No Man's Sky

LN-MLB

23 minutes ago, Con said:

My guess is you dont play this anymore. I just found out about it. What I find interesting is being able to visit all those planets. I don't want to do anything but explore. When you have a moment can you share with me if you think just getting it to check out the worlds is worth it. Thanks bro.

I would say so.  I just reinstalled it the other day and it’s still thrilling warping into a new system and seeing the planets around you, no one else has ever been there.  There is a new big update coming soon apparently so I think it is worth it, even if all you want to do is explore.  

Also playing it in cinematic mode with the PSVR is pretty incredible, it’s a gorgeous game.

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Con

• LimeGreenLegend

• Squirrel

• Fido_le_muet

• 4 weeks later...

There is a rumor that this summers " big" update for this game is going to finally include a real MP mode . Someone did some data mining and found some code that they claim basically confirms it. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdRy3ChV0AE7lyq.jpg we will see but it would add a nice element to the game i feel.

Edited by poohty_t
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I was hoping for a VR update.  Maybe one day...

Yeah me too . I have read some people enjoy playing it on their VR with it set on cinematic view . Ive not tried it but do want to . Prob as close as one can get until they add it. I do think they might add that in the future though. 

• Like 2

I was going to get this when my dog began feeling sick. Thankfully he is feeling better and this would be a perfect time to play this as I need something to just walk around and explore the cosmos. 

• 2 months later...

Playing No Man’s Sky after the latest big update is like landing on completely foreign terrain.

I didn’t know what to expect in Next, today’s much-anticipated No Man’s Sky update. Past updates have added or overhauled features, but the game still felt familiar. Not so with this one.

Next brings true multiplayer to No Man’s Sky, but it also brings a huge graphical overhaul, unlimited base building, character customization and a third person mode, as well as several small but welcome quality of life improvements. It feels like everything has changed for the better. Crafting is simplified, inventory management is much easier, exploring the galaxy is full of new delights. I liked the game at launch, but I considered it an acquired taste. Now I can’t imagine anyone not loving it.

Even if you’ve been playing this entire time, every new moment in this update feels like a new discovery. Adjusting to the new recipes for things like warp cells and fuel can take a moment, but I got the hang of it quickly. I sold off my outdated technology to buy a new ship, which I didn’t need, but I wanted something new to see the overhauled planets for the first time. It was worth it. I didn’t realize how much of a difference clouds would make, but entering into a new planet by coming through a cloud barrier enhances the anticipation before you land.

And once you get there, there’s just more stuff to do. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but every time I’ve landed so far, even on nuclear planets, there were plenty of weird rocks, aliens and plants to scan. As always, these planets are beautiful, but the graphical overhaul has made the terrain feel less craggy and random. I’m still sad that I had to leave the one tropical planet I found with Earth-like grass and trees, but the boiling rain really made it hard to stay.

Some of the new recipes for crafting now include an additional step in which you have to refine some minerals in order to use them. Rather than being tedious, this opened me up for more exploration. I wasn’t just looking for the one mineral I needed and then hopping in my ship—I also had to find what I needed to craft a refiner, then go find some fuel for it, then find the mineral I needed, and then refine it. It’s so easy to get lost in this scavenging now, which is impressive because I found it pretty easy to get lost in No Man’s Sky to begin with.

What especially made all the new features shine was when Kotaku video producer Paul Tamayo dropped into my planet for a visit. It was incredibly easy—he just friended me on PlayStation and selected to join my game from the start menu. I heard him in my headset immediately, turned around, and he was there. It was so simple and so magical to hear him react to the toxic planet I had found myself on. As a boiling monsoon raged at us, we strategized about where to head next, where to find the minerals we needed, and just marveled at the beauty of space.

While exploring with Paul, we got into a dogfight with some NPCs. He had a more maneuverable ship and was able to pick them off handily. Once we got the signal that all the pirates were gone, I noticed I was still being shot at. I dodged and weaved to get out of the line of fire. The attacker definitely wasn’t one of the pirates from before, and Paul and I wondered if maybe it was another player. By the time we shot them down, we still hadn’t been able to figure it out. We still don’t know. It feels incredible to have that little unsolved mystery.

I have already played dozens of hours of No Man’s Sky. I actually hadn’t picked it up in a while, in favor of other newer games. After spending a few hours in it today, I can already see this game devouring my life again. Apologies to anyone that I’ve made plans with. You can meet me in the stars.

-Gita Jackson

Staff Writer - Kotaku

Edited by Con

Certainly interesting but not interesting enough to make me buy the game again to play along with PS4 players. 

If there’s crossplay between PC and PS4 that would be great but not likely. 

12 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Certainly interesting but not interesting enough to make me buy the game again to play along with PS4 players. 

If there’s crossplay between PC and PS4 that would be great but not likely. 

I wouldn't either, especially if I had to start progress from the beginning on the console. That is like telling me to start over on GTAV PC. I guess i'm just looking for a cool stoner game where I can explore and zone out when I dont feel like "gaming", if that makes sense.

11 minutes ago, Con said:

I wouldn't either, especially if I had to start progress from the beginning on the console. That is like telling me to start over on GTAV PC. I guess i'm just looking for a cool stoner game where I can explore and zone out when I dont feel like "gaming", if that makes sense.

I don’t even have it installed at the moment and it’s been so long since I played it I’ll probably have to start over anyway. 

Will need something special to get interested in the game again 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

I don’t even have it installed at the moment and it’s been so long since I played it I’ll probably have to start over anyway. 

Will need something special to get interested in the game again 

I’m still holding out hope for a vr patch.

One day...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I’m still holding out hope for a vr patch.

One day...

That would get me back on it. 

It’s desiged as a first person game. Shouldn’t be too hard to add VR controls 

Salad has just picked this up, Bing has it so I can borrow it. I might give it a go over the summer holidays and would be happy to link up with you guys for a session or two.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

Been doing some more research into the update and have come to the following conclusions.

Cross-play isn’t likely to happen ?

VR isn’t likely to happen either ?

Exploring the galaxy would be fun with you guys ?

The game is currently on sale for £15 in the UK ?

Its under 4GB so would fit on my HD ?

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 1

Just installed it today (disc version) and didn’t have to delete anything to install it. 

Played in some kind of free play creator mode and it was fun but too easy. Gonna hit the proper game mode tonight and take it from there.

Online is ok but has issues. Players a left as marked on players they last visited rather than current, when you name planets etc it does not always update on your friends game etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Been doing some more research into the update and have come to the following conclusions.

Cross-play isn’t likely to happen ?

VR isn’t likely to happen either ?

Exploring the galaxy would be fun with you guys ?

The game is currently on sale for £15 in the UK ?

Its under 4GB so would fit on my HD ?

I just want to explore some planets with boiling rain with my XDBX pals!!! 

4 hours ago, JuniorChubb said:

Just installed it today (disc version) and didn’t have to delete anything to install it. 

Played in some kind of free play creator mode and it was fun but too easy. Gonna hit the proper game mode tonight and take it from there.

Online is ok but has issues. Players a left as marked on players they last visited rather than current, when you name planets etc it does not always update on your friends game etc.

Please post images of cool stuff you see. I just have to install the digital copy. 

• Like 1

I tried out the Creator mode with Aslad or whatever it was, named a Planet Catmandozia. It was fun but a little to easy and I can see why it might become repetitive.

I would have tried the Survial mode later that night but got sucked into Creator on GTA instead.

i defo gotta try the real mode as what I played had potential. ?

• Like 1

Downloaded the update and played a little earlier, still on my starting planet.

So much has changed!  It’s gonna take a while to re-learn everything, but it really feels like more of a “game” now.  

Loving the ringed planets, there’s one hanging in the sky on my starter planet, can’t wait to go explore it.

Not tried the multiplayer yet, but if anyone wants to arrange a time we can try to meet up and do some exploring together :) 

• Like 2

Just now, LimeGreenLegend said:

Downloaded the update and played a little earlier, still on my starting planet.

So much has changed!  It’s gonna take a while to re-learn everything, but it really feels like more of a “game” now.  

Loving the ringed planets, there’s one hanging in the sky on my starter planet, can’t wait to go explore it.

Not tried the multiplayer yet, but if anyone wants to arrange a time we can try to meet up and do some exploring together :) 

What you doing tomorrow, 2pm GMT?

@LimeGreenLegend and @Con

You're both VR players as well so can answer this. my choice of next game to buy is either NMS while it's on offer or VR Sports Bar. Which one of those games is the better multiplayer option? NMS I can play single player on my PC so it's all about the multiplayer experience for me.

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

@LimeGreenLegend and @Con

You're both VR players as well so can answer this. my choice of next game to buy is either NMS while it's on offer or VR Sports Bar. Which one of those games is the better multiplayer option? NMS I can play single player on my PC so it's all about the multiplayer experience for me.

I'd say Sports Bar if you want a mp game.  No Man's Sky will be on sale again soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I'd say Sports Bar if you want a mp game.  No Man's Sky will be on sale again soon.

I agree. More interaction in Sports Bar. If we already had an XDBX team exploring in NMS, i would have voted for that instead. 

1 minute ago, Con said:

I agree. More interaction in Sports Bar. If we already had an XDBX team exploring in NMS, i would have voted for that instead. 

We could to that too :D 

• Like 1