Deathmatch spawn points placement

vishesh_91

When creating a 16 player DM/TDM the creator asks to set up at least 32 spawn points.

Now while placing these spawn points I tried to make sure that they're not close to each other so that there's no 'surprise mothafucka' moment and someone just spawns next to you and kills you when they have the 1-2 second invincibility advantage.

The problem is that the creator forces us to place all 32 spawn points and I fear they all might be too close.

On what basis does the game determine which spawn point will be used?Like say SP 16 is the closest to where my opponent is,will I spawn over there or SP 25 which is far away from the action?And is it programmed in a way to make sure opponents don't spawn right next to each other?

• Like 1

I'd much rather HC answered this and opened up the discussion as he'd have far more insight than me.

Shit, I could probably use a crash course in placement myself.

You can also fool the creator so you can place them closer together.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Basically the computer seems to respawn you away from the majority of the live enemies.

Now when this determination is made is anybody's guess, a lot can happen between the moment you are killed to the moment the respawn timer expires, especially in small maps. It is inevitable that now and again someone will spawn right next to an enemy, especially in small maps.

i dont worry about tplacing spawn points too close together, especially when placing 32, because at the most you are ever going to use 4 to 6 at any given moment.

What I try to do is make sure that they are not out in the open so that when the red blip flashes on the radar, the enemy cant just press L2 and lock on immediately. I try to give them some cover or put them somewhat out of the way. I have a few smaller maps with a few spawn points in the middle of the map simply because I ran out of room for 32, but it is ok because they never get used since all the action is centered on the map and the computer sends players to respawn out around the sides further away....so that is a trick you can use sometimes in small-to-medium size maps, but if the map doesnt focus the fighting in the area where those spawns are then you will hear endless griping about your shitty spawn placement :)

• Like 4

handcuff_charlie.jpg

You can also try this if you really need to.....

http://youtu.be/zajYmopW87g

This is how I "fixed" Flying Fists of Fury and Police Academy. Although I went ahead and made an entirely new version of each just in case it gets fixed or patched out somehow.

Be careful when "glitch dropping" though. You really can't see where exactly it is going to end up and you have to set the pointer in the proper direction before switching camera-views. Once you are in character-view, I recommend rotating the viewpoint as high/vertical as possible so that you know the marker is right on your character's feet. i read that if you glitch-drop a respawn point and it overlaps a structure/wall or similar that when a player is respawned using that point it sends them into the black-hole free-fall through the terrain. Glitch drops are final, no editing. So if you are doing a lot of them and you screw one up, you have to delete all your spawn points and start over.

Edited by handcuff_charlie

handcuff_charlie.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yeah, like you said the only thing I really dislike about that method is that the spawns are tough as hell to see. It helps if you pre-set the map to night time but the markers are still faint.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines