Your worst IRL injury....

Pb76

There's a hospital based drama on TV, it got me thinking about accidents and injuries I've had and because I'm nosey I'd like to hear about any you've had.

So...?

• Like 3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• Pb76

• Danielle

• DavidCore89

I've had it pretty light compared to the kinds of injuries I should have by now. but my worst was when I dropped a (approximately) 250 pound chunk of sidewalk on my finger. Thought I was Hercules and tried to put it in the dumpster by myself. I got it in there, but the damn thing slammed my finger on the edge of the dumpster on the way in. Broke the tip of my left-middle finger and crushed it open about 3/4 the way down. Only 14 stitches. I'd post a picture but I didn't take any. BUT at the hospital when the doc has opened it up to clean it, the wound resembled a cut open Chinese sausage. Now the scar looks like somebody bit me. 

• Like 2

Drove of the road with an moped when I was 16, used my head to break the fall, ended up wiht an bad cut on my chin, still scared, multiple wound's on the whole body, broken thumb and a concussion.

My helmet probably saved me from major injury's or even worse death.

If I've had driven of the road 10 meters further away I would have ended up in a lake, don't know if that would have been better or worse.

• Like 1

I was heading to work on my bike on a windy rainy day. Went through a puddle, didn't realise it was a pothole, the force of the impact sent me flying forward and over the handlebars. I was in the middle of nowhere, had pain in my leg but didn't think it was much more than a knock. There was no one around so I phoned my girlfriend (now ex) to see if she could pick me up and help. She said just walk it off and I'll be fine.

I picked my bike up, unjammed the brakes and they had buckled after the crash. I used my bike as a crutch managed to limp nearly 2 miles to a train station. Luckily there was a bike shop at the station, got the bike into the shop and tried walking without it to support me and almost collapsed, I got helped to a taxi, straight to the hospital where after X-rays and CT scans it turned out I had broken my pelvis. 

3 months of sitting on my arse playing GTA followed, with an incredibly sympathetic girlfriend doing everything for me as she was feeling a bit guilty. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

My only remotely major injury (aged 15ish) was falling off my my mountain bike after it slid out from under me as I cornered fast on a wet road. I hit the road chin-first, stood up, made sure nobody saw me fall, spat out some tooth chippings, then (wondering why my chin felt strangely cold) I went to touch it and my fingers went into the one inch gash that I'd just made. Rode home, looked at my chin in the mirror for a few minutes, went to A&E, got 8 stitches, went home, had tea. The end.

• Like 1

Raced motocross for years so I've been injured dozens of times, broken colar bone, fingers, road rash from tip to toe. Broke my tibia and fibula snowboarding. Rolled a car and compressed my spine which was scary as shit! The worst would be the car crash and the broken leg. Especially cause I had to get surgery where the docs installed a plate and 6 screws or pins or whatever. 3months in a thigh high cast was torture. Got petty good in a wheelchair though as I was still in high school when it happened. Fell in a fire hydrant once when I was real young and had to get a few staples in my head too. Forgot about that one coincidently. Lol

Edited by ibsmokin
  • Like 1

You Want Peace, Prepare For War

Back when I was a teenager, me and my brother were lying down on a bunkbed (one bed on top of another). If was on a bottom one, my brother on top. To piss him off, I was kicking him from below with my feet. I kicked a little too hard and the top bed came loose and fell on me. The steel part of the bed hit my head right between the eyes. My brother was yelling "you had it coming". I hadn't realise that I was bleeding like crazy, couldn't feel anything. I had no pain at all. My mom was freaking out as my face was covered in blood.

Ended up with a few stitches and a small scar between the eyed.

Quite lucky at almost 30 to not have suffered a worse injury.

• Like 1

Wow there are some really crazy things that have happened! Glad everyone is ok now though. I would love to get more into motorbikes, but there are far too many injuries that come with it :P

As for me, I don't remember this as I was very young, but I fell off a table and put my tooth through my bottom lip so I have a scar there now.

I have never had any major accidents and have never broken or fractured a bone or anything. The worst injuries have been sprains. I do snowboard and have hit a few 25ft jumps so I have had the chance for injury :P so then this one time I decided to go skiing. I had a rather minor fall and the bindings didn't release until it twisted my bad knee (always had problems spraining it) both ways.

Thought it was fine and would go away. It didn't. To cut a long story short, my knee problems are because I have poor knee anatomy and my knee cap sits to the side and I have worn out all the cartridge and would develop arthritis very soon if I don't have surgery..

So I have just recently had a tibial tubercle osteotomy which basically is a knee cap re alignment where they cut your shin bone and move it across and screw it back in. The idea is to prolong the life of my knee by now wearing out the unworn cartridge.. Was on crutches for 6 weeks and out of physical work for 12. I'm about 9 months post op and can do day to day activities pretty well but anything overly strenuous on the knee will cause a bit of pain so still a fair bit of strengthening to do!

scottyb1988.jpg

I'm most definitely accident prone (falling up stairs, falling down them, dropping things, running into others) but I've never broken a bone or had any kind of surgery or stitches. Some of the stuff here is pretty crazy.

BUT

Baby G once thought it to be a good idea to come running around a corner out of nowhere when his mom just took something out of the oven and grab two fistfuls of the oven rack. I had to wear special mittens and shit for months.

• Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Back in the day me and my friends used to ride mountain bikes all day, one of those days we decided to race from the top of our neighborhood to the bottom (where we lived), after aprox. 1km of speeding downhill, on a curve, my slick tires decided to slip away...  I grinded the brand new tarmac for about 10 meters. Long story short,  I lost a inch of skin, some bits of meat, lost part of a vein and my medial epicondyle that was supposed to be round is now plain like a table. All that only got me 3 stitches, an ugly round scar and the awesome memory of a nurse removing rocks from inside my arm.

R.I.P. brand new Shimano and alluminum pedals.

Edited by DefaultBling
  • Like 1

Yeah, I haven't had any serious injuries either, only got stitched several times, all on my head, 3 of them were bicycle accidents, flying over the handlebars and landing on my chin. One at age 3 on a tricycle, one at age 7 when I got my first real bicycle and one few years ago when trying to go over a curb at a wrong angle at 50 km/h.

One could have probably ended much worse if I wasn't so drunk, I literally landed on my face when i fell down from a high wall. Only "scratched" my face real bad, lots of blood. Don't really remember much, except the actual fall and washing off all the blood afterwards.

• Like 1

Well my injuries aren't as bad as the most of you had but here they are: 1 time broke my thumb during a football (soccer) match.

When i was laying on the floor someone fell off they're skateboard and the board went full power in my face and almost ripped my eyelid in 2 pieces by 1 mm

3 years ago: Another football accident (i'm a goalkeeper) when i jumped in the air someone ran into my legs so my my legs could touch the back of my head and ended up with a little lighter form of a hernia. Still everyday i have lowerback problems.

And not really an injury but more like a disease is: Tietze syndrome wich i got since 2/3 months.Tietze syndrome is a benign inflammation of one or more of the costal cartilages. It comes and goes whenever it wants to and unexpected, i must tell you its a really tough pain. It drives you crazy, you dont know how to sit anymore and sometimes you just wanna stop breathing to stop the pain.

So thats my little story :)

Edited by Ninja070
  • Like 1

Got into a bar fight with the Will Grigsby before he was the Flyweight boxing champ. Got my ass handed to me, and had my whole head bruised up. I am not a bad ass but I ain't no pussy either, that dude fucked me up.

Wrecked my quad in the sand dunes at Badlands Offroad Park and cracked my helmet (on sand :/), had a headache for days.

Put my knee cap on the side of my leg with a claw hamer accident.

Shot in thigh with harpoon gun.

Broke right hand 7 times in bar fights.

• Like 5

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Any funny weird injurys? I once blacked out from choking on soft serve ice cream. It was pretty embarrassing, got hot fudge Sunday all over myself. My friend thought it was terribly amusing however.

• Like 2

You Want Peace, Prepare For War