Are you open about playing video games?

omarcomin71

I saw this t-shirt online and thought it would be fitting for a few of us.

https://teespring.com/ftrs2060?var=ad1

Who out there is quiet about being a "gamer" (I've always hated that term) and who advertises the fact they play?

Some of us, especially the older we get ( I'm 44), my be quiet or even ashamed that they play video games.

Not me, I'm loud and proud! (about playing video games :D)

• Like 6

I'm not ashamed, fuck anyone who thinks down on me for being a gamer. I take care of my family and life first and gaming is my social life cuz most IRL people suck.

• Like 14

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I am so proud as well!! People usually make fun of me for spending to much time playing but I don't give a damn about their opinion.

I would rock that t shirt for sure!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hatch said:

I'm not ashamed, fuck anyone who thinks down on me for being a gamer. I take care of my family and life first and gaming is my social life cuz most IRL people suck.

This +1

I am not ashamed of who I am. My father still tells the story to this day, about how I took apart my original NES to fix it when I was only 7 years old. Yes, I was successful. I went to college for c/c++ programming, and am looking to go to full sail next fall to further my gaming knowledge and get a degree. 

I have no problems telling people I am a gamer, and I also agree that IRL people suck! Just as it is hard to find a good crew in GTA, it is hard to find a good group of friends IRL. I decided I was done with all that. I moved to Indiana almost 4 years ago. (This July 4th will be four years) I have not gone out of my way to meet new people since. 

• Like 5

I have never been ashamed because of what others think.  But sometimes I shame myself.  For example when it is 75 degrees and sunny on a Saturday and I (who live a quarter mile from one of the most beautiful public parks in the country) spend the whole day playing playing rockets versus insurgents.  But fuck what others think.  Only what you think matters.

Edited by pete_95973
  • Like 7

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

Friends - yes, but a bit tuned down not to seem so damn addicted. :D

Extended family - "racing games sometimes"  if brought up.

At work - no, would be judged and it would not benefit me or the company. 

People tend to be closeminded and quick to judge.  I don't talk much, and its rarely a subject of discussion.

Ashamed? never! 

Edited by Lann
  • Like 3

I'm not very social in the "real world", but everyone who knows me knows that I'm a gamer.  I've been playing my entire life (since Atari 2600) and I have no interest in ever stopping.  Do I care what others think?  Absolutely not--I learned a long time ago that you need to do the things that make you happy and if people hold judgement against you for things like this, they have no place in your life.  The older I get, the less I care about what people actually think about me.  If they don't like how I am, fuck 'em! :D

Besides, I've met much cooler people in the online world compared to the real world as it is.

• Like 5

I'm really open about it. I've met quite a few people i have gamed with (i think around 22 people). Some i still communicate with from time to time :)

• Like 1

I'm not ashamed but I don't talk about it.

The subject comes up with my family very often and I talk about it without second thought.

But none of my friends play video games. My girlfriend thinks I spend too much time on the console/PC/tablet/phone but I don't care :D

At work, I don't talk about it because my coworkers would definitely judge (asshats :D)

• Like 2

Don't get care what people say, gaming is like a hobby. Plus it's a shirt, I can add that to my museum of shirts (If I want).

• Like 2

A quadratic function can be written in vertex form:

f(x) = a( x-h )^2 + k          *^2 means squared*

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

Not ashamed to play games at all. Being 41, I grew up with the damn things. Don't give a damn what anyone thinks about what I do. Judge away assholes. 

I don't really use the term Gamer for myself as I don't really play enough of them for that tag. I play a handful of things. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this video that I thought was pretty cool, I only dislike the fact that it is an Xbox 360 video but the idea is video games in general. 

It touched me in a good way :)

• Like 7

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

Everyone who knows me will know that I'm a huge gamer and have been for nearly 20 years.

I have a few friends who seem to hide it from their other friends and colleagues, I guess I can understand why, but if someone generated a poor opinion of you just because you play games then that says a lot about them as a person.

To be honest, I'm not the kinda guy who gives a shit about what others think.

A lot of people grew up around gaming, so it's natural for that to continue. The people who think of gamers in a different (and often negative) light are quite ignorant.

Gamers are typically known as anti-social people with zero friends, and that couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Beez said:

Damn you @grjkie: CRY :

I felt the same Beez. I get the chills whenever I see the video...

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

• 4 years later...
On 4/21/2016 at 9:03 PM, Skorpion said:

I don't care at all who knows that I enjoy playing video games. I talk to family, friends, and co-workers about games a fair bit and don't give it a second thought.

5 years on from this post and @Con reacted to it. I had actually forgotten about it.

I dont talk about gaming much anymore. No reason really, but I guess the difference is just the people I'm around now compared to back when I first posted. I spoke to a younger coworker recently about gaming and when I mentioned GTA he seemed to have a bit to talk about, but otherwise it just doesn't seem to come up anymore.

I know this is an old thread, but things change over time. Does anyone else find they talk more or less about gaming now than they did before, or maybe nothings changed?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skorpion said:

5 years on from this post and @Con reacted to it. I had actually forgotten about it.

I dont talk about gaming much anymore. No reason really, but I guess the difference is just the people I'm around now compared to back when I first posted. I spoke to a younger coworker recently about gaming and when I mentioned GTA he seemed to have a bit to talk about, but otherwise it just doesn't seem to come up anymore.

I know this is an old thread, but things change over time. Does anyone else find they talk more or less about gaming now than they did before, or maybe nothings changed?

I started console gaming realtively late. Did a lot of pc gaming when I was young. After my teens that became less and less. Only when my kids were around 5 years old I bought a PS4 "for them" 🙂.
That was about 5 years ago. Now I'm hooked and I do talk a lot about it. I know @PretendWereDeadpersonally so we talk about it regularly. I have a few colleagues who like to game so there I can talk about gaming a lot. It is also a very nice way to keep in touch while we are all still working from home. 
With other people I am very open about the fact that I (still) game but I don't go in that much detail when I notice they don't have a lot of interest (read: when they are boring 😉 ) . I am definetly not ashamed of it. It's a part of me. I am also very open about the fact that I am part of a crew. I want people to understand how this enriches the gaming and adds a lot of social aspects. 

In short: I play videogames, everybody can and will hear that at some point, and you guys and girls are great. End of message.... 🙂 

On 4/21/2016 at 11:19 AM, grjkie said:

I just saw this video that I thought was pretty cool, I only dislike the fact that it is an Xbox 360 video but the idea is video games in general. 

It touched me in a good way :)

Love this by the way!

• Like 1

I'm not ashamed at all but I don't speak about video games very often. It happens most when I'm around younger folks. And most of the time, people talk to me about it because they know I like it. It's not me talking about it to other people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skorpion said:

Yeah, same here. Talk about it less, put it down to the fact that I'm getting older.

• Like 1

The company I work for has a PS4 in the common room along with a pool table & table football; not that any of us are in the office at the moment or anytime soon. So no stigma attached to be being a gamer, but I guess that's IT for you.  However one of the younger members of the team I'm in did tell me I didn't look like the sort of person who is into gaming, by which I think he meant I look too old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't talk to many people about it, but I'm also not much of a gamer outside of gta and a couple other games throughout the past few years. I definitely used to get all my nasty personality stuff out on randoms in gta. I'm Tony Robbins at work and Tony Montana in gta. I can only imagine how some customers would react. I don't talk gaming with gamer customers because they always want to show me the games they're into.

• Like 2

I’m still open about my gaming. Especially more than ever because more people are gaming and I’m from the Atari generation. We waited all of our f*cking lives to see the graphics and immersion we have today. 

• Like 2

As long as the neighbor kid next door dont know i'm good. hahaha I already foresee this kid pestering me, the kid might as well gets the Jehova's Witnesses uniform, a Bible & a black umbrella to wait day & night outside in attemps to get a chance to play. Shot out to the guy that slapped a wireless router sticker over the PS5 logo on his console & have someone come to the home to install it, your an absolute legend.

Edited by Smurf
  • Haha 2