STEAL MY IDEAS WOULD YOU?!?!

Pb76

How would you as a creator feel about someone 'copying' a creation you had?

A lot of the stuff I make is a good idea executed poorly (sometimes a bad idea executed poorly), I publish it in the hope that someone plays it and sees the potential, then goes off and makes a better version. I'm not precious about my jobs, they're not copyrighted.

• Like 3

I don't really care to be honest.

There's only so much real estate in Los Santos. There's bound to be overlaps at one point or another and I don't think that's an issue at all. Coincidence is fine. 

For me personally though, I don't like to create jobs in certain locations where I know one already exists (T/DM). Races have more liberty IMO. I don't like stealing thunder. Take Hatch's Springer for example. There's no way to improve it either. That's his own and I respect that. Granted it's a prime location for a TDM so there's countless jobs there no doubt. 

Edited by G37
  • Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

It depends. For deathmatches, if I made one and someone in the crew or a friend copied it (pretty closely) I would be annoyed. I would rather get the feedback to improve it.

If they used the same location and mixed it up a fair bit then that's fine but I guess there needs to be a bit of common sense as to what's copying something or not.

For races, there are so many areas to use that you should be able to make something completely different even if you do utilise the same section of track.

If they copy the general idea (get inspiration from a certain job) and change it to make it their own then that's kind of a compliment which would be cool.

As G said, personally I try to make something different with the hope it stands out and is enjoyable. No point making a lot of stuff that's poorly made or has been done a thousand times..

No matter what you do I'm sure there are several other jobs that are very similar and there is nothing you can do about it. I also do vaguely remember reading that one rockstar verified job was copied from someone else's and cause they were in a bigger crew and had more plays it gained recognition. Now that would suck!

• Like 4

scottyb1988.jpg

It they're jobs created by randoms or R* I could not care less. My Bifta Carting Cup for example is just another version of GUN1T123's kart races (YT guy). That's where I got the idea from to make one. And if some random ever decides to use a job of mine and copy it, so be it. I'll probably never find out anyway.

When it comes to crew and friend created content, the matter is different. Copying someone's work and only making some slight alterations is just lazy. I'd prefer people to give feedback to the creator so that he/she can improve the job.

Making a spin-off or expand on a specific series with newly created jobs or picking up an idea from someone else is no problem IMHO. I consider it a compliment that someone gets the inspiration from one of my jobs and then creates something new out of it.

Overall, it's a matter of common sense, courtesy and giving credit where credit is due, I guess.

Let's also not forget that eventhough it is a big and varied map with lots of opportunities, props, job types etc., overlap is bound to happen. E.g. we've got quite a lot of crew races in the Mirror Park area and a lot of them share the same corners. Yet, every race stands on its own and deserves its spot simply because they're all properly good races.

• Like 4

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

To fair there's probably almost impossible to make any creation without "copying" anyone.

In this crew we are quite lucky we have as many creators as we have and it's a blessing that we have "weird" heads on our team like Lann3fors and PB that can make stuff out of the box.

I reckon I'm trying to stay away from making something that's to similar to other crew members stuff but it's not easy to make something that's no one has done before you.

If I see good ideas that I really like I will sometimes try to use a similar idea in one of my creations but I wouldn't copy it directly.

Take for example Jesse's annihilator in one of his LTS, this idea I borrowed in my Danger High Voltage, that's a quite different LTS, and I also borrowed HC's ide about the fixed Tanks in my Quarantine DM.

If I come up with an good idea I'm just happy if anyone can make use of it and maybe even make it better.

What makes me play this game is the creations from this crew to be honest, if I where only able to play R* content I would probably given up for ages ago.

Se Yeah If I should be so lucky and stumble over some good ideas, DON'T be afraid to use them for what's it worth.

Edited by Ronny
  • Like 2

What surprises me (daily) is when I think everything has already been done, someone in this crew comes up with a totally new and fresh idea and gives us another fun job.

So yes, even at this point, when we've used every square inch of LS and Blaine Country roads, new (and fresh) tracks still keep coming up, good ones too. Same for T/DMs.

As for copying goes, I approve it when you can take someone's idea (location for T/DM, section of a track, use of a prop, etc) and expand on it, give it a new twist and come up with a new job that feels different. That just proves that the original idea was good to begin with and should be taken as a compliment. Entirely copying someone's job and only slightly changing it, that's not right.

• Like 1

Your ideas are quite wacky normally so if a very similar one in the same place appeared think I'd be a bit cheesed off but there's no law against it I'm afraid. Normal run of the mill jobs are bound to be copied, well not copied as such but duplicated. Most people, including myself, create a job from an idea in their head but don't search for similarly created jobs before publishing.

Be flattered if someone copies your jobs, means they're good and the person copying has no brains themselves. We all know an original pb creation, from the warped mind of a great master, they are unique! :D

I know that there are jobs that I have created that have been done before. I dont do this intentionally, it just happens. If I make something that is a copy of someone's job, I would like to know about it. But it happens by accident, for me. 

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

I wouldn't say it's copying, more inspired by a creation. I see something that's cool and think how can I use that in a job. Ronin's location for his Bifta karting race is a great piece of flat tarmac, much better than the docks I was using when I needed a flat area. I've recently just borrowed the racing on a beach idea too.

I don't have an issue with being copied, if you can do it better then by all means.

I have done 1 copy (more or less) with Grenadeball HD which is a copy of Handcuff's Grenadeball, but I did ask him before hand if he was cool with it. He said he was fine with it as he copied it from somebody else :/

I do use others as inspirations though, Onrefne's TPI vs Merryweather was the spark for Battlefield: Hooker

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Shoot. I was free-roaming today and somehow ended driving into an alleyway, got out of my car and explored the area. Full of small alleys, driveways, balconies, rooftops, all you can think of, wondeful location.

I couldn't remember playing a dethmatch here at all, so I launched the creator and made a deathmatch from scratch. Then when looking around for a cool photo (and name) for the job, I noticed an Italian restaurant at one end and another one at the other end and I could swear I have seen two Italian restaurants mentioned in a description of a recent job G made. So I launched the Social club site to check it out and what do you know, same location. :(

Now i have it saved and don't really want to publish it. G's TDMs are usually top notch, so there's really no point of publishing mine. I think we both even picked pretty much similar weapons.

Only difference is G's job is for 8 and mine is for 12 (with intentions of downsizing it if necessary) and could perhaps be used in our 10-12 player PLs.

It was the same thing with the Vespucci canals location. I have already pretty much made a large scale TDM there that could be published once I get a PS4, but later noticed R* already has a 30 player TDM there and Ronny had the same idea and published one in this location too.

And there was no copying / stealing ideas here at all, just a coincidence of us finding the same locations and utilising them. It's bound to happen.
  • Like 2

I started working on a TDM months ago called "Black Friday".  It was at the Chumash shopping center.  A day before I was going to publish it, Ronny published a TDM titled "Black Friday" in the same location.  It was quite funny.  I mentioned to him that I had the exact same idea.  We used some different weapons, but the location/title were exactly the same.  Since Ronny published his first, I deleted mine.  Mine didn't really stack up to Ronny's and figured we didn't need a good TDM and a boring TDM in the same area with the same title.

Copying, to me, means taking the title, location, weaponry, etc... and claiming it as your own.  If someone ripped off Grand Theft Vino (my favorite job ever created), I'd be so pissed.  Making a job in the same area that I've created one in doesn't bother me.  There's only so many areas we can use to create jobs.  I've played enough jobs at the Sandy Shores airstrip, but they are all different in their own unique way.

• Like 2

I wouldn't intentionally copy another job from a DB member.

Previous crews are fair game though and some have inspired parts of my jobs.

• Like 2

LOL Squirrel :D

Same with being R* Verified ... not exactly a benchmark. Wouldn't even want my jobs to be associated with some of the (utter utter) crap that gets this so called quality label oO

It has happened more then once that I thought having a great idea only to find out it had already been done before. And a lot better for that matter ! 

Once started a TDM with the idea of doing something with truckers.  More then halfway through it dawned on me that I was basically recreating Ronny's Truckers and Other F*ckers in the exact same location ... FFS. Eventually that evolved into a capture called Trucker's Delight in a different location. So, that wasn't all that bad.

Recently I was playing with the idea of making some TDM's based on some RL historical battles and thought about introducing tanks as fixed artillery. Just found out this very morning that artillery pieces had already been done twice -.- Same with making a TDM on one of the bigger islands ...

Also thought about making a football game with Panto's and stuff and all of a sudden ... there was Squirrel :D

Trying to avoid duplication is not easy and maybe even impossible to a certain degree.  On the other hand it pushes the barrier and makes you think twice before jumping in.

Goes to show the quality of this crew, really...

• Like 2

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg