Tips and Tricks for Destiny

JALJ

So Destiny is a pretty confusing game....it just drops you into the world with nothing but a ghost and it kind of expects you to figure things as you go. Im a little late to the party but i know some of you have been playing for some time now... so I thought I'd start a thread to see if any of you seasoned veterans had any tips and tricks to help us rookies. One thing I'd really to pick your guys brain over is guns and gear. I kind of just pick whatever has a higher rating and in green... Is this a wise strategy? Lol

• Like 3

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pr0fane

• rofur

• markt112

• SeymorScagneti

One thing I figured out to level up fairly quick is to go after Vangaurd bounties, but pick ones that are on the same planet and knock them all out at once.

• Like 5

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Weapons and Armor: quality order from lowest to highest is: white(common), green(uncommon), blue(rare), purple(legendary) and yellow(exotic). You generally won't start seeing legendary and exotic equipment till you reach level 20 and above.  Which is fine because typically you need to be at least level 20 to USE them.

I can honestly say, I'm not entirely sure which of the weapon values determines how much damage it does to enemies; the numeric "attack" value or the impact.  It seems to me Impact is what really knocks them down.  I like to look for a balance between rate of fire and impact that suits my style of play.

Rare and above equipment have upgrade "bubbles" or "perks" which you can see by holding triangle over the weapon or armor.  The perks are which differentiate the equipment and some of them are significant.  So if you have two similar weapons; use the one with the "perk" you like.

The best weapons have an element.  By this I mean they deal either Arc, Solar or Void damage.  You can tell this by the icon in the upper left corner.  Kinetic is the basic/default damage type.  But if you get any primary weapon that does elemental damage, hold onto that baby and upgrade it ASAP.

These bubbles unlock with experience.  So, using the weapon during activities BUT make sure to have gear equipped that needs to be upgraded BEFORE you turn in your bounties.  This unlocks those perks quicker.  In fact, once you have fully upgraded equipment you are using; upgrade equipment you plan on dismantling...they're worth more if you dismantle them after upgrading.

You can only ever equipment ONE exotic weapon and one exotic armor.  So even when you start getting those exotics, keep a good legendary on your character, this will give you options to swap out your exotic gear for different activities.

Ammo; one of the infuriating things about this game is the ammo usage.  With primary weapons, hand cannons use a LOT of ammo so keep your eye on it when using them.  Also; when you switch weapons, all the ammo "in" the weapon gets used up.  So if you swap out your shotgun for a sniper, for example, the ammo that was IN your shotgun is not available to your sniper rifle.  Again, something to watch for, especially during strikes & raids.

Sorry for the randomness of these tips, just added stuff off the top of my head.

One thing I figured out to level up fairly quick is to go after Vangaurd bounties, but pick ones that are on the same planet and knock them all out at once.

To add to this; I can't verify it, but it seems you get more XP for turning in multiple bounties.  I always try to turn in at least 3 bounties at a time.

Edited by Pr0fane
  • Like 3

pr0fane0ne.jpg

Yea those bounties make a huge difference and they actually add to the game. Getting 100 precision kills in one mission was pretty intense :D

• Like 2

So profane, when it tells you upgrades are available and its for a weapon, it levels up what that particular weapon does and not your general skills with weapons?

• Like 1

One thing I found that worked quite well was to play PVP/crucible.

Win or lose you get about 2000 xp per game as well as xp for any kills you get.  Helps at lot at lower levels because light levels are ignored, i.e. you can do as much damage to a level 34 player as you could to a level 2.  Add some of the crucible bounties on top and you should get a good couple of levels early on.

• Like 1

What kind of weapons would you recommend for the crucible? Or is there specific guns you have to use?

For the Crucible, I say go for having your Exotic in the Primary weapon slot.  The Special and Heavy ammo are in such limited drops that you want your biggest bang always available.  My two favourite weapons are: Thorn and MIDA Multi-Tool for Crucible.  When I'm forced to not using those, it really is a toss up between Word of Crota and Fang.  Thorn and Hawkmoon are among the most popular weapons in the Crucible because of their perks.  Remember that, in the Crucible, you can be just as easily killed by a blue hand cannon as an exotic.  But the perks still make a difference. 

Nope, you're not restricted in any way, but level advantages are apparently balanced.  I honestly don't know what that means, but just know that from personal experience, I can just as easily be owned by a rank 6 with a blue scout rifle as a level 34 with fully ascended legendary weapon.

pr0fane0ne.jpg

Yeah I agree with Profane, an exotic primary is the best way to go but the handcannon you can get from the gunsmith when you first reach the tower is good too and that's just a common weapon.

I'm a fan of the last word myself because of the fire rate but I would love a hawkmoon.

So i read that the Gjallarhorn and Ice Breaker are the best weapons in destiny....my question to you vets is what makes them the best weapons to have? Is it more important to have a rare weapon as opposed to a common weapon?

Wouldn't know about Gjallerhorn as I still haven't got one! But it basically destroys all and is the best rocket launcher as it has tracking and what's called wolfpack rounds, which are smaller rockets that detonate after the initial blast.

Icebreaker is okay primarily because you don't have to pick up ammo for it, it generates it's own over time. Only downside is it has a lot of recoil and only ever has 6 shots.

• Like 1

Yep, Rofur summed both weapons up nicely.  I have to say, Gjally is a game-changer.  Once you get one and it's fully upgraded you tend to fall back on it whenever things get tough.

I would say that Truth (exotic rocket launcher) is probably better in Crucible than Gjally though.  Mainly due to it's insane velocity.  It's the best anti-sniper weapon out there.

Icebreaker also has the unofficial perk of helping you glitch-spawn heavy ammo.  I personally am not sure how this works since I don't have one.

• Like 1

pr0fane0ne.jpg

Yep, Rofur summed both weapons up nicely.  I have to say, Gjally is a game-changer.  Once you get one and it's fully upgraded you tend to fall back on it whenever things get tough.

I would say that Truth (exotic rocket launcher) is probably better in Crucible than Gjally though.  Mainly due to it's insane velocity.  It's the best anti-sniper weapon out there.

Icebreaker also has the unofficial perk of helping you glitch-spawn heavy ammo.  I personally am not sure how this works since I don't have one.

For PvP i'd say the best rocket launcher is Tomorrows Answer.  My usual set up for pvp would be.. Hawk Moon/Last word ... Matador 64... Tomorrows Answer. Managed to get my first flawless today with this :)

Edited by markt112
  • Like 1

Question about the Pack of Wolves in patrol...after they go away and a note pops up saying 'a fallen treasure is nearby', and the ether key coundown.....what/where is the treasure, and what is the ether key countdown?

TIA

The Ether Key countdown is when the "treasure" disappears.. so you only have that time to find the treasure, It's somewhere nearby, random spawn so you can never be sure where to find it, best things is to hop on your Sparrow and searching for it!

It's a chest with a kind of a beam and glow on top of it.

It rewards engrams and stuff, and has a chance to reward Treasure Key, which let's you open the big chest beneath the Prison of Elders after you cleared it!

• Like 2

b2ExQd1.png

For PvP i'd say the best rocket launcher is Tomorrows Answer.  My usual set up for pvp would be.. Hawk Moon/Last word ... Matador 64... Tomorrows Answer. Managed to get my first flawless today with this :)

Cool.  However, I suck in Trials of Osiris so...doubt I'll ever get Tomorrows Answer.  Looks cool though.

pr0fane0ne.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I knew you could reforge legendary weapons with the House of Wolves II in the top right corner for different perks. What I didn't know, is that you could change the element too. So yeah, I'm a dumbass.

So I spent about 35 or so motes of light trying to reforge Radegast's Fury and Ash Factory into elements and I needed.

For the newer players....try to get at least 1 of every element for all your special and heavy weapons.

Solar, arc, and void in shotguns, fusion rifles, sniper rifles, machine guns, and rocket launchers.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

WTF?  That's quite the glitch.  Wish the author had explained a little better.  Ie; is it only Warlock and only with the Skull of what's-his-name?

It's not a glitch. Motes can be used to upgrade all weapons and gear now.

Now I see why motes drop a lot more than they used to.

I haven't tried it, but it seems a hell of a lot better to level up gear this way vs using glimmer and mats.

Well shit, I did not know that.  Thanks for sharing.

I don't have any new gear to try this on, but either way I'm waiting until Tuesday to do anything new like that.