Living a dream Sunday

JustHatched

wow that must've been one hell of an experience. I've only been on a plane twice and I'd definitely enjoy getting in something like that. How many times did you think about taking control of the gunners seat? lol

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JustHatched

• rumdig

• newyork-nightmare

• bullittblitz

I was in every spot in the plane except the tail gunner and ball turret positions, no one allowed in them

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Seen on the local news that the EAA requested the B17 be put in a hanger for the hail storm but the local airline wouldn't make room for it. Guess we won't be seeing it around here again if that is the treatment they get for a historic plane.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

• 1 year later...

It's bit off (Aug 8-10) but I will be seeing another B-17 called the "Nine O Nine", it will be in Layfayette Indiana along with a B-24, a B-25 and a P51C. http://www.collingsfoundation.org/aircrafts/boeing-b-17g-flying-fortress/

I probably won't be going for a ride this time, although if funding is right I may but not sure which plane, the 17 is my fav but since I have flown in Aluminum Overcast I may consider the B-24, can't afford a P51 flight at $2200 for an hour, if I had that kind of cash to never see again I would but...

• Like 2

You're very lucky to get the opportunity to take a ride in those old classics. For years in the UK we've only had 1 airworthy Lancaster bomber although I do believe they have recently managed to get another one restored to flight status. I don't see them offering rides at any kind of price. They are just too valuable to risk in anything more than ceremonial fly by's.

4 hours ago, Squirrel said:

You're very lucky to get the opportunity to take a ride in those old classics. For years in the UK we've only had 1 airworthy Lancaster bomber although I do believe they have recently managed to get another one restored to flight status. I don't see them offering rides at any kind of price. They are just too valuable to risk in anything more than ceremonial fly by's.

Nice one Hatched!

One can go for a taxi ride in the Lancaster and there are places that offer a fly in a 2 seater Spitfire. I'm thinking of treating my dad  for the Lancaster ride. 

4 hours ago, Squirrel said:

That's to bad the opportunity to ride in one isn't there, even if it would be just for ww2 veterans. There is a few Lancasters around the world, only 2 are currently air worthy, 1 in the UK and 1 in Canada but a few others are under restoration. The Lancaster in UK tours with a Spitfire and a Hurricane (I would love to see all 3), and from what I read they are government funded. All the B17's (10 flying in the world) and anyother ww2 aircraft in the USA are privately owned by either a single person or a foundation/museum of sorts and it's a trade off, they fly but to get the money to fly them they offer rides in them, veterans get a discount. That's why it is pricey, bomber flights range from $400 to $600 for half hour. Fighter flights are much more. 

It is amazing to see pics of the planes before they were restored, some should have been scrapped, others were massively modified after the war and alot of work had to be done to get them back to combat condition, and most of the 17's have crashed and been restored only to have crashed again in the last 20 years or so and fixed yet again.

The one I rode in crashed a few years before I first seen it 

b17belly.jpg

The one I will see this year had a major crash a few years ago

909_Crash.jpg

The first B17 I seen was destroyed several years ago in Northen Illinois in an emergency landing in a field. I walked thru this plane about 2 weeks before the fire.

Liberty-Belle-fire.jpg?itok=f7U1565A

But to give an idea of the condition of some of these planes before they were restored, this one is The Swamp Ghost, it is under restoration now and this is what it use to look like after it crashed and sat for several decades.

swamp-ghost-2006-png_zps148a1001.jpg

• Like 2