PS4 Wireless Headset Options

The PS4 itself does not currently have drivers to accommodate a pairing between a Wireless Headset and its self.

It uses bluetooth 2.1 EDR  (meaning its a secured an Enhanced Data Rate when pairing). The USB, Digital Optical

Out on the console and the 3.5mm Headphone Jack on the controller/ TV/ monitor are the only options left, by using

some type of compatible dongle/ transmitter to transfer and receive chat, in game audio and mic audio. The results will

vary among the lot or it will simply recognize it as a unsupported device.

My question to you is which compatible PS4 Wireless Headset are you using, how is it connected and rate your experience with it, example battery life, sound quality, comfortability, features ....ect? 

Edited by Smurf

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smurf

• zztop911

• DavidCore89

• zmurko

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Sony Wireless Gold headset.

I'd rate it highly--it works for both PS3 and PS4; sound quality is above average to my ears--I can easily adjust between more game or more chat volume; and it connects from a Bluetooth dongle.  It's lasted nearly two years thus far, and I suppose the battery life is average.  I've only ran completely out once whilst gaming, but it will go down to the last bar after about five hours.

You can also easily use it while plugged in if you use the controller charging cable.

• Like 1

Sony Golds are well priced, but it's no secret that they have build quality issues with the headband snapping (Google it). The typical 1 year Sony warranty also sucks.

IMO Turtle Beach Elite 800 is the best around.

10 hours battery life (keep noise cancellation off), hundreds of sound settings for many PS4 top titles (including downloadable stuff), has it's own charging dock which doubles as a transmitter which connects to the PS4 via optical audio (best IMO), can take phone calls via Bluetooth while gaming, use on any portable device, it never loses sound quality when moving far from the console, also can be charged via USB while gaming (honestly you'll never need to), the list goes on. The only downside is the weight, it takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll never need to look elsewhere.

Second best IMO is the Turtle Beach Stealth 500p, kinda like the Elite 800, but minus many features.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

+1 on the Sony Golds. I love mine but treat them like they are made from paper mache. If they do break I will probably come up with a fix that involves lots of duct tape. :P

• Like 3

I hate the fact that all the headsets makes you look like you are about to take off in a 747, my preference would be a earphones style that you would just stick in your ears, but that seems to be non existent when searching for one on google. Spent my last on the wired side of the headset game and hope to have a enjoyable and comfortable fit after the transition. A terrible time to be an audiophile researching, not much substantial spec details available by manufacturers and retailers for most of the products. 

19 hours ago, Smurf said:

I hate the fact that all the headsets makes you look like you are about to take off in a 747, my preference would be a earphones style that you would just stick in your ears, but that seems to be non existent when searching for one on google. Spent my last on the wired side of the headset game and hope to have a enjoyable and comfortable fit after the transition. A terrible time to be an audiophile researching, not much substantial spec details available by manufacturers and retailers for most of the products. 

I think all earphone style equipment will plug into the DS4, it's quite restrictive IMO.

Here's Sony's latest offering of gaming earphones:  https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/11/03/new-in-ear-stereo-headset-for-ps4-launches-this-december/

I think it's wildly overpriced for what it is (it's basically a dressed up set of cheap earphones).

You're right though, all decent headsets have stupid flashing lights and stuff, but you only need to look at those kinda headsets if you want features, if you want a simple wireless headset without the added fuss then there's plenty of cheaper headsets around, but be sure to check that it has the officially licensed product logo on the packaging otherwise it'll show up as generic or unsupported device.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2016 at 1:38 PM, Beez said:
On 3/8/2016 at 0:56 PM, DavidCore89 said:

Sony Golds are well priced, but it's no secret that they have build quality issues with the headband snapping (Google it). The typical 1 year Sony warranty also sucks.

IMO Turtle Beach Elite 800 is the best around.

10 hours battery life (keep noise cancellation off), hundreds of sound settings for many PS4 top titles (including downloadable stuff), has it's own charging dock which doubles as a transmitter which connects to the PS4 via optical audio (best IMO), can take phone calls via Bluetooth while gaming, use on any portable device, it never loses sound quality when moving far from the console, also can be charged via USB while gaming (honestly you'll never need to), the list goes on. The only downside is the weight, it takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll never need to look elsewhere.

Second best IMO is the Turtle Beach Stealth 500p, kinda like the Elite 800, but minus many features.

+1 on the Sony Golds. I love mine but treat them like they are made from paper mache. If they do break I will probably come up with a fix that involves lots of duct tape. :P

Yeah...............those headphones are sure ELITE DC!: SURPRISE :

I'm on my second set of the Sony golds. I love them, but they are very poorly designed. First set broke within 3 months. The last set broke at the very stupidly designed hinge where the plastic holds the metal pin with a flimsy piece of plastic. No duct tape, I used black electrical tape. : ANGER :

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 months later...

Well......the last set of Sony Golds finally just gave up and broke.......really I gave up on fixing them again!

I found a GREAT set to replace them this weekend! They are LucidSound - LS30. They are from a brand new company that is an offshoot from another headset mfg.

They are an outstanding headset! They are NOT CHEAP PLASTIC!!!!!!! They are multi-platform........Xbox1, PS3 and 4 and computer. You can also use them with your phone via the 3.5 plug. Supposed 15 hour battery life...not tested yet by me. They do not do the two surround modes, but separation is great and you can her the direction of sounds quite well. Clarity is phenomenal ..........both mike and incoming sounds.

This morning they announced two new models that will be out for the holiday season and the LS40 will support surround modes.http://www.ecoustics.com/products/lucidsound-ls40-ls20-gaming-headsets/

They do function a bit different in how they are connected to the PS4. The input comes from the optical output(cable included) on the PS4 and goes to a dongle in the front........... Very unobtrusive. Unlike other headsets, the output is NOT compressed or manipulated.....one of the reasons for the amazing clarity. Range from the console is far better than the Sony headphones!

They do take a bit of changes in the PS4 settings to get them to work,  but nothing too difficult. Just follow the directions.

Some links:

Where to buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lucidsound-ls30-wireless-stereo-over-the-ear-gaming-headset-for-playstation-4-xbox-one-and-select-mobile-devices/4631100.p?id=1219780987168&skuId=4631100&cmp=RMX

Reviews

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/lucid-sound-ls-30-gaming-headset-hands-on-review

Set up

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 3

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Nice headset.

Looks very well made and seems well equipped.

Found them for nearly £80 which is fair as I feel as though it'll compete with the Stealth 400.

If they make a 7.1 model with charging dock and sound presets and then I'd be interested.

Certainly one to consider alongside Turtle Beach and Official Sony.

3 hours ago, DavidCore89 said:

Nice headset.

Looks very well made and seems well equipped.

Found them for nearly £80 which is fair as I feel as though it'll compete with the Stealth 400.

If they make a 7.1 model with charging dock and sound presets and then I'd be interested.

Certainly one to consider alongside Turtle Beach and Official Sony.

The construction far exceeds any gaming headset I've seen.............period.

I think the model you'd be interested in will be out for Christmas.

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I am siding on purchasing either a August EP650 or Sony MDR XB950BT,

& have it work in conjunction with the HomeSpot Dual Stream Optical Digital

Wireless HD Transmitter, which feature APT-X for lossless sound quality. I have

a Fosmon mini 3.5mm four pole microphone, so i'll use it. My primary use is for music,

and these are bass heavy as is my preference, hoping to toss  the wired earphones to the curve real soon.

@zztop911 Did you test to see if the Sony Gold worked with your new headphone usb dongle?

Edited by Smurf

I didn't test it Smurf. I think it's a totally different system and frequency.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 years later...
On 6/13/2016 at 9:37 AM, zztop911 said:

Well......the last set of Sony Golds finally just gave up and broke.......really I gave up on fixing them again!

I found a GREAT set to replace them this weekend! They are LucidSound - LS30. They are from a brand new company that is an offshoot from another headset mfg.

They are an outstanding headset! They are NOT CHEAP PLASTIC!!!!!!! They are multi-platform........Xbox1, PS3 and 4 and computer. You can also use them with your phone via the 3.5 plug. Supposed 15 hour battery life...not tested yet by me. They do not do the two surround modes, but separation is great and you can her the direction of sounds quite well. Clarity is phenomenal ..........both mike and incoming sounds.

This morning they announced two new models that will be out for the holiday season and the LS40 will support surround modes.http://www.ecoustics.com/products/lucidsound-ls40-ls20-gaming-headsets/

They do function a bit different in how they are connected to the PS4. The input comes from the optical output(cable included) on the PS4 and goes to a dongle in the front........... Very unobtrusive. Unlike other headsets, the output is NOT compressed or manipulated.....one of the reasons for the amazing clarity. Range from the console is far better than the Sony headphones!

They do take a bit of changes in the PS4 settings to get them to work,  but nothing too difficult. Just follow the directions.

Some links:

Where to buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lucidsound-ls30-wireless-stereo-over-the-ear-gaming-headset-for-playstation-4-xbox-one-and-select-mobile-devices/4631100.p?id=1219780987168&skuId=4631100&cmp=RMX

Reviews

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/lucid-sound-ls-30-gaming-headset-hands-on-review

Set up

Damn guys! I failed to update this review!!

These headphones were the best operating, sounding and constructed headphones I've ever had....................BUT! They started to malfunction. They would connect and disconnect rapidly. I worked with their tech until everything we did wasn't productive and they started blaming Sony.  I then went to Sony and got SOME help and they started blaming Lucid.

I wasn't going to play ping pong so I returned them to Best Buy. Lucid offer for me to return the phones back  postage paid, but Best Buy was one place I was checking out new phones anyway. I found others that had the same problems and got the same results. I suspect that it was something Sony did with one of their updates, but nothing to back that up.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

@zztop911 Are you or anyone using an external hard drive close by?  Then again your stock PS4 control would possibly disconnect as well or randomly behave abnormally like mines does with the external hard drive permanently connected for my use.

Edited by Smurf

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

@zztop911 Are you or anyone using an external hard drive close by?  Then again your stock PS4 control would possibly disconnect as well or randomly behave abnormally like mines does with the external hard drive permanently connected for my use.

No, I checked that.

Hard drives close to your console will also affect your wifi connection of the console to the internet.

Those old headphones and my current ones don't use the same kind of wifi as say the Sony Golds. It's a competently different frequency. Both old and new have a dongle that plugs into a usb port, but it's 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub that it plugs into. The reason that its required is the dongle requires the optical input from the console and the PS4 PRO changed design on usb ports and the dongle will not fit with the optical input.

Silly, but works well with my new phones.

Edited by zztop911

Because Fat Buds Matter!

@zztop911 You could buy a couple of USB 3.0 extension cables, that will fix your clearance issue between the ps4 pro to USB hub, & or a longer male to female toslink cable for the optical audio.

Edited by Smurf

• 4 weeks later...

@zztop911 So I decided to try the Galaxy Note 3 USB micro-b cable on my external hard drive instead of the one I bought online, & there is no interference whatsoever with this Samsung cable so I guess it's shielded. Wish I did this over a year ago. Now I'll only use Samsung cables.

Edited by Smurf

On 9/16/2018 at 5:55 AM, Smurf said:

@zztop911 So I decided to try the Galaxy Note 3 USB micro-b cable on my external hard drive instead of the one I bought online, & there is no interference whatsoever with this Samsung cable so I guess it's shielded. Wish I did this over a year ago. Now I'll only use Samsung cables.

Good to know!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...

To date hear is my best assessment of what 'wireless' headsets you should consider purchasing based off comfortability, sound quality, durability & maybe features if any, but let me get into using universal wireless headsets with your ps4 firstly, incase you currently have one & want to use it.

There is a USB Bluetooth Dongle called, Avantree Leaf. It piars any wireless Bluetooth headsets to PS4, Switch, Mac & PC with a max range of, 20 meters/ 60 ft. It does not transfer data, but it's APT X approved so there will be no lag or delay when using it with your headset or Bluetooth speakers if you're going that route, & Bluetooth 4.1.

All headphones below except Hyper X Cloud Fight meets my comfortability criteria so I won't talk about it. This translate to no overwhelming pressure to the crown of the head or pressure to the jawline or comfort with earpads with these headsets, unless your working with a, 'hey Arnold' I can't help.

Magnet! All headsets below uses high quality magnet 'neodymium.' When it comes to any type of speakers at all, from earbuds to the big speakers in the Paradise Night Club. It really helps with getting heavy bass.

Active Noise Cancelling a.k.a (ANC) this normally prevents Sound leakage so the person next to you cannot hear what's going on in the headset/ headphones.

Soundstage: high's, mid's & Low's. The highest has to do with the Treble, mid's a mixture of treble and bass & Low's has to do with bass. A balanced mixture will have you fully immersed, discerning all angles & location where what ever sound is comming from whether you are watching a movies or gaming. It all comes to life when there are in the finer details.

{ I currently use, Sony xb950bt. It's definitely one of the best headphones when it comes to sound quality, extremely heavy in bass and has a bass button for more bass that you will probably never use. Though the mid's might sound more so to the low sound stage  at times. The build quality of the plastic is not that great, it will most likely break on you within a year if not handled with care but would be considered the most comfortable headset within this list with exception to it's upgraded version is almost the same.

Sony xb950bt n1 it's an upgrade to the previously mentioned but now it can be folded up & there is a companion app on Android to use to set the equalizer. Not much to say here as it's basically the same as the previous version otherwise. They both use proprietary 3.5mm cable.}

Hyper X Cloud Flight (not the best of mic imo but it's a detachable 3.5mm gooseneck mic, a mute button is on headset) but it sounds great & you will hear everything in game  it has a great crisp sound stage, there is no 7.1 sound but you probably wouldn't notice it.

Astro 50 (Gen 3) If you live in an area where there's a lot of 5ghz frequency overlaping your signal, the sound may cut off for 1sec every couple minutes. It's has Dolby Digital Surround Sound 7.1 & a host of features but it's a gamble with that sound cut off situation. Raise your mic to toggle mute & it has software to customize settings for movie, gaming ....ect bla bla bla a independent sound mixer for in game & chat audio & mic from headset...bla. No wired connection availability on this headset.

Sony wh-1000 xm3 was released last month & would riegn as, king over all these headsets but with a USD$350 price tag I wasn't going to put it on the list but I edited the post to put it in, because everybody's limit isn't set in stone.

Edifier W860NB headphone is in direct competition with Sony wh-1000 xm3. It has Bluetooth 4.1, ANC, more responsive touch sensor controls, better NFC connection but no microphone. You could probably purchase an inline MIC TRRS 3.5mm male to male cable to remedy that issue via a USB sound card for your PS4.

The truth of the matter 'wired headsets' are better as you can use sound mixers, detach a mic & purchase superior aftermarket mic, plug in amp or attach two headsets.

@Con   Only the two Sony headset has the Bluetooth feature, the other two uses 5Ghz wireless radio frequency.

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just got in and charging my new Sony Platinum wireless headset. The sound is 7.1 VSS powered by 3D audio tech.  Big 50mm drivers and a hidden noise cancelling mike. They do seem quite substantial and not flimsy at all.

I just installed the headphone companion app, plugged in the wireless adapter in the back of my Pro and hooked up the head set with usb cable. A nice surprise was that there is 3D audio tech support for Red Dead with a dl for one of the two slots on the headset. I'm excited to hear the difference in Red Dead!

Given the past performance of the Sony Golds in the durability aspect, I got a 2 year warranty!  Hopefully it won't be needed. They do look far more sturdy than the Golds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

With a few hours on these headphones, here area few thing.

1. The 3D audio tech does work quite well and you can easily tell the difference when turned off and on. Granted, few games so far use this, but Red Dead is one.

2. The 7.1 VSS  works great on several games. Sound direction is quite accurate and makes hunting in RDR2 easier.

3. These are very stout headphones. They are pretty heavy when compared to others. The pad/strap under the aluminum band does help quite a bit, but you can feel it. L can play quite long, but it is a relied when removed. If the durability is improved, I'll take it over past Sony models.

4. Sound volume............With my hearing loss and tinnitus, I would like a slight bit of volume increase. A person with normal hearing would be perfectly fine.

6. Controls are pretty easy to get to and adjust. When adjusting volume or game/chat mix, it single beeps while in transit and double beeps when maxed.

7 Set up was easy and seamless.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 10 months later...

Drop x THX Panda Headphones tuned initially as a passive headphone. Based on audiophile Hands-On testing it blows the top headphones out of the water & its adaptable when it it comes to adding a boom mic or a regular audio cable.

I guess this is going to be the upper echelon in the headphone market & one that I might have to look into saving my pennies for in the future. Watching a review is a formality for only seeing the Cons.