Talk about a find!

JusTokenII

So I helped someone move out recently, and they gave me a little organizer that was used for small electronics. It still had hundreds of potentiometers and resistors in it. It also had a curious looking 64 pin integrated circuit with a large heatsink attached to it. I didn't think anything of it and put the organizer with the rest of my electronics goodies.

Well today my curiosity got the best of me, so I went out and grabbed the IC with the heatsink on it and removed the heatsink to find a part number and manufacturer on the chip. TRW TDC1010J. 64 gold plated pins in a ceramic package. Did some research on it, turns out to be one of the chips used in original Doppler technology. Used in the Military and in Avionics, an accumulator/multiplier. Interesting, we used some stuff like this in electronics engineering, but the ICs we were using were much smaller. In 1984, CERN used these ICs studying high energy physics.

So I am thinking to myself, this chip has an interesting history behind it, so I dig a little deeper to find this exact chip for sale on a server parts site for $450!

Even further, they are listed on Ebay for $250-350!

What a freebie! lol.

I know we have a couple of crew members who deal with electronics and I was wondering if any of you have heard about/dealt with these chips?

Here is an ebay link to an auction for one of these ICs,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDC1010J-TRW-Collectible-New-Gold-Ceramic-DIP-IC-RARE-/390122512371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad51d1ff3

sounds cool man. Nice find. Reminds me of when I found an old tobacco baseball card in lot of books I bought at an auction to sell online. 

• Like 1

"You have enemies? good, that means you stood up for something in your life"

newyorknightmar3.jpg

i mostly deal various PC parts and sometimes small electronics and i have never stumble on that kind of IC before..

• Like 1

I looked it up, its an interesting chip. It is a relatively large chip for its function, kinda odd.

Sweet find man. SELL :lol:

• Like 1

I was flabberghasted when I saw the prices on it, I myself havent come across a chip this large as well. Biggest chip I have is the ECU chip I have in the aftermarket ECM I put in my car, and thats half the size as this one. It is a curiously large chip, though it is older tech. It can take 2 16bit values and return them with a 32 bit sum in 255nanoseconds! Thats pretty powerful for what it is. None the less its a nice find, and a piece of electronics history for sure. Though it was hard to come across information on it; in fact most of the info I found was scanned into a computer from actual paperwork.

I remember making 7 segment displays run through a random or preprogrammed set of values, even counting above 10 on a single 7seg display and that took 5 ICs if I remember correctly and a crapload of jumper wires, lol. I still use my protoboard on occasion building useful 555 timer circuits, which comes in extremely handy for test building add-on circuits to my ECM in the car. Currently I am running a GM HEI ignition mod to fire spark in my car, also have a circuit to absorb flyback voltage for my intercooler fan relay, and launch control/antilag for building boost without brake boosting. The antilag is awesome when I'm running open downpipe, it shoots flames when its on. I will have to get a video and post it up when I am done tuning.

Only downside to the antilag, being its cutting spark I can only use it without the muffler, cause the muffler will turn into a bomb with all the unburnt fuel :/

Anyways, I'm going to list it on ebay for about $200, thats cheaper than the rest of the auctions for the same chip and it was free so its all profit if it sells, which I am hoping it will. Much needed gas money for pounding pavement to find some work. And maybe, just maybe some crappy American beer, lol.

Lol. Seven segment displays were fun to build. I always enjoyed clocks, binary was interesting. I haven't messed with that stuff in 10 years... just might have to dig out my old trainer board and build a few circuits.