Protocawl

Gangsters Gone Wild

2 team Contend Capture for 2 to 24 players

Time limit: 10 min / Target score: 6 points

1 round by default

Starting and respawn vehicle: Roosevelt

Starting weapon: MG

Weapon pickups: MGs, Molotovs, Pipe Bombs, Baseball Bats

The actors of an upcoming 1930s gangster film have become the characters they're supposed to portray and are now trying to rob the PS Bank, which is being renovated. Go into the Bank, exit through the side entrance and make your way to the front of the Oriental Theatre - you'll find the cash there. Great chance to use the Sweeper, otherwise Forced+Pickups.

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 1

Got a chance to play this last night.

While in theory this is an interesting capture, it has some flaws and needs some work. I can only illustrate points I had experience with. I cannot comment whatsoever on the actual bank area because I was never able to make it up there.

First up is the base placement and start points. While I think it's fine to have them close together (it's definitely messy when you have 4 teams), you need to do something to protect each camp. It is far too easy to wait at someone's base who has a capture object and pop them (all that effort wasted, and it took a ton to get the bags). If you're going with the "gangster" vibe, try and find an actor to place at each base that will kick your ass if you attempt to do that. 4 teams may even be a little bit much. 3 could probably work better, but that's something you'd have to play with. It'd give more real estate inside the studio for each camp too because they're awfully close knit with very little separating them despite all the structures.

Stemming from this, the respawns were certainly an issue. As far as I can tell everyone was spawning in the SAME general area. Now that could be alright but not when you're literally on top of one another in a slow vehicle and a weapon with immense range (even if accuracy is low, there's really no escape at this point). You need to spread the spawns out a bit more, try and find a balanced way to accomplish this so each team is about as equally spaced from the capture object and base location (so as to not have one team with a shorter distance that isn't simply easier). This leads me to my next point.

Starting weapon. I know why you went with this, to get that vibe, but the range just does not mesh with the spawn points. Now perhaps if you adjusted the respawns in a more accommodating matter this wouldn't be an issue, but as it stands now, it is. I know the creator doesn't give  a lot of options here, especially no Sweeper or Vintage Pistol, so you're trying to have some validity to your description and that's fine .. but try and come up with some kind of compromise here. Maybe you can stick with the MG if you really work out the spawning and base situation, but personally I might go with something a little shorter range.

Wanted levels were also a severe problem here. 3 stars no less which equates to helicopters. After only a few minutes the movie studio was completely inaccessible. Even plowing through with the Roosevelt yielded no results. Respawning felt a bit like free roam where you're left with a cop infested environment. I'd get rid of the wanted levels here. If you wanted some NPC interaction it might be better to incorporate some strategically placed actors/cops .. maybe even with some respawns.

Like I said I can't comment on the bank situation, not sure if there were any glaring issues there or not, but from what I got to experience this is what I felt needed adjusting. It's a really cool idea and with some further tweaking can be a really awesome capture, you just need to put the effort in. In all honesty too it wouldn't take a whole lot of time and I am not saying start from scratch. They're just a number of little things that really add up on the whole.

Edited by G37
  • Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Thank you so much, G! That's exactly what I need! There's only so much I can figure out by testing it alone in the creator, so... yeah, those sort of problems can surface in an actual team capture scenario. I will always do whatever I can to improve my published creations, rather then just delete them, because all my jobs tend to take hours to create (I'm a bit of a perfectionist) and I would hate to see my time wasted. So everyone should know that their feedback is more then appreciated by me and ALWAYS taken into account. :)

A question: Do you think that 1 star cops will still be as much of a problem?

I shall make changes to the capture later today. Still waiting for more info on how it played out from more players, though, and would like to know how getting the capture objects from the bank area worked out.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the capture, Proto, although it did have some issues like G said.  :)

The trouble is not so much the wanted level itself, but the amount of police cars that end up blocking the studio entrances.  

It was hard to get back into the studio without being killed by the cops or the other teams.

I made it to the bank area during the capture, but couldn't work out how to get to the money bags.  

The job description said the money was being held at the back of the bank, so I went looking in the back alleys & tried climbing over the blue fences.  :lol:

Mrs Jag told me there was a side exit inside the bank which led you to the  money bag enclosure.

This could be an issue for other players like me who didn't know about that exit. 

I've never made a DM or capture in the creator, but I understand that interiors can't be used.  

It's cool to walk through the bank to get the money bags though, but maybe there's another way to get them, or some further instructions in the job description.  ;)

Like G said, the spawn points were an issue back at the movie studio.

My team spawned in the same place each time, which was a block away from the entrance, while another team seemed to spawn very close to the entrance.

Whenever we got close to the entrance, the same players were waiting for us each time, even though they'd re-spawned at some stage too.

I really liked the style & feel it had with the Roosevelt, movie studio, weapons & old bank.  

Glad you're going to make some changes.  We'll be more than happy to test it again once you make a couple of adjustments.  :)

Edited by no_snacks
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the capture, Proto, although it did have some issues like G said.  :)

The trouble is not so much the wanted level itself, but the amount of police cars that end up blocking the studio entrances.  

It was hard to get back into the studio without being killed by the cops or the other teams.

I made it to the bank area during the capture, but couldn't work out how to get to the money bags.  

The job description said the money was being held at the back of the bank, so I went looking in the back alleys & tried climbing over the blue fences.  :lol:

Mrs Jag told me there was a side exit inside the bank which led you to the  money bag enclosure.

This could be an issue for other players like me who didn't know about that exit. 

I've never made a DM or capture in the creator, but I understand that interiors can't be used.  

It's cool to walk through the bank to get the money bags though, but maybe there's another way to get them, or some further instructions in the job description.  ;)

Like G said, the spawn points were an issue back at the movie studio.

My team spawned in the same place each time, which was a block away from the entrance, while another team seemed to spawn very close to the entrance.

Whenever we got close to the entrance, the same players were waiting for us each time, even though they'd re-spawned at some stage too.

I really liked the style & feel it had with the Roosevelt, movie studio, weapons & old bank.  

Glad you're going to make some changes.  We'll be more than happy to test it again once you make a couple of adjustments.  :)

Had a good laugh reading this :lol: Thank you though, it's priceless info! (And I have run out of likes for today :()

Yeah, I'll see if I can squeeze some extra info into the description to make sure everyone knows to run through the bank to get to the money bags :P You could, however, get to the bags by parking any car next to the blue walls and climbing over - it's just that then you might lose a bit extra armor/health (security guards should be waiting in that area, unless they've been killed). The money was supposed to be IN the bank originally, but you can't place anything inside, it's only possible to run through, so I figured I'd use that at the very least. I guess I'll have to specify that behind in this case means in front of the Oriental Theatre :D

I understood from G's response that the cop cars were the issue - I'm just curious if there would be as many cop cars with 1 star... haven't had enough experience myself (or haven't noticed), thought you guys might have so you could tell me.

One more question popped into my mind now: Did anyone notice/make use of the explosives that can be picked up at Lucky Plucker Up-n-Atom Burger and in front of a garage entrance (both near the bank)? Or are these in bad places or completely pointless?

EDIT: Oh, and, were sawed-offs used/useful at all?

Edited by Protocawl

A one-star wanted level will probably be better if you want cops involved still.  When you add three stars, there's a lot more lag.  With one star, there will be no helicopters involved.

Regarding the explosives, I used them.  I took the sticky bombs and planted one on the door and two on each Roosevelt sitting outside the bank.  I was waiting for the other teams to come out with bags and I'd kill them.  Unfortunately, I was spotted while "hiding" before detonating and one of the other team members (Skorpion, I think) got me.  :lol:  Those are good places to put the explosives and I wouldn't move them.  I never used the shotguns.

Honestly, the only real issue with this was the spawn killing.  There were a few times at an opponents base that I could have killed them while they were spawning back in.  Like G said, I'd just work out the spawn points for each team.  It would cut down on the amount of spawn killing that can/will happen.

Really cool concept.  It would be nice of Rockstar to let us use DLC weapons.  The sweeper would be so cool to use here.

• Like 1

A one-star wanted level will probably be better if you want cops involved still.  When you add three stars, there's a lot more lag.  With one star, there will be no helicopters involved.

Regarding the explosives, I used them.  I took the sticky bombs and planted one on the door and two on each Roosevelt sitting outside the bank.  I was waiting for the other teams to come out with bags and I'd kill them.  Unfortunately, I was spotted while "hiding" before detonating and one of the other team members (Skorpion, I think) got me.   :lol:  Those are good places to put the explosives and I wouldn't move them.  I never used the shotguns.

Honestly, the only real issue with this was the spawn killing.  There were a few times at an opponents base that I could have killed them while they were spawning back in.  Like G said, I'd just work out the spawn points for each team.  It would cut down on the amount of spawn killing that can/will happen.

Really cool concept.  It would be nice of Rockstar to let us use DLC weapons.  The sweeper would be so cool to use here.

I would like cops to be involved. I thought it might make the way back to base more exciting and make the whole thing feel more realistic.

Good to hear about the explosives, I'll keep them :P

As for the spawn locations and team starting points - I'll definitely fix all that.

I really really really want Sweepers to be used in this job, so I hope R* will make that change sometime. I honestly can't wrap my head around why they haven't done that... The coolest weapons in the game (Sweeper, Musket, Vintage Pistol and some others) are hardly ever used for anything, I've never seen anyone use them in free-roam. It would be awesome to be able to use them in custom jobs... I also don't have the Sweeper OR the Roosevelt for that matter and I couldn't be more bummed - I bought the game 2 months after the Valentine's event :(

Anyway, thank you for the response, Jag! :)

I don't think a wanted level would be bad under normal circumstances, but wanted levels are sort of infinite if you get what I'm trying to say. With actors, they're limited unless you elect to give them infinite respawns.

In this sense, even with a 1 star wanted level, they can easily follow you back to the studio and cause the same problem with a higher wanted level, just at a slower rate. I think I'd personally do away with them and perhaps utilize actors (perhaps some cops along popular roads and some at the bank itself sort of "anticipating" something bad, or perhaps they got a call in and had to respond there).

This is mostly because the studio is such a narrow and intricate place with very specific entry points and not a whole lot of room to move around.

• Like 1

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

UPDATE:

*There are now 2 teams instead of 4.

*Changed the job description to be more accurate and helpful.

*Raised the target score and number of capture objects to 8.

*Repositioned team capture areas, team respawn areas and team start points.

*Completely separated team bases from each other (with props).

*Removed Sawn-Off Shotguns.

*Turned wanted levels off.

*Added 3 cop actors around the bank and changed a few things about the actors who were already there.

*Added 2 MG spawns near each base.

*Added some Armor spawns.

*Added a "base guardian" actor to both team bases.

*Added/removed/repositioned props and vehicles.

It should now play out nicely even if there's only 8 people... or even 6 actually. My first capture that doesn't require a (nearly) full lobby! :P

• Like 1

This is massively improved since the last time I played it. It flows a lot better. I think you're almost there though as I think a few things could still use some adjustments.

The bases are better now and having the NPC guarding each side is a great idea, so glad you did that. IMO it would still be a good idea to try and divorce the bases as much as possible inside the Studio. They're very close still. I know you have a series of props to sort of direct movement, but I think it would be better if it felt a bit more open here, it's very claustrophobic. I know a lot of people had trouble figuring out where to go and that leads back into what I'd suggest about the props: open it up a bit. Have both entrances of the studio without clutter allowing people to at least decide which way to go in because as you have it now, it's still very easy for the opposing team to camp the one entry point and steal your objects.

No wanted levels are also a good thing and I think the actors are just fine and as far as I could tell anyway, the respawns were sound too. The only other suggestion I might have is to tone down the timer from 15 to 10 minutes and perhaps increase the carry capacity to 2.

Most definitely better experience this time around though and it's almost there.

• Like 1

Much better this time around, good work.

A few other things to think about, and it's up to you how you want it to play out.

Trying to get into the bases was made a little difficult cause it's blocked off. I see why you have done it but its hard to get around the area if you don't know it on top of things being blocked off, and having only one predictable entry means it's a choke point where the other team can hang and to kill you, steal the bags and deliver it to their base.

It's very hard to avoid that situation as it will almost always happen regardless of where the bases are, but in this setup it means you don't have a chance to get it back once you respawn.

The other thing is time limit. Most hosts allow only 10 mins per job and having jobs that are a bit longer throw out the schedule. Mind you, I was quiet captivated for the entire match and didn't even realise the time. We were 1 bag away from getting them all before the time ran out so that's good and it's up to you if you want to leave the time or change it to 10 mins. I think it will still play out well in 10 mins.

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

UPDATE:

*Changed time limit to 10 mins.

*Reduced target score from 8 to 6 points.

*Removed 2 capture objects - there are now 6.

*Repositioned Team 2's base (capture area, team start points, guardian, vehicles and weapon spawns).

*Removed most of the blocking props and repositioned others in the studio.

Should be all relevant changes listed for now. It took a lot longer to get all this done, because one day the game was inaccessible. The next day I was stumped - I couldn't figure out how I could possibly position the bases equally far from the bank and yet as far from each other inside the studio as possible, while maintaining overall balance.  Then I had to figure out which words in my job description had become banned. Then I had an idea how to separate the bases and made all the changes and here it is - hopefully the final version of "Gangsters Gone Wild". If you have any questions about all this, just ask!

I only have 1 question. When are we going to play this on PS3? :D

Great question!

I'm trying to find time when I could host an impromptu PL with several of my jobs to test them out. I'm working on a time and will post it in scheduled events event submissions when it's all figured out, mate. (hopefully soon).

OR other PS3 hosts could add this to their PLs in the meanwhile, especially since it's now much less horrible :lol: Banks, Xyon, Onrefne maybe? *WINK WINK*

I'll try to promote it on PS3 PLs' topics in the morning :P

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 1

It could make an appearance in The Action Is GO PL tonight.

Looks like it didn't, though - a little low on attendance, I presume?

• 10 months later...

UPDATE:

• Deleted the old version and added the new link to the OP. The new version has 1 team at the film studio and the 2nd much further away so that there wouldn't be any easy camping and stealing the cases at the bases.
  • This update brings with it new respawn areas and changed prop placements at the bases + other minor changes.

Make sure you bookmark the new version from the OP if you want to try it out!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...