RO9M's Blog - Beer Of The Week LN-MLB Special (Week 35)

RSCnet

Brewed By: Guinness

Name: Kilkenny

Style: Irish Red Ale

ABV: 4,3%

Score 0-6: 5.0

First impression:

Yeah what can I say, I've probable been drinking this one to many years to be objective on the first impression, bet let's have it a go.

The can in it self isn't to impressive, but when you pore it you'll see the fantastic brown/red'ish colour with a creamy foam on top.

Smell:

The smell is sweet and good.

Taste:

First taste is the creamy white foam with a hint of caramel, the beer it self is sweet with a hint of caramel, hops and roasted malt.

There's almost non bitterness at all, and just a hint of carbonation, just sweet and easy to drink, absolutely one of my favourite beers.

I would absolutely recommend this beer to someone who haven't tasted it :)

Beer Drinker Of The Month

I've promised you a Beer Drinker of the month each month and this month I'm proud to present LN-MLB our new commissioner in the crew :)

This time we are travelling to Canada to meet up with an Canadian with Swedish/Finish blood in his veins.

This is one of the nicest and most polite people in the Crew, He might shoot you at first sight though :o

A warm welcome to the One and Only LN-MLB

What's you all time favourite beer?

This is a tough choice, as I'm a Pacific Northwesterner, and we literally have more microbreweries than any other region on the continent.

I've tried so many during my life that I can't remember half their names.

My favorite place to have beer is at a place called Cascade Brewing Barrel House.

Their main focus is sour beer, and the rotations seem to change quite often.

However, none of them disappoint, and it's a nice alternative to darker beers.

Though it would be impossible to name a single favorite, one of my favorite beers that is widely available to some degree is Young's Double Chocolate Stout from the UK. It is a very dark stout with a nice hint of chocolate flavor and just the right amount of bitterness.

What makes this beer so special and how did you come past it?

I've always been a dark beer guy, and I suppose I tried this for the first time about ten or eleven years ago. I've always been about trying as many new types of beer as possible, and I suppose you could say this was sort of my introduction into really dark beer. It brings back great memories, and I look at it as setting the standard for stouts.

If you could change one thing about your favourite beer what would it be?

To make it less expensive to purchase.

It generally runs about $5 per bottle here, and a lot more if you happen to find it at a restaurant. As far as the beer itself goes, there is nothing that I would change. It's remained consistent since I've been drinking it, and I always find myself going back to it on a regular basis.

People always ask what do you like to drink with your favourite food, that's why I ask what do you like to eat with your favourite beer?

Steak or a nice plate of salmon. We eat a lot of salmon in this part of the world, and I find that porters and stouts compliment them very well.

If it's a sporting event or something along those lines, there is nothing better than hamburgers or hotdogs and a few rounds of beer.

What's the coolest or funniest bottle of beer you ever seen?

A couple of years ago, one of our local breweries called Rogue marketed a beer called Voodoo Doughnut Ale.

While the bottle label itself wasn't that funny, the color of the beer is what caught my eye.

The beer inside was not of traditional coloring, and was instead a very solid pink liquid that looked like stomach medication.

It was supposed to contain chocolate, peanut butter, and banana, but I honestly never dared to try it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I believe this is it, And I understand LN's scepticism

Did it taste as good as it looks?

I have no idea, I wasn't that brave and I'm allergic to peanuts, so I didn't want to risk it. I can't see myself drinking pink beer though. :P

Lets say you just got your own world known Brewery, what would be it's Name?

Tough question; there's so many around here with something, something Cascade or something something Northwest, so I'd perhaps go a different route. Perhaps something based on my own name.

With a world known Brewery there will also come a world known beer, what would be the Beer's name, what type of beer would it be and what would be the special ingredient?

I'd have to think of a name, but I would definitely go for a Porter or Stout.

Special ingredient--anything with cherry or chocolate works well, but I'd like to try salmon.

I think there have been a few attempts at making beer with sort of a salmonish flavor, but I honestly don't remember trying them.

This may not work well at all though, so that would just be an experiment.

And last but not least, In Norway we say SKÅL, I would dare to say the international word for it is CHEERS, do you have any other words for it beside Cheers in your country?

It depends on where you are in the country, but I have used SKÅL myself as I'm from a Swedish-Finnish family. Cheers is definitely heard most frequently, but I do find others using SKÅL as well from time to time.

Thanks LN for your time, and I would really Love to take a Beer with you some time in the future, Cheers Mate, Or SKÅL as we say in Scandinavia :)

View the full article

• Like 2