No Man's Sky

LN-MLB

I don't think it will have more depth later in the progression, doesn't seem likely to  me either @ScottyB. At best it will have more depth with further updates, they seem to want to add more stuff later, a bit like GTA online.

I am enjoying it, and didn't mind supporting the project even if just to reward a team that took risks to try and do something different. We need innovation in videogames, and these guys are trying that, but they obviously lack experience and resources to produce an AA title. 

The average gamer will eventually get bored, but that is true for most games. I think this is the kind of game I'll explore for quite a while now, get bored, and return occasionally down the line, not putting it definitely away.

Beware though, it's mining, upgrading, and tagging stuff, with the occasional very rudimentary fight. You are just a scavenger gathering stuff to be able to move from place to place. Not someone glorious. The only goal for me is to keep upgrading my equipment so I can go to more dangerous places, and hopefully running by luck into a beautiful enough planet to take some screens. And for me beautiful will be something that mimics parts of the earth.

Not for everyone, but it's still a valuable piece of work in my opinion. Not great per se, but it gets lots of points from me for bravery of the developers and originality alone. I don't think it's that hard to realize if it's your thing or not. Just watch a bit, there's positive and negative reviews out there, depending on what the reviewer values. Look for what reflects your taste instead of the final grade, as it may be very misleading.

It does feel like a journey, that feeling they captured very well. To where and why is the question. I guess I know when I get there, but I suspect it will be the next Deus Ex :)

• Like 5

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Con

• LimeGreenLegend

• Squirrel

• Fido_le_muet

Well put @Arruda and I agree with it. Even though I sounded quiet harsh and picked apart a lot of little things, it is amazing to explore the systems and see what kind of planets that you come across, although they mostly differ by colour and slightly different plants, and wildlife with the landscapes being very similar otherwise. I'd like to see a few more objective based missions that can be done on each planet/system which would add a lot more depth to the game, even if it does become slightly repetitive over the 18 Quintilian planets :P

I'll continue to play it but in short bursts as it does feel very lonely out there and there's only so much exploring I can do at a time.

One comment I read which would be unreal to see happen is to be able to colonise planets with friends and build a community which can be attacked by both other people and NPCs.

With the graphics, they have said they are looking forward to the "PS4 Neo" (better hardware) so that they can make things work better. The PC version would be a huge step up with this game in terms of graphics. 

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

I'm really thinking about getting this game but the consumer reviews for it are shocking especially for the PC version which I'd be getting. The general consensus is that it's a great game from a indie developer but they should have kept the indie price tag not the AAA price tag associated with it. 

The game is going to bomb, sales will drop rapidly and when the price inevitably comes down to something more reasonable then I'll buy it. 

PS4 players, you'll probably be able to find it by the 1000 in any trade in store. Trade in stores may even stop taking copies due to the sheer volume of them that they will have. 

The best possible outcome for the title is if they open it up to modding, you have a practically infinite universe to explore, if they allow people to add in new models of spacecraft, aliens etc then I can see the game lifespan increasing. 

• Like 1

I decided that I need to try this game out so found a "trial version" online. I've been chugging away quite happily for the last four hours, didn't realise for ages that I could get the fuel I needed from blasting asteroids. Things seemed to be progressing well until a bad launch sent me straight into a tunnel where my ship got stuck, after being destroyed and respawning my ship is now heavily damaged I don't have the materials or the storage capacity to fix it. I don't really have the inclination to trawl around this highly toxic planet on foot hoping to find the parts I need to launch my ship.

The PC version is laggy and buggy, once these issues have been fixed and the price comes down then I'll consider purchasing the game, until then it's been an entertaining afternoon but nothing worth spending money on yet.

What really annoys me is instead of just clicking with the mouse to do anything you have to hold it down for a few seconds. 

Edited by Squirrel

Got the game, I don't think it likes me.

First planet I spawn on I'm underwater on an ice planet and freeze to death. Decide to install the update.

finally make it to a space station, die and the update is ready.

install update and now my grave is on the other side of a door that needs an atlas thingo.

Quite addictive though, enjoying it so far.

• Like 4

I finally found a planet that's not trying to kill me either by acid rain, boiling temps, toxic air, hungry animals or psychotic sentinels which go mental at me even if I look at a plutonium rock. 

Going to make the most of it and earn some cash here for a bigger ship.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

I finally found a planet that's not trying to kill me either by acid rain, boiling temps, toxic air, hungry animals or psychotic sentinels which go mental at me even if I look at a plutonium rock. 

Going to make the most of it and earn some cash here for a bigger ship.  

I know right, sentinels are a touchy bunch, although I just got chased across a planet by killer crabs. That was an interesting site for the rest of the Gek I'm sure

11 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I know right, sentinels are a touchy bunch, although I just got chased across a planet by killer crabs. That was an interesting site for the rest of the Gek I'm sure

I found a planet which was littered with grav balls, couldn't walk more than 100m without finding another one but the sentinels there were insane. They would attack on sight whether I was collecting anything or not. 

On 8/25/2016 at 1:12 AM, Squirrel said:

Encountered a game breaking bug where the game crashes every time I warp. Gonna have to restart ?

I get the same problem on PS4 and have done since the first time I warped. I was saving at a space station before each warp (which is a pain when you have fuel for 5 consecutive warps and plenty of warp drives to keep going).

I enjoyed this for the first few hours while I was discovering things. I got bored of it after a while since everything's the same. I kept playing just to see how far I could get before giving up. Expanded my inventory to 30 and ship to 35 slots, but even that fills up with junk pretty quickly. I made it a fair way, but gave up without reaching the center of the galaxy.

Edited by Skorpion

Can't argue with the trailer however the mods starting to coming out now are certainly showing what the game is capable of. The PC version should be ok but the PS4 version is going to be the same for quite a while yet.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have it, I enjoy the game but no, have not played it in like a few months. I played for a lot of hours when it was released, went through a couple of galaxy centers and haven't played since. Got bored with it... And the foundation update it didn't make me curious one bit. I'm not into minecraft and also, what's the point in having a base if there isn't anyone around to play with? :/

• Like 2

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

I've been playing it, but pretty bored with it lately. Made a base with a nice size pearl farm. It makes a lot of units, but nothing to buy except ships and freighters.

27 minutes ago, BMSTANG said:

I've been playing it, but pretty bored with it lately. Made a base with a nice size pearl farm. It makes a lot of units, but nothing to buy except ships and freighters.

Good to know I can at least build a base that can produce something to sell, I was unaware of that, I could actually buy a better ship, I have almost all slots on it but now they are asking me for 100+ millions for them :/

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

14 minutes ago, grjkie said:

Good to know I can at least build a base that can produce something to sell, I was unaware of that, I could actually buy a better ship, I have almost all slots on it but now they are asking me for 100+ millions for them :/

My base has two farms. 100-plant pearl farm that can generate about 2.8m every 22 minutes, and then an 85-plant lube farm that can make 2m every 6 minutes. But that also makes the game boring. No more need for mining, so no more need for all the exploring. I'm hoping for another update soon.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've been playing this quite a but since the latest update and it has made the game a lot more fun and "game like", in that it has a story to follow.  I started a new game and got through all the tutorial stuff much quicker than when the game was new.  Flying is much more fun now too, especially on planets, they have given full control to you now so you can dive down into canyons and such.  Space combat also seems much more hard, but I'm still in my starting ship so I'm probably pretty weak.  @Squirrel and @grjkie I believe you were asking about this the other day, I think it's worth playing this again, there's loads of stuff I've not mentioned because I haven't done any of it yet, farming, base building, buying a freighter, land deformation.  I believe I'm going to put a lot more time into this now than at launch.

Now here are some pretty pictures I've taken on my adventures.

http://imgur.com/gMfSiSO

http://imgur.com/KJvrwtt

http://imgur.com/a19O1S1

http://imgur.com/HgFh9KC

http://imgur.com/EqshdVB

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I've been playing this quite a but since the latest update and it has made the game a lot more fun and "game like", in that it has a story to follow.  I started a new game and got through all the tutorial stuff much quicker than when the game was new.  Flying is much more fun now too, especially on planets, they have given full control to you now so you can dive down into canyons and such.  Space combat also seems much more hard, but I'm still in my starting ship so I'm probably pretty weak.  @Squirrel and @grjkie I believe you were asking about this the other day, I think it's worth playing this again, there's loads of stuff I've not mentioned because I haven't done any of it yet, farming, base building, buying a freighter, land deformation.  I believe I'm going to put a lot more time into this now than at launch.

Now here are some pretty pictures I've taken on my adventures.

http://imgur.com/gMfSiSO

http://imgur.com/KJvrwtt

http://imgur.com/a19O1S1

http://imgur.com/HgFh9KC

http://imgur.com/EqshdVB

I'm definitely going back to this game once I'm done with Zelda. 

Flying on a planet was a PITA si it's pretty cool if they patched it. 

What do you mean there's a story to follow now? The goal always was to reach the center of the universe right? 

2 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I'm definitely going back to this game once I'm done with Zelda. 

Flying on a planet was a PITA si it's pretty cool if they patched it. 

What do you mean there's a story to follow now? The goal always was to reach the center of the universe right? 

Yeah, apparently it's about 30 hours of story about another guy who's the same race as you, I haven't done much of it though.

8 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Yeah, apparently it's about 30 hours of story about another guy who's the same race as you, I haven't done much of it though.

I'm wondering if I should start over. I wasn't very far in the story. Only done 3 or 4 light jumps :lol:

I was about the same as Fido. Lots of random exploring but not really got anywhere. Briefly looked at the foundation update but may have a look again. 

Does anyone know if the PC and PS4 users are in the same universe?

just reached the 'center' of the galaxy this afternoon, only to be spitted out into a 'new' galaxy.. miraculously filled with the notorious suicidal 'god'atlas being worshipped by the familiar warrior'slugs', merchant'birds' and scientist'robots'. was quite the anticlimax tbh.

tips: collect all your stuff from your base and take it with u in your ship before entering the new 'universe', i lost all mine at my old base (couldnt go back anymore)

also bring plenty of all the stuff needed to install ur tech, because most will be broken when arriving in new universe

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/19/2017 at 6:12 PM, LimeGreenLegend said:

My guess is you dont play this anymore. I just found out about it. What I find interesting is being able to visit all those planets. I don't want to do anything but explore. When you have a moment can you share with me if you think just getting it to check out the worlds is worth it. Thanks bro.