What is this?

Lann

I don't think it's a horse-chestnut, they have leaves in multiple parts and the spikes on the conker outsides are shorter and sharper. It's probably some other sort of chesnut. Maybe the edible version but I wouldn't want to say for sure they are safe to eat.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, djw180 said:

It's not a horse-chestnut, they have leaves in multiple parts and the spikes on the conker outsides are shorter and sharper. It's probably some other sort of chesnut. Maybe the edible version but I wouldn't want to say for sure they are safe to eat.

Any kind of Chestnut tree is a win for me since I know nothing about trees, but I now notice that the leaves are different.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

That Castanea sativa is the chestnut tree, and those leaves are very different from the ones you posted in the OP.

Quite funny the things we learn every day. Chestnut in Portuguese (a latin language) is called "castanha", which is the same word for the colour brown. I always assumed the nut had that name because it was brown. Now, from reading that article you posted, I realised it's the other way around. Castanea was always the name of the nut in latin, and it's the nut that named the colour in our language. Excellent. Now what do I do with this knowledge?

Edited by Arruda

18 minutes ago, TheBoyBry said:

Beech tree I think

I think you are right,  looking at pictures on the Web i am quite sure thats it. Rather common here. 

Thanks. 

I got another one if anyone wants to take a guess, or even know. 

During the ww2 alot of things stranded on the beach near by. Many of the old house still have these things they found in their gardens. Some rather large and with a look that implies a purpose of war.

We have this hanging in our garden.  

What is it?

7VY24oY.jpg

Edited by Lann

It looks like it a float, the sort of thing a fishing boat might have attached to the top of it's nets to keep them in place at the right depth. So as it's from WW2 maybe from a torpedo net or some sort of anti-submarine net (if there were such things)?

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, djw180 said:

It looks like it a float, the sort of thing a fishing boat might have attached to the top of it's nets to keep them in place at the right depth. So as it's from WW2 maybe from a torpedo net or some sort of anti-submarine net (if there were such things)?

I beleive you are right. Found this on Ebay:

Vintage Metal C1910, 7" Fishing Buoy ~ WW1 Era ~ Deep Sea Trawler Net Float.

mS8s-yD5XmM7mcYCUktPTcw.jpg