Post your favorite story (Movies, Books, Games)

Haste

As the title says, what is your favorite stories you have ever read/seen/played?

This can be from a book, a movie, a video game or from any other source of storytelling!

It is very hard to just pick one, i know, so post and talk about the ones you like the most if you have a hard time picking one.

-

My favorite must be from the game "The Last of Us", that game hit me right in the feels not even 15 minutes into the game, i was shocked, i was blown away by it, and in my honest opinion, it is storytelling on a very very high level, i got to bond with these characters, the story and the setting made me feel something i really haven't felt before!

It has been close to 6 months since i finished it, and to this day, it still haunts me sometimes.

Masterpiece, is all i can say.

-

I do love alot of other stories too, i can't get around Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, with "The Dark Knight" in the lead, Heath Ledger really brought anarchy and insanity to a surreal level!

Enough about my favorites, what's yours?

Edited by Haste
  • Like 3

b2ExQd1.png

Not sure about favorite movies, there are just too many to choose from. I think that ones that I can watch a bunch and not tire of would be the Bourne trilogy. I'm not sure what it is but I can watch them over and over.

Books are even harder. My favorite series would be A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) books. Favorite single book may be Ready Player One.

As far as games go, I don't know if I ever really get into the story much. I just play them because I enjoy them. I've yet to play The Last of Us and it does look good.

• Like 2

kQ4fIRp.png

Watchmen, the graphic novel is GOAT material.

The movie was awful.

The stories within the story are what separates it from everything else.

• Like 2

I haven't/don't read fiction books so that's out.

Most movies (mainstream at least), are rather poorly written. While they are sometimes entertaining they certainly lack a good story.

Personally I think the best games are with a good story line..

As for games, I'm 100% with you on the last of us. So far, it's the best and most moving game I have ever played. I completed it on PS3 and now have it on ps4 and am looking forward to doing it again with the extra Elle and friend content.

At first I was very skeptical cause I'm not into this whole zombie fetish but the story works really well with it.

I can't pin point exactly why it is so good, but I guess it's the way it's written and portrayed, and it has a perfect mix of cut scenes vs playing them out which makes you feel as if you are there. They make you feel as if you're in control and just when you think everything is getting better, BAM! Something comes and flips you on your head.

It is written better then most movies and also has a proper and intense gameplay to fully immerse you.

And those clickers still haunt me today. I literally couldn't play it with my headphones as it immersed me too much and I thought I was gonna die haha.

Most other games (like gta, far cry and uncharted series) have a story that works and is entertaining, but looking back, they still feel as though they are missing something. Again, it's hard to put my finger on what exactly makes it stand out but it does.

Another 2 games that I haven't played yet but are meant to be some of the best stories written on PS3 is heavy rain and beyond: two souls.

I have only played a few hours of heavy rain and so far it has been fairly slow and the gameplay is very basic. It's much more a movie than actually playing and controlling a character.

I haven't even opened beyond two souls but I'm hoping it's a bit faster paced and looking forward to them.

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

I haven't/don't read fiction books so that's out.

Most movies (mainstream at least), are rather poorly written. While they are sometimes entertaining they certainly lack a good story.

Personally I think the best games are with a good story line..

As for games, I'm 100% with you on the last of us. So far, it's the best and most moving game I have ever played. I completed it on PS3 and now have it on ps4 and am looking forward to doing it again with the extra Elle and friend content.

At first I was very skeptical cause I'm not into this whole zombie fetish but the story works really well with it.

I can't pin point exactly why it is so good, but I guess it's the way it's written and portrayed, and it has a perfect mix of cut scenes vs playing them out which makes you feel as if you are there. They make you feel as if you're in control and just when you think everything is getting better, BAM! Something comes and flips you on your head.

It is written better then most movies and also has a proper and intense gameplay to fully immerse you.

And those clickers still haunt me today. I literally couldn't play it with my headphones as it immersed me too much and I thought I was gonna die haha.

Most other games (like gta, far cry and uncharted series) have a story that works and is entertaining, but looking back, they still feel as though they are missing something. Again, it's hard to put my finger on what exactly makes it stand out but it does.

Another 2 games that I haven't played yet but are meant to be some of the best stories written on PS3 is heavy rain and beyond: two souls.

I have only played a few hours of heavy rain and so far it has been fairly slow and the gameplay is very basic. It's much more a movie than actually playing and controlling a character.

I haven't even opened beyond two souls but I'm hoping it's a bit faster paced and looking forward to them.

I just have to reply to exactly this Scotty, i totally agree on TLOU aspect, i was mindblown, it's really intense that game. I'm not into the zombie stuff either, but the fact they took the disease out of something that was real (Mushroom infecting ants brains, thus controlling them into mindless zombies) was pretty cool, and yes, the aspect of which the combat intertwines with the story is brutal, and it hits hard. When i think of it, i can't explain TLOU, it has to be experienced.. it's ineffable.

As far as Heavy Rain and Beyond:Two Souls go, i played Heavy Rain back in the day when it came out, it's twists twists twists, loved it, but i don't see myself playing it again, although, Beyond:Two Souls, are for me a game that is top 10 all time.

You should really try Beyond:TS Scotty, you won't regret it!

• Like 1

b2ExQd1.png

Favourite movies have to be... law abiding citizen, con air, godfather pt1 and 2 and once upon a time in america. I can read but ive never been able to get into a book like I can with a movie or a game. Favourite games... at the minute ive been enjoying wolfenstein and ive also been playing god of war ascension again...  oh that GTA game is alright aswell :)

The Last of Us was incredible. A masterpiece like you said. Probably the best story/atmosphere I ever seen in a video game. 

Like you, I think the best games are the ones with a good story. 

I also loved Zelda Ocarina of Time. Amazing story.

• Like 1

I just have to reply to exactly this Scotty, i totally agree on TLOU aspect, i was mindblown, it's really intense that game. I'm not into the zombie stuff either, but the fact they took the disease out of something that was real (Mushroom infecting ants brains, thus controlling them into mindless zombies) was pretty cool, and yes, the aspect of which the combat intertwines with the story is brutal, and it hits hard. When i think of it, i can't explain TLOU, it has to be experienced.. it's ineffable.

As far as Heavy Rain and Beyond:Two Souls go, i played Heavy Rain back in the day when it came out, it's twists twists twists, loved it, but i don't see myself playing it again, although, Beyond:Two Souls, are for me a game that is top 10 all time.

You should really try Beyond:TS Scotty, you won't regret it!

I have only had the PS3 for around 2.5 years and bought a few classic must plays. I'm sure at the time they were master pieces (like infamous) but playing them now they are very outdated :P I fully intend to complete heavy rain when I get a chance, just to follow the story but the gameplay so far wouldn't bring me back.

Again with beyond two souls, I have it still in its original packaging and once I get some time off gta I'm really looking forward to playing it as I've heard many great things :)

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

Favourite movies have to be... law abiding citizen, con air, godfather pt1 and 2 and once upon a time in america. I can read but ive never been able to get into a book like I can with a movie or a game. Favourite games... at the minute ive been enjoying wolfenstein and ive also been playing god of war ascension again...  oh that GTA game is alright aswell :)

I liked Law abiding citizen, maybe a bit too gruesome but i liked it.. I agree on Godfather, that movie is really good...

Ah yes, the God of War collection never fails :)

The Last of Us was incredible. A masterpiece like you said. Probably the best story/atmosphere I ever seen in a video game. 

Like you, I think the best games are the ones with a good story. 

I also loved Zelda Ocarina of Time. Amazing story.

Glad i'm not alone on TLOU...

Yeah they really are, and yes, i cannot get around Ocarina of Time, loved by many.

• Like 1

b2ExQd1.png

Watchmen, the graphic novel is GOAT material.

The movie was awful.

The stories within the story are what separates it from everything else.

Have you seen the ultimate cut of watchmen? They add the tales of the Black Freighter as an animated story as well as expanding on the main story. Can't touch the book in terms of feel though.

• 2 months later...

i will admit i read alot of books used to by them used for cheap threw a website until my wife got tired of me having them all and bought me a nook. as far as books go almost all the ones i read are series and revolve around some kind of assassin or cia type characters if you enjoy these type of books definitely check out the character jack reacher by lee child my favorite series i have read. he is a retired army mp who just travels around the country always getting himself into some kind of trouble by helping civilians out there are i believe 17 books in this series.

i will just list a few more main characters who you can google and get the author and series if you are interested

mitch rapp 

scott harvath

john rain

joe pike

jack noble

gabrielle allon

if anyone has read any of these feel free to comment and if anyone wants any more recommendations let me know

Awesome selections True.. I was so disappointed when I found out Vince Flynn died and would never read another Mitch Rapp book.

Here are a couple other series I read similar to your list.

Cotton Malone by Steve Berry

Painter Crowe - Sigma series by James Rollins

Kingsbridge and Century trilogies by Ken Follett

• Like 1

My favorite story of all time is Ernest Shackleton's attempt at crossing the South Pole from sea to sea in 1914-1917. It's one of the greatest true stories of leadership, courage and endurance of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton There are many books and a few films & documentaries  about Sir Ernest Shackleton.

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe and In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philibrick are also favorite books as is The Right Stuff movie. I watch it about once a year. I'm interested in any stories about the space program from the Mercury astronauts to the Space Shuttle. In the Heart of the Sea is being made into a movie directed by Ron Howard due in Dec 2015. Another one is The Perfect Storm both book and movie.

Games that I liked the story include all of the Uncharted games and Red Dead Redemption.

Awesome selections True.. I was so disappointed when I found out Vince Flynn died and would never read another Mitch Rapp book.

Here are a couple other series I read similar to your list.

Cotton Malone by Steve Berry

Painter Crowe - Sigma series by James Rollins

Kingsbridge and Century trilogies by Ken Follett

Not sure if you know but another author is finishing the book flynn was in the middle of and has agreed i believe to write a few more also. Only question is will he be as good as vince flynn was im definetly gonna give him a shot.

i will have to check out the ones you mentioned after i finish up this pike logan series i started. Another good character is dewey andreas to

I didn't know that, just hope he does the character justice... I would love to see a movie with Mitch Rapp. Although do a better job than Tom cruise as jack reacher, that was ridiculous ! In every book, reacher is 6' 4" and a big man. What's cruise 5' 2"? Sheesh

• Like 1

I didn't know that, just hope he does the character justice... I would love to see a movie with Mitch Rapp. Although do a better job than Tom cruise as jack reacher, that was ridiculous ! In every book, reacher is 6' 4" and a big man. What's cruise 5' 2"? Sheesh

Im just full of good news there is a rapp movie that is supposed to be being made cant remember off top of my head which book it is about though. Couldnt agree with u more about tom cruise as reacher

Looked it up movie is american assassin after the book and sounds like bruce willis was asked to play rapp

Edited by truelife98

I completely forgot about this topic and was going to post something similar up the other day. To combine all the types of stories means there will be a lot but here goes!

Lately I have been really appreciating well written movies and TV series. Most of the movies have been more of an independent type film and there are no famous actors or writers etc but they do a FAR better job then any of the mainstream movies. Quiet sad to think that we constantly get fed such crap through mainstream TV while real talent gets pushed to the side.

I have been getting more into alternate reality stuff I guess you could call it. Its not that I necessarily believe that its true, but I really get into a "what if" mindset and love to be taken on a journey into another dimension where things like this are possible. 

Below are a few things that I highly recommend with a little review (no spoilers). As long as you are open minded, you should immensely enjoy these, but then again we are all different so maybe not :P

Beyond: Two Souls.

I have just completed the main story and want to go back and play a few different DLCs and possible complete parts of the story again (or at least the ending).

It is basically about a girls life who has had another entity attached to her for her whole life. As would most likely happen, people found out and want to study her and use her to understand this alternate universe. You continually play different parts of her life (young girl, then adult and so forth) which all play very well together and keep you guessing and trying to fill in the gaps. It all starts to slowly click together and just blows your mind.

The game play at the start is very slow (a lot of cut scenes) and kind of monotonous (have to do everyday tasks), but just enough that it makes you feel like you are the character and are in control. You always have choices to make from as simple as rolling over in bed to choosing your response to questions asked. The game play turns from very basic to a bit more challenging throughout the story. Because you feel that you are the character, you feel that you are always there. It is very well done and its a shame there arent many more games like this, but it would only appeal to a more specific and mature audience.

In Your Eyes.

I just watched this movie the other day and I loved it! Basically, 2 people have a strange connection across the world (America) and can see through each others eyes. Strange things have always been happening their whole life and now they are finally discovering why.

It also starts to make you think about mental illness in a different way, something that has also always intrigued me. You automatically assume that someone who is talking to them self is crazy, but what if this, or something like beyond:two souls was happening? This movie was just really well written and directed and if you allow it, will take you on an amazing journey into the unknown.

Nikita (new TV series that got axed after 4 seasons with Maggie Q)

This changes the pace a bit from the previous shows, but is extremely well written. It is about a secret organisation of the government (like the secret service but more secret :P) that takes people off the street or on death row (people with no one to care if they go missing) and trains them into an assassin. They are told to carry out whatever orders they are told, usually coming from the top (president or top congressmen) which are strictly off book. These assassinations are usually against innocent people and to either cover up government secrets or to make money for certain people.

The main character grows a conscience and escapes this organisation and wants to take it down. The first season is extremely well written and you will probably end up binge watching to find out what happens. The second season starts out great, but slowly starts to fade away. By this time, you are well and truly hooked and want to watch it anyway. It is still far better then any mainstream story but not as good as it started out. Even though it got cancelled in the fourth season, they still finished it up which is great.

I have a fair few more to write about and i will do it later when i get a chance and you guys have a chance to read this :)

scottyb1988.jpg