English vs English

JustHatched

Even though you guys continue to spell words incorrectly - I suppose I will attend.

Last time it was colours and this time it's labour.

:P.

lol, my spell check says it's right.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Awhile back on the Invision forums there was somebody looking for a non American language pack for his forum, but rather a UK English one. I couldn't figure out why at that time since both are English, I now know why. They were tired of the spell check over there saying it was wrong.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Way off topic, but a trivia question for you DC, do you know why America does it different?

I am going to split this into it own topic in a few

Answer - After the American Revolution our leaders wanted to break from England in every regard, in doing so they altered the English language as to not be following the Kings/Queens English.

• Like 1

I can understand the reasoning behind it to a certain extent but I'm amazed how one dude in that 'meeting' didn't stand up and explain that it will make things awkward in a few hundred years time.

Changing, adding or removing a single letter from the English language and calling it another language sounds like the work of a mad-man  :lol:.

• Like 4

I can understand the reasoning behind it to a certain extent but I'm amazed how one dude in that 'meeting' didn't stand up and explain that it will make things awkward in a few hundred years time.

Changing, adding or removing a single letter from the English language and calling it another language sounds like the work of a mad-man  :lol:.

I think just defined America. Glad to have you back.

• Like 3

Dodgeservice.png

Next topic: why can't us Americans be like the rest of the world and use the Metric System?

Oh wait. Because we have to be different.

• Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I think Canadians use a more English style......colour, labour, etc. I have an English buddy living with us and we have a laugh about the differences.

The only thing I hate and mix up all the time is football transfers where they use the American dollar, British pound, and Euro which all three value differently. I think I finally get it because of all the news hopping I do every morning, but it took a while.

alchemist3321.jpg

Next topic: why can't us Americans be like the rest of the world and use the Metric System?

Oh wait. Because we have to be different.

We Brits generally aren't metric either.. We drive miles, drink pints, buy petrol in gallons and weigh ourselves in stones and ounces.
  • Like 1

I'm metricish. I drink pints, buy petrol in litres and weigh myself in kilos.

But I drive miles.

And cycle kilometres.

I'm confused.

Edited by shortround669
  • Like 1

Canada is mostly metric - give it a couple more generations and it'll be total conversion.  I think It'll be the same in the UK once the posted speed limits are shifted to KpH - petrol (gasoline to the north american contingent) is already priced by the litre as far as I recall.  Having said that, I'd imagine "the Pint" will be around forever.  And that's the imperial pint, not the shortchanged pint the 'muricans use.   I've spent enough time drinking on the continent to realise that while a litre glass of beer looks great in the photo's, it's not that 'comfortable' for extended drinking sessions.

Interestingly, the US was one of the first signatories on the metrication treaty (Paris, 1875), and is now the only country in the world to not use it.  Yet.  Unless you count the growing popularity of 9mm ammunition.

• Like 1

Personally I prefer not using metric. I know it's easier and I have a full grasp of it.