Jalj's Not-In-Order-Always-Changing Top 10 - Bimonthly List #2: Hit Songs of the 2000's Part 1!

RSCnet

Jalj's Not-In-Order-Always-Changing Top 10

List Number 1:

Songs of the 2000's!

Welcome to Jalj's Not-in-order-always-changing-top-10! I figured i can't be calling myself the so called resident list maker while not actively making list for everyone to see. So heres how this is going to work, Im going to post my favorite things in a list of top 10 and while the list will be numbered from 1 to 10, unless specified, the lists will not be in order. Sure I could just list them in order from my favorite to least but my purpose of these list is to list "the top 10" as opposed ranking them. To be honest too, I don't feel like choosing which is best over another, its hard enough choosing just 10 things :D. That is another thing, this is MY TOP 10, i know i might put things on here that others will not agree but as human beings are we not entitled to have opinions different from others? Thats where the real fun is!
I will add a brief description to the things I list as well as why i think they deserve to be in my top 10 and I ask those who read my blog to add their own top 10 because i am very interested in seeing what you guys have to say! Thats the "always changing part" Before I get started though Id like to thank to all those who read my first post and left comments, its nice to know my effort is at being seen! So lets get started with:

Top 10 Hit Songs of the 2000's Part 1

The 2000's were a confusing time for everyone. We were now in a new millennia, something no one could prepare us for, heck some people even considered the possibility the world would end come New Years 2000. Cell phones, the internet, things that would one day dominate our daily lives were still in their infancy. The times had definitely changed from the 90's and the bands that once were a hit, were no more. So who would dominate the airwaves? Our music videos? Our new mp3 players and ipods? Well alot of bands did and being a teenager during this decade, put me in the best place to judge these bands as a young sort of hip teenager. Nu Metal was by far my favorite genre but even i found myself singing some of the pop and alternative hits.

It was an interesting time for all genres of music and we have quite a vast library of music to look at. I wanted to make a list of the Top 10 songs of the 2000's but theres no way I could pick 10 without feeling like i left out songs so Ive decided to slowly work towards that goal by making a few other list to help me remember some of these songs and with an educated idea, make an ultimate top 10 list of songs from the 2000's. For the purpose of the list I will PRIMARILY be looking at HIT songs that were singles or commercially released that charted at either a national level or international level and was able to stay there enough for the artist to be specifically remembered for that song. There are so many underrated songs that theres no way I could fit all of them in a top 10 so Ive made this PART 1 of 2! This list will have songs from 2000-2005 and the other list will cover 2006-2010. . So, i present to you...my top 10, part 1!

1. TIE! Stan/The Real Slim Shady-Eminem (2000)
For the first time ever I have a tie! I looked at both songs and darn it, I cant pick one over the other. Both songs come from the Marshall Mathers LP released in May 2000 and both were very important for Eminem's career. Eminem broke ground with his Slim Shady LP and upped the ante with this album and his single The Real Slim Shady. Parents were outraged all over and thats how you know a song is good. Eminem was accused of many things for his portrayal of different social groups but to the fans, they didn't hear that but instead someone speaking their mind, something quite refreshing from the same o'l recycled pop music. Eminem was of course, as popular as he was hated but he was able to change some of those minds when his second single from the same album, Stan, was released. Even more impactful was his performance at the Grammys with Sir Elton John. At the end of the song, they both embraced and the rest is history. Whether you like Eminem for his raunchy side or his deep and emotional tracks, you have to admit that you either like Stan, Slim Shady or both songs.

2. Crazy In Love-Beyonce (2003)
Im not one to deny Queen B her crown and if anything Im going to sit here and tell you how awesome she is. After leaving Destiny's Child, no one was sure if she could survive on her own and not just as "Jay Z's girlfriend". With one single song of her album "Dangerously in Love", Beyonce shut up all the critics and claimed her crown as the Queen of Pop. A departure from her earlier work, people were blown away by the solid beat, perfect samples, alluring lyrics and great production values. Year after year, she had upped the ante and it all started with this song. Theres a reason Beyonce commands more power in the entertainment industry than her husband. With a great hook, a great lyrical performance and her bf on there for safe measure, this is the song many consider the first megahit of the decade. It also won a bunch of grammys, so you know it has to be good :D

3. Seven Nation Army-The White Stripes (2003)
Ripped straight from the Rolling Stones review of this album, "Meg and Jack were getting warmed up..." Getting warmed up indeed, the White Stripes had established themselves as a good alternative/garage rock band way before the album "Elephant" came out, but it didn't take too long for people to hear Seven Nation army and hum along to it to vault the duo into superstardom. Easily one of the most recognizable song on this list, this song can be heard in movies, tv, video games and even sporting events. Its only a few notes being played and most critics would say "i could of written that" yet they didn't and thats why the White stripes are on this list and they aren't. Jack White has gone to from a very successful career for himself in the aftermath of this bands demise and Im sure he's still collecting those checks for this song.

4. Jesus Walks-Kanye West (2003)
First let me say something, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK FUCKKITY FUCK KANYE WEST. Now that i got out of the way, i can give him an honest review :D So Kanye West was already a grammy nominated producer for artist like Jay Z before he ever got in front of a microphone, and he almost didn't make it to see his work released. Kanye had been in an accident that left him with a broken jaw in three places, yet he was not only able to release his album but rap on it with his mouth still wired shut. His skills were undeniable and his desire to be successful was too much for everyone and he set his mark with this single and its album "The College Dropout". Kanye established a unique style and has producers copying his signature sound to this day. Say what you want to say about Kanye and how he's the worlds biggest asshole but his skills are undeniable and he is only as famous as he is because he had the talent in the first place.

5. 99 Problems-Jay Z (2004)
Sometimes retiring can be a good thing. In the case of Jay Z who had announced his plans prior to the release this album, it was more than enough of a push to release what many consider his best album "The black album". There are plenty of songs on this album you could put on this list but its this Rick Rubin production that is often considered Jay Z's best. With a hard rock attitude over dry spell binding lyrics, everyone knows Jay Z has 99 problems and Beyonce ain't one. OOPS.

6. One More time-Daft Punk (2000)
Who knew that disco was alive? Daft Punk went from group of vinyl collectors to mega superstars with the release of their mega hit album "Discovery". They got everyone to dance to their hits and most importantly they got everyone to look at electronica music in a whole different light. The frenchmen would go on making hit after hit and are relevant today as they have ever been. It was impossible for me to pick one song from this album that made up a large part of my childhood (plus the movie Interstella 5555 was pretty awesome too) and I personally like all the other less popular songs such as Aerodynamic, Voyager, Face to Face, Crescendolls etc etc... point is I could list the entire track listings but since Im picking the "commercially successful" song I have to go with One more time which was the landmark song on the album and the one song that got everyone into the music of the future.

7. Clint Eastwood-Gorillaz (2001)
While the Gorillaz best effort in my eyes remains Demon Days (2005) Clint Eastwood of their self titled album "Gorillaz" remains their most popular song and its not hard to see why. Simple melody, a simple instrumental and a young Deltron rapping an effortless rhythm, you have all the making for an international hit. A "fake" group that relied on the duo of Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett and an up and coming producer Dan the Automator, laid the foundation for what not only their music would sound but the sound of an entire genre. Often imitated but never duplicated, the Gorillaz continue to be unique in a crazy world. I remember when i knew this song was a hit when one of my spanish speaking cousins who "didn't" like english music was humming to it while it played on the radio. This is a song that continues to grab audiences, year after year and long after they disappear from the public view, we will still know this song.

8. Take Me Out-Franz Ferdinand (2003)
Once again, I personally would of picked songs like Michael or This Fire but chart positions don't lie, Take me out, off the bands self titled album Franz Ferdinand charted nearly everywhere it was played, peaking in the top 5 in the UK and North America. The band was part of a new wave of alternative rock music that would usher many bands into the fold, but of course there is only Franz Ferdinand. ThIs song and album are considered "modern classics" and you can find it on any "Top" or "Best" of list, including this one. Once again, there are many bands like Franz Ferdinand but only they have the accolades.

9. Hurt- Johnny Cash (2002)
Johnny Cash (RIP) was already 70 years old when he made this cover of an already great Nine Inch Nails song for his album "American IV: The Man Comes Around". Johnny's fame was cemented and he didn't have anything to prove, he already had a large number of hits and he could of sank into obscurity in the twilight of his career. Yet he got with Rick Rubin and released this powerhouse of a song. Armed only with a guitar, 5 chords and a piano for the chorus, Johnny Cash took a song and made it his own. His pain, his anger, his weakness, it all comes out in this song and its performance. Johnny Cash may be gone, but his legacy is protected by his unique ability to lend us a look into his heart and soul. Better than the original without trying to be, Johnny Cash delivered on this, his swan song.

10. Beautiful Day-U2 (2002)
Another group from the past makes it way into the new millennia. U2 was already quite the established group but never wanting to put the instruments down, this Irish band saw their popularity surge once again when they released this beautiful song of the album "All That You Cant Leave Behind". Considered their biggest hit, that means a lot to a band who already had so many hits. Critics and fans alike love this song so much that they not only swept at the Grammys but they continue to play this song at all their concerts. U2 is one of the biggest selling bands of all time and you better believe this song had something to do with that.

View the full article