely limited. I pretty much put a checkpoint in every point that the creator allowed me to with an emphasis on the outer points of the turns. Prop placement was extremely limited here as well. For problem areas, I tried to place rocks to keep folks on track but that was limited as well.

I can see the problem with the first checkpoints, but I have not been able to edit the checkpoints without the direction of the checkpoints changing to unusable angles by the creator. It is weird but I can set the angle and once it is placed, the creator changes it to point to the CP after the next CP.

I will give this a go again this morning to see if I am able to make any improvements.

Thank you G, your input is always valued.

Ernie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing - General Dwight Eisenhower Allied Supreme Commander WWII

CP placement was the the only issue I had. Same as G. G had a very nifty little picture to help you. I don't. I suck. It was fun to play though. 

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

I was not able to edit the existing checkpoints due to the errors with the checkpoint directions still happening. Instead, I trashed all the checkpoints and started from scratch being extremely patient with the placement of the CPs on the uneven terrain. I believe I have sorted the issued with the shortcuts and the misdirection that the previous version allowed. Thank you all for your input and if you can see anyplace that could be improved, I will do my best to make it happen.

Ernie

• Like 1

I was not able to edit the existing checkpoints due to the errors with the checkpoint directions still happening. Instead, I trashed all the checkpoints and started from scratch being extremely patient with the placement of the CPs on the uneven terrain. I believe I have sorted the issued with the shortcuts and the misdirection that the previous version allowed. Thank you all for your input and if you can see anyplace that could be improved, I will do my best to make it happen.

Ernie

Regarding the respawn direction on dropping Cps: yeah it's a pain in the ass. I wouldn't worry TOO much about it though. It might be more important, generally speaking, in a bike race because odds are you'll be respawning more .. but it isn't the end of the world. 

The direction of the chevron/amount of chevrons to indicate the severity of the turn FYI has nothing to do with the direction the CP is facing. Chevron shape/direction are only dictated by the CP that follows it and their relation to one another. The more acute the angle between them, the more chevrons, hence the sharper the turn (how fast you can take something). The direction of the vehicles when you're dropping them is ONLY the respawn direction you face when you return.

Sometimes you have to fidget with a couple Cps to get the right chevron and sometimes it can be awkward, like having them very close to each other to get it right. It would be  a lot easier if you can manually adjust the chevrons, but alas, you cannot.

There are ways for dropping Cps in difficult spots too, like that area you're focusing on. Someone like Dodge/DC/Scotty/Snacks/Squirrel may have some insight on that though (I can't remember if it has to do with your starting vehicle type, camera angle in 1st or 3rd person, dropping it somewhere and editing the spot or what).

But hey, if you trashed it all to start again no sweat. You know where things go and going that extra mile always shows.

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Ernie

Just ran it again in Lann's PL, Ern.  It works really well now.   :)

I had a little play in the creator last night, just playing around with CP placements in that area.  Yeah, it's a bitch alright.   :D

The steep terrain makes it hard to place CP's exactly where you want, but in most cases you can get them close enough.

Ran the original course twice & finished 2nd both times.  On the updated course today, I finished 2nd last (DNF)

If you want to change it back to the way it was, you have my full support.  :D

BTW.  There seemed to be a few faulty CP's for some of us.  I was literally parked inside the CP and it still wouldn't register.  Had to circle around & go through it 2 or 3 times before it worked.

Squirrel said it might be the steep terrain that's playing havoc with them, but I've never come across that issue before.  

It wasn't happening on the original course, so might just be a one off glitch.  Something to keep an eye on though.  ;)

• Like 1

I think it was a check point on a wooden platform on the downhill section that seemed to be causing the issue. Even though there was a yellow halo that extended down past the platform I think it only registered when you hit the checkpoint above the platform.

I know there used to be an issue in air races where you could fly below the checkpoint and it registered as a hit. I believe it was patched though this could be the same thing.

Not sure how to fix it without going into the creator and playing around with the point itself.

• 2 months later...

Played in vetting playlist 9/23 with about 16. I love this course and part of the map but I didn't care for the bike. I know what you were trying for in this regard but I wonder if it would be better with the Enduro. It's slower and has better suspension.

• Like 1

Played in vetting playlist 9/23 with about 16. I love this course and part of the map but I didn't care for the bike. I know what you were trying for in this regard but I wonder if it would be better with the Enduro. It's slower and has better suspension.

I can get into the creator and lock it to the enduro... what could happen?

Ern